Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-11-2009, 04:53 AM   #1
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Overdrive throwing weight behind epub

After reading the news item at teleread about Overdrive putting their weight behind epub it becomes a little clearer why they cut fictionwise off recently.
Fictionwise are striving ahead with their new epub-like ereader format which will be on the new Plastic logic reader and I guess it didn't sit well with Overdrive.
Read it at:
http://www.teleread.org/2009/02/10/o...hing-partners/
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:39 AM   #2
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I saw that article too, and while I'm for epub going forward I'm not as thrilled with Overdrive. I believe Fictionwise isn't so much going for an epub-like format as putting ereader DRM on the existing epub format.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 07:47 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
As long as I can't find a reader that can read epub books, I'm not going to stay awake over it.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:25 PM   #4
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
This is the major failing of ePub... the problem was never the e-bable amongst the basic formats. After all, there are plenty of readers out there that can handle mobi, .lit, ereader and ePub. The problem has always been the DRM. So we still have the DRM, only now it becomes hard for readers to know if the ePub they are buying will work on their book reader.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Bookselling and exclusivity sooo do NOT combine well! Inclusion seems to make more sense, to include everyone as potential customers instead of excluding all but those who agree with a specific format. Big DUH!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 02:49 PM   #6
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
As long as I can't find a reader that can read epub books, I'm not going to stay awake over it.
Sony Reader 505 and 700 are currently available

Stanza on the iPhone is also current available
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:52 PM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
And for my own happy preference, I prefer ePub for reading on my laptop or desktop PC. It lets me choose a cute "denim" theme.

EDIT: I'm suffering from a senior blonde moment. I should have said that I prefer eReader format for the denim theme.

Last edited by DixieGal; 02-11-2009 at 02:54 PM. Reason: I'm neither senior nor blonde, but sometimes I'm blonde.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:04 PM   #8
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Sounds like it's time to break Adobe ADEPT DRM....
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:56 PM   #9
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
The Sony 505 and 700 both read ePub books and other devices (but notably not the Kindle) have said they will be adding ePub support.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:37 PM   #10
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
The Sony 505 and 700 both read ePub books and other devices (but notably not the Kindle) have said they will be adding ePub support.
I'm waiting for eReader support of ePub. I know it sucks to have different DRM-wrappers around the ePub format, but if my only choice was Adobe, I'd go without.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:08 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
Sony Reader 505 and 700 are currently available

Stanza on the iPhone is also current available
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I don't want to buy a Sony, besides I've not yet found a store where I can buy one. And don't get me started on the iphone... So, as long as there is no reader for Windows Mobile (or I buy an e-reader), I won't be able to read epub.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:42 AM   #12
mazzeltjes
Addict
mazzeltjes doesn't littermazzeltjes doesn't litter

Device: sony 505
Quote:
I don't want to buy a Sony, besides I've not yet found a store where I can buy one. And don't get me started on the iphone... So, as long as there is no reader for Windows Mobile (or I buy an e-reader), I won't be able to read epub.

If you change your mind on the Sony
it's just over the border
mazzeltjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:47 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzeltjes View Post
If you change your mind on the Sony
it's just over the border
About 40 minutes drive...

I'll be going to the CeBit, I hope to see some examples there
Old 02-12-2009, 05:41 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
After reading the news item at teleread about Overdrive putting their weight behind epub it becomes a little clearer why they cut fictionwise off recently.
Fictionwise are striving ahead with their new epub-like ereader format which will be on the new Plastic logic reader and I guess it didn't sit well with Overdrive.
Read it at:
So the Plastic Logic is going with the other guy's DRM? This is not going to sit well when people purchase ePub with Adobe's DRm and find they are useless.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:32 AM   #15
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au
Originally Posted by tech_au
Fictionwise are striving ahead with their new epub-like ereader format which will be on the new Plastic logic reader..
Read it at:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So the Plastic Logic is going with the other guy's DRM? This is not going to sit well when people purchase ePub with Adobe's DRm and find they are useless.
The quoted article mentioned nothing at all about Plastic Logic, and I haven't seen any articles where Plastic Logic says that they are going to use a Fictionwise/eReader DRM for ePub. Do you have a different link for this, tech_au?
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote