Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-18-2009, 11:58 PM   #1
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue!), PRS-650 (Black), iPad, iPod Touch
Defragging my PRS 505

So, has anyone else run a defrag on their 505? I found recently that after loading books, it was taking an inordinate amount of time for the 505 to "return" from USB connect mode, and opening new books, and changing font size, both took *forever*.

It may just be my imagination, but it really does appear that defragging the 505 has helped with the performance. I keep a lot of little documents on the eReader, and periodically go through and delete some; and frequently delete and re-add an updated version, etc. (I have friends who write fanfic, and I load it onto my 505 as Word documents).

Anywho, just wondered if anyone else had tried it, and what kind of results they got. I tried searching, and didn't really see much discussion of this...

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:47 AM   #2
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
I've defragged my SD card, and did notice some improvement. Nothing miraculous or to write home about, but maybe a couple of minutes quicker. I haven't defragged the reader, but I don't keep much on it.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2009, 02:44 PM   #3
ccadi
Alive'n'Reading
ccadi is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Libra 2, Paperwhite 5 SE
Interesting. I had never thought about doing this. It seems very slightly better now it's been done. Thanks for bringing it up.
ccadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:33 PM   #4
reeder
reeder began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
how do you defrag this device? thanks
reeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:59 PM   #5
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue!), PRS-650 (Black), iPad, iPod Touch
I have Vista, so that's all I can speak to, although I imagine XP would be similar.

I hooked the Reader up to my computer, went to it as a drive in Windows Explorer, and then right-clicked on it. Under Properties, I selected the "Tools" tab, which has an option to 'Defrag Now'. When it comes up, make sure you hit "Select Volume" and de-select all other disks but the reader. Then select 'Defrag Now'.

It didn't take it very long to defrag.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2009, 08:14 AM   #6
werpu
werpu began at the beginning.

Device: none
Fair Warning

Dont defrag a flash disk like it is in the sony ebook reader.
I want to give a short explanation what fragmentation is and why it is pointless and even dangerous in such devices.
Fragmentation simply means that data is spread in blocks all over the storage. Now this is a huge isse for a harddisk which has a mechanical head spinning over the disk having to read and write the data. Every head move is time lost to the data reading. But in electronical devices with flash disks you dont have any mechanical part so defragmentation does not help at all, what you gather is a psychological placebo effect. It is even worse, defragmentation means serious write cycles you add to the disk, and flash disks only have a limited number of write cycles until single memory cells fail. So putting a heavy write load onto the disk might damage it in the long run...
werpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:27 AM   #7
iain_benson
Connoisseur
iain_benson began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Also, I believe a lot of flash disks these days have some sort of write-randomization method so that writing to the same block address twice doesn't write to the same physical location, in order to spread the load across the disk, so even when logically unfragmented, the data is still physically fragmented anyway!
iain_benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:58 AM   #8
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
With Linux and a normal hard disk, a safe way to do it (every two years or so) is to copy all your data on some external drive. Then, with the help of some Live CD, delete the content of your partition and copy it back from your external drive.

Of course, with a data-only flash disk, the live CD is not even necessary.

I think this could help...every two years.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:39 AM   #9
werpu
werpu began at the beginning.

Device: none
Yes I did not mention the copy method (which does not work in Windows of course due to inherent filelocking) and other nastyness, because I was not sure i it affects the sony reader if you delete all files from the internal storage. Besides that as I said defragmentation in a flash disk is basically pointless, because you wont gain any significant results, and outright dangerous, although the copy method stresses out the disk way less than a classical defragmentation tool!
werpu is offline   Reply With Quote