Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-28-2016, 01:45 PM   #1
lsk123
lsk123 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Ubuntu - Cannot Add Books

Kovid, I have been using Calibre for years, thank you!

I ran into the same problem, on Ubuntu 16.04. My version was 2.55, so I upgraded it to 2.60. Same problem:

calibre, version 2.60.0
ERROR: Cannot add books: Failed to add any books, click "Show details" for more information.

Failed to start worker process
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/ipc/pool.py", line 197, in start_worker
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/ipc/pool.py", line 185, in create_worker
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/ipc/pool.py", line 71, in start_worker
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/ipc/simple_worker.py", line 160, in start_pipe_worker
File "subprocess.py", line 710, in __init__
File "subprocess.py", line 1231, in _execute_child
OSError: [Errno 12] Cannot allocate memory

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Leon
lsk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:28 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
This is not the same problem, since in this case the reason the worker process failed is because of a "Cannot allocate memory" error when trying to spawn a subprocess.

Here is a good link which explains the usual reasons for this (and a possible solution): https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...llocate-memory

tl;dr
You ran out of RAM, either for real or because the subprocess wanted to reserve the right to access more RAM than you had available.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2016, 09:35 AM   #3
lsk123
lsk123 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thumbs up No SWAP!

Thank you eschwartz!

That was a pretty dumb mistake on my part, I had a new install of 16.04 without any swap and was only looking at the calibre error. Thanks again for taking the time and providing the relevant link.

Leon
lsk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:27 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Happy to help.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote