Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-24-2009, 01:07 AM   #1
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Question about news fetching and copyright

I'm just wondering aloud here...

When you do a news fetch with Calibre, I assume it's going to (say) the Time magazine site and gathering up all the freely available stories and putting them together in a nice package to put on the reader. Is that right?

I enjoy it, and yet I've wondered whether that isn't potentially a copyright violation. The software is, after all, gathering and reformatting and distributing copyrighted material.

Again, I'm just wondering aloud, but...

I've noticed that all the magazines I subscribe to are getting thinner and thinner as advertising dries up. I presume the online editions of all publications are paid for by online ads. Which are omitted when we get these nice compilations in Calibre.

And so I ask myself...are we helping to kill the golden goose here?

I'd be delighted if someone could tell me that I'm missing something important in the equation.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:51 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
As opposed to visiting the webpages of the stories via an RSS feed and saving them to your disk with the Save to disk function in a browser and then using calibre to convert the webpages to something readable on the reader?

But I get your larger point which is that news publishers are running out of funding sources and calibre isn't helping that. To do that I have to say that calibre does not deliberately strip out the ads. The ads are removed as a side effect of making the webpages legible on the reader. If the publishers wised up and included ads in a way that did not make teir websites unusable on the reader, there would be no need to strip the ads.

EDIT: Another purely legal point is tht calibre doesn't actually distribute the repackaged content. It would distribute the content if I set up a website and made the LRF/EPUB/MOBI files avaialble for download

EDIT2: And from a purely practical viewpoint, the way online adds works is by page views. calibre presents itself as the firefox browser, so it should still register as a pageview. In fact because it downloads *all* the articles, not just the ones you actually read, it's good for the publishers

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 02-24-2009 at 02:00 AM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 01:52 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh and I should add that calibre supports subscription websites like the Wall Street Journal as well, where it will use your account information to login and get the articles for you.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:09 AM   #4
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
As opposed to visiting the webpages of the stories via an RSS feed and saving them to your disk with the Save to disk function in a browser and then using calibre to convert the webpages to something readable on the reader?
Well, leaving aside the fact that I've never joined the RSS universe and therefore don't have a clear sense of how that works, yeah, I guess so.

Quote:
But I get your larger point which is that news publishers are running out of funding sources and calibre isn't helping that. To do that I have to say that calibre does not deliberately strip out the ads. The ads are removed as a side effect of making the webpages legible on the reader. If the publishers wised up and included ads in a way that did not make teir websites unusable on the reader, there would be no need to strip the ads.
Hm, for that to work meaningfully, there would have to be a way for readers to click the ads, yes? Which won't work on a Reader. Not that I ever typically click ads myself, anyway.

I suppose a lot of publishers are even now trying to decide whether to go to a subscription (or partial subscription) model. The subscription prices I've seen for the Kindle seem quite reasonable, and I wonder if that's a model that will take root.

I didn't realize Calibre could handle paid-subscription content. Cool.

Quote:
EDIT: Another purely legal point is tht calibre doesn't actually distribute the repackaged content. It would distribute the content if I set up a website and made the LRF/EPUB/MOBI files avaialble for download
Good point.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:28 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
Hm, for that to work meaningfully, there would have to be a way for readers to click the ads, yes? Which won't work on a Reader. Not that I ever typically click ads myself, anyway.
You can't click on TV ads either.

Quote:
I suppose a lot of publishers are even now trying to decide whether to go to a subscription (or partial subscription) model. The subscription prices I've seen for the Kindle seem quite reasonable, and I wonder if that's a model that will take root.
If they move to a largely subscription based model, I suspect the prices wil increase.
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 02:31 AM   #6
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
You can't click on TV ads either.
No, but for at least some online advertising, there's no ad income until someone clicks on it. I don't know if that's the predominant model or not.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:49 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
No, but for at least some online advertising, there's no ad income until someone clicks on it. I don't know if that's the predominant model or not.
Ah well if you read the news using calibre's book viewer, you can actually click on the ads
Old 02-24-2009, 03:22 AM   #8
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Ah well if you read the news using calibre's book viewer, you can actually click on the ads
Yeah? I didn't know that, either. (If there were ads, of course.)