Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-20-2010, 06:52 PM   #1
primetime34
Zealot
primetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3, Nook 3G
Potential Kindle Owner

I'm looking at buying a Kindle 3. We already have a Nook. I have a few questions:

1. Is there a way to sort books on the Kindle by tags, like a rooted Nook?
2. If there isn't, what is the best way to sort a collection of books that have over 2,000 titles and I would like them sorted by categories?
3. What is the actual storage size on the Kindle 3?
4. Does it really have a 30 day battery life? Or is that an inflated number?
5. I like to take notes while I read my books (they are mostly nonfiction). Note taking on the Nook is brutal. How is note taking and exporting those notes by book work on the Kindle 3?
6. What formats, exactly, will the Kindle 3 recognize?
7. Does only the PDF format allow landscape, or do other formats as well?
8. Do sideloaded books interact with Kindle purchased books, or are they managed separately?
9. What, if any, hacks are available for the Kindle 3? (kind of like rooting the Nook)
primetime34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:33 PM   #2
ChaoZ
Connoisseur
ChaoZ doesn't litterChaoZ doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Mini, Kobo Touch
I'll attempt to answer as many as I can. Don't have my Kindle yet, but I did a heap of research beforehand.

3. What is the actual storage size on the Kindle 3?
4gb, 3gb accessible to the user.

4. Does it really have a 30 day battery life? Or is that an inflated number?
Inflated but depends on your wireless usage and how much you read obviously.

6. What formats, exactly, will the Kindle 3 recognize?
AZW (Amazon's format), Mobi, TXT, PDF. Calibre will convert other formats to Kindle supported ones though. Amazon has an email service to convert Microsoft .doc files and HTML.

7. Does only the PDF format allow landscape, or do other formats as well?
Yes, landscape can be used in other formats.

9. What, if any, hacks are available for the Kindle 3? (kind of like rooting the Nook)
A jailbreak was just released which allows hacks from previous gen Kindles to work. Right now, I think it includes Screensaver hack, fonts, dictionaries. There should be more in the days to come.
ChaoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2010, 07:43 PM   #3
ChaseKR
Connoisseur
ChaseKR began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Touch, iPad 1 3G
1. You can use "collections", which are basically folders.

2. See above

5. You just push in the five-way controller and start typing on the keyboard. Notes are saved to Amazon's cloud, but you can't export them.

8. When they're in the Kindle's memory, they appear on the same list, but you can sort them via collections.

Good luck, and let us know if you need anything else!
ChaseKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseKR View Post

5. You just push in the five-way controller and start typing on the keyboard. Notes are saved to Amazon's cloud, but you can't export them.
Just a little correction. While it's true that notes can be viewed from Amazon's could, all notes and highlights are saved in a file on the Kindle named "MyClippings.txt" which can be easily transferred and opened on a computer.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:51 PM   #5
ChaseKR
Connoisseur
ChaseKR began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Touch, iPad 1 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Just a little correction. While it's true that notes can be viewed from Amazon's could, all notes and highlights are saved in a file on the Kindle named "MyClippings.txt" which can be easily transferred and opened on a computer.
Ah, great tip, daffy4u! Does it show the context of the note?
ChaseKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2010, 07:53 PM   #6
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
1. Yes - books can be tagged to user-defined collections, i.e. one book can be tagged to multiple collections. Collections can be sorted in several ways.

4. Well, since the 30-day period for we early adopters is not quite up quite yet, I would say it may be very close to what is advertised, provided one does keep the wireless function off. (at least in my experience)

5. I find the note taking capability to work fine for my needs. Notes and highlights are stored in a myclippings.txt file and there is at least one creative individual that has created a Word template to import your notes into a table. You can easily move your myclippings.txt files via drag and drop when connected to your computer.

8. Sideloaded books reside in the same folder (/Documents/) as your Amazon books. The Kindle's Documents folder looks like any other folder containing various files. They can be assigned to collections just as any Kindle book.

Last edited by Skydog; 09-20-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:53 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseKR View Post
Ah, great tip, daffy4u! Does it show the context of the note?
If you highlight the text related to the note then yes, otherwise it will just be the note.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:55 PM   #8
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
1. You can place your books into virtual "Collections" to organize them.

5. Highlights and notes are easy to take; exporting them is a little trickier since Amazon changed the note format so that one of the more useful tools to extract them no longer works under the newer firmware.

But Amazon backs up notes on your Amazon-purchased books to kindle.amazon.com, from which you can then save the page. For both your sideloaded and directly purchased items, the Kindle also places a copy into the auto-generated MyClippings.txt file which you can transfer to your computer.

MyClippings does show some of the context of the note: book title/author name, location #/date added, then a copy of the highlighted text or your note.

There's apparently some sort of limit on how much of your highlights will show up in MyClippings.txt. I think it's something like over 10% highlighted on a DRM-ed book and it'll stop copying the text over, although you can still see all your highlights when you open the actual book.

6. Also add DRM-free Mobi/PRC format (what AZW is a version of, and usually shows up on other sites as) books to the list. If you rename an HTML file so that it has a .txt extension, then if it doesn't have very fancy formatting or tables, you can load and read it on the Kindle without any further "conversion".

8. Sideloaded books have same-display status as Amazon purchases on the actual Kindle. That is to say: you can access and delete them all from the same set of menus, and they're treated just the same by the software as far as being shown on the Home screen, being able to take notes, etc. goes.

There are a few things that you can only do with Amazon-purchased books and vice versa, like text-to-speech (blocked by certain publishers; freely available to your own documents), some of the social-networking tie-in stuff, looking up book descriptions in the Kindle store.

But aside from that, there's no special section you have to go to in order to look at your non-Amazon books, and you can dump them all in the same folder when you transfer via USB.

Hope this helps.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:49 PM   #9
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
The battery life is probably under ideal conditions. Still, for me, it went to about halfway in 2 weeks (then again, I would occasionally charge it via USB while adding books).
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:57 PM   #10
primetime34
Zealot
primetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheese

I have a follow-up on the whole collections discussion....
How would this work with Calibre? I have gone through my 2,000 books and tagged them to the categories I want. Is there some way to use that system (Calibre) to put the books on my Kindle 3 without having to go through and re-tag my entire collection?
Old 09-21-2010, 01:56 AM   #11
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
1. .................

There are a few things that you can only do with Amazon-purchased books and vice versa, like text-to-speech (blocked by certain publishers; freely available to your own documents), some of the social-networking tie-in stuff, looking up book descriptions in the Kindle store.

Hope this helps.
I used the text-to-speech on a Dutch book and it worked, thought it was quite amusing to hear an American voice read Dutch words. Couldn't understand it though

Last edited by desertblues; 09-21-2010 at 02:09 AM.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:01 PM   #12
primetime34
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime34 View Post
I have a follow-up on the whole collections discussion....
How would this work with Calibre? I have gone through my 2,000 books and tagged them to the categories I want. Is there some way to use that system (Calibre) to put the books on my Kindle 3 without having to go through and re-tag my entire collection?

Any help on this??
Old 09-21-2010, 09:28 PM   #13
kathyfitz
Electronics Whore
kathyfitz doesn't litterkathyfitz doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad, iPad mini, iPhone5, Kindle3
At this time, calibre doesn't support Kindle's collections. It would be nice, but I am happy enough with what it does offer.

There is someone here who has created a Kindle Collection Manager for Windows, I can't comment on that (on a Mac), but it seems people like it.
kathyfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:54 PM   #14
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Might want to try this post, starting with #1.....

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=98485&page=2
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:43 AM   #15
primetime34
Zealot

So I read the above thread but I don't fully understand how that would help with what I hope to be able to do.....I have my books sorted by subject matter (Faith, Biography, Historical Fiction, etc). I would like to be able to look at all the books in a given category. Is there some way to do this on the Kindle? Thanks.