Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-10-2013, 01:30 AM   #25561
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I ordered directly from East India Comapny and McNulty's when I was in Japan. I'm sure they will both ship to B.C.

Stitchawl
I don't care how good it is, i"m not paying 25 POUNDS for shipping. (No, I didn't make that up.)

I'll have to look at one of the other options. They clearly aren't interested in my business.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:43 AM   #25562
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I don't care how good it is, i"m not paying 25 POUNDS for shipping. (No, I didn't make that up.)

I'll have to look at one of the other options. They clearly aren't interested in my business.
That IS nuts! I know that I wouldn't have paid that sort of shipping either. There must have been some other option that I used, because I ordered from them twice. For 25 pounds I'd expect it to be delivered and brewed for me by a uniformed butler!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2013, 06:11 AM   #25563
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Shipping to you is nuts. Crazy expensive.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #25564
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I agree, that's nuts. Shipping to here is always a bit more than one would expect, but this is listed as their shipping price to any non-EU location.
Clearly, I'm going to have to look at alternative teas, or stick with the ones that I have been getting already. The Lion Mountain Keemun is a good way to start the day, though I would prefer a breakfast blend that had some Ceylon in it.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #25565
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

[QUOTE=CRussel;2565355]I agree, that's nuts. Shipping to here is always a bit more than one would expect, but this is listed as their shipping price to any non-EU location. [quote]

There must be another way. As I said, I ordered from them twice while in Japan, and I certainly wouldn't pay those kinds of shipping charges. Unfortunately, I have no idea of how I did it...

Quote:
Clearly, I'm going to have to look at alternative teas, or stick with the ones that I have been getting already. The Lion Mountain Keemun is a good way to start the day, though I would prefer a breakfast blend that had some Ceylon in it.
Amazon carries Taylors of Harrogate's looseleaf "English Breakfast" tea and their "Yorkshire" tea (do NOT order the Yorkshire GOLD tea... very bitter!) And as I said, McNulty's 'Yunan China Black' and a 'Keemun' that are both excellent.

Bombay Sapphire tastes just as good in Thailand as it did in Japan. Interesting....

Stitchawl
Advert
Old 07-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #25566
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Bombay Sapphire tastes just as good in Thailand as it did in Japan. Interesting....
Why would it taste different? It's all an illusion anyway - in reality we are all pugged in to the Matrix. So I'm just going to pretend to drink some Rioja in about an hour's time...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #25567
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Check Tea Gschwendner and see what they have. I have liked pretty much all of their teas and they do win a good number of awards in tea competitions.

Working on a fourth steeping of Camel's Breath Puerh
Old 07-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #25568
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Why would it taste different? It's all an illusion anyway - in reality we are all pugged in to the matrix. So I'm just going to pretend to drink some Rioja in about an hour's time...
Guiness in the US tastes different then Guiness in Canada and the EU. Different countries have different laws on how alcohol can be produced which influences the taste.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #25569
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Guiness in the US tastes different then Guiness in Canada and the EU. Different countries have different laws on how alcohol can be produced which influences the taste.
Yes, but we're talking about Bombay Sapphire Gin here...and anyway, in the Matrix ALL of it's an illusion .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #25570
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
There must be another way. As I said, I ordered from them twice while in Japan, and I certainly wouldn't pay those kinds of shipping charges. Unfortunately, I have no idea of how I did it...

Amazon carries Taylors of Harrogate's looseleaf "English Breakfast" tea and their "Yorkshire" tea (do NOT order the Yorkshire GOLD tea... very bitter!) And as I said, McNulty's 'Yunan China Black' and a 'Keemun' that are both excellent.

Stitchawl
Yes, I saw the Taylors of Harrogate's listing on Amazon, that's my fall back position. (Good info on the Yorkshire Gold, I didn't know.) Meanwhile, I'll poke around for some other purveyors of known good English Breakfast. Of course, I could just settle for Peet's version. It's not bad, but not quite right for me.

I also noticed Taylor's of Harrogate has a Scottish Breakfast. Any comments on that?

Oh, and meanwhile, drinking Peet's Lion Mountain Keemun. A very respectable Keemun at a reasonable price.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:21 PM   #25571
CRussel
(he/him/his)

OK, I'm going to try this in a more rational way. I'll start by trying several blends from a local importer/blender, Murchie's. They're an OLD name in Vancouver, though they went through a rough time a while back and got bought out from the original family, I seem to recall reading. IAC, I'm ordering 4 blends (and one Keemun) in 2 oz packages. This should give me a good feel for their range and quality. Shipping is a straight $5.95 to BC, so no issue there.

Meanwhile, I'll continue looking for reasonable sources of some of Stichawl's favourites. And probably put in an order with Tea Gschwendner, since they look reasonable. But I'm going to try local first.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #25572
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Yes, but we're talking about Bombay Sapphire Gin here...and anyway, in the Matrix ALL of it's an illusion .
The real test, of course, is how it tastes in Bombay.

Right now, tea #3 is waiting. I just finished a small cup of salted Cashews.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #25573
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
There are different brewing formulas for Guinness in different countries - different alcohol contents, different hops, etc.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #25574
Amy GD
Banned
Amy GD is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Right now it's coffee. It will be Bourbon in few hours--just one shot..
Amy GD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #25575
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Just hear those sleigh bells jingle-ing, ring-ting-tingle-ing too
Come on, it's lovely weather for a sleigh ride together with you
Outside the snow is falling and friends are calling, "You Hoo"
Come on, it's lovely weather for a sleigh ride together with you

( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b9BKK27HuQ )

What is going on?!? This is Thailand. How can it be cold?

Good morning, everyone. I've had to even turn off the fans this morning and put on a T-shirt. If it gets any colder I'll have to close the windows too! It must be 26 degrees outside!@!

Thankfully, I have a big mug of hot Ahmad's 'English Breakfast' tea to warm me up, and in a couple of minutes I'll go down to the food lady and buy something hot and spicy. Of course, in a few minutes the sun will break through the cloud cover and the temps will shoot up to 33...

While walking back from the food court at the shopping center last night we noticed that our new eating habits were rather like being in the Military, college freshman year, or at summer camp; we go to the mess hall for most of our meals or get take-away to eat at home. Very different from how we at in Japan, with me cooking almost every meal. That may happen again after we get tired of eating Thai foods, but so far so good. And several times now at lunch I've had Mexican or Italian food. The various food courts also have Indian and Chinese foods as a rule, and they are all delicious.

Quote:
Why would it taste different? It's all an illusion anyway -
I guess it's rather like eating popcorn at the movies or at home... It always tastes different even if you use the same popping oil.

Quote:
Yes, I saw the Taylors of Harrogate's listing on Amazon, that's my fall back position. (Good info on the Yorkshire Gold, I didn't know.)
There are a lot of folks who LIKE 'Yorkshire Gold.' I'm just not one of them. You may love it.

Quote:
I also noticed Taylor's of Harrogate has a Scottish Breakfast. Any comments on that?
If I remember correctly, it has a touch of Lapsang Souchong in it, like Ahmad's 'English Breakfast No.1' Not an 'everyday' drink, but tasty.

Quote:
Meanwhile, I'll continue looking for reasonable sources of some of Stichawl's favourites. And probably put in an order with Tea Gschwendner, since they look reasonable. But I'm going to try local first.
Keep in mind that the Tea Gschwender has been recommended to you by someone who would drink " a fourth steeping of Camel's Breath Puerh."
I find that somewhat frightening.

OK... time for breakie.... and more Ahmad's tea. Can I really hold of until Saturday when my box of tea arrives? I must be stong... be strong... be strong... be....

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 07-10-2013 at 09:05 PM.

Tags
languages, tea enthusiasts, what is in your cup?