Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-25-2008, 01:51 PM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Kindle's Sort Of "Zoom" Feature

Some of you may have already known about this but it's new to me.

I learned of this feature in a discussion on the Amazon boards which used a book called "Basic Relativity" by Richard A. Mould. Some author/publishers have designed their books to show a larger versions of diagrams which don't always render well in e-ink.

You can download a sample and see for yourself (Locations 141-43, Figure 1.1).

For those without Kindles, I'm attaching some images.

zoom1 = the page as it looks at a level 3 size on my Kindle
zoom2 = when I scroll to the image and click, a "zoom" choice is available in the menu
zoom3 and zoom3a = a larger rotated image appears
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zoom1.gif
Views:	1972
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	13810   Click image for larger version

Name:	zoom2.gif
Views:	2283
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	13811   Click image for larger version

Name:	zoom3.gif
Views:	1637
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	13812   Click image for larger version

Name:	zoom3a.gif
Views:	1436
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	13813  

Last edited by daffy4u; 06-25-2008 at 02:14 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 02:06 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
It's also a feature in most versions of MobiReader. I can do the same thing on my Jornada 720 running MobiReader 4.9.

P.S. There are very few Kindle features that weren't already in my version of MobiReader, and it was released back in 2003. Obviously most of the design of the Kindle software was thought up by Mobipocket -not Amazon- before one bought the other in 2005.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2008, 02:11 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So if I use MobiCreator, I have the ability to create files using this "zoom-lite" feature?
Old 06-25-2008, 02:12 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Standard versions of MobiPocket call this feature "image mode". On both the Windows and the Pocket PC version of MobiPocket you can click on an image, and then zoom in on it as far as you wish, pan around it, etc. Works very well.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 02:15 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

This is a very cool feature. I wonder why more Kindle-ized books don't take advantage of it. Maybe those upcoming textbooks will use it.
Advert
Old 06-25-2008, 02:56 PM   #6
dre95060
dre95060 doesn't litterdre95060 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
I don't see any reference to "image mode" in the Mobipocket Creator help documentation. How does this actually work from the publisher's standpoint?
dre95060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:10 PM   #7
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Cool, happy zooming!
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:10 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

I was asking if I could do it in Creator. I haven't figured out how yet. I have MobiPocket Reader open now and I'm trying to find a book with some images in it to see if I can find the "image mode".

Edit: I found an image and just clicked on it and it blew up to full size in MobiPocket Desktop Reader. Now to figure out how to do it in Creator or maybe it happens automatically. Time to experiment.

Last edited by daffy4u; 06-25-2008 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:07 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dre95060 View Post
I don't see any reference to "image mode" in the Mobipocket Creator help documentation. How does this actually work from the publisher's standpoint?
It's not an ebook feature, it's a feature of the reading software. What it means is that when making an ebook, the creator gets to use a full size high resolution image instead of having to scale the image down to fit the screen.

I think.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 04:13 PM   #10
dre95060
dre95060 doesn't litterdre95060 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
It's not an ebook feature, it's a feature of the reading software. What it means is that when making an ebook, the creator gets to use a full size high resolution image instead of having to scale the image down to fit the screen.

I think.
If this is true, then how come when you select the picture in the Mould book the menu appears with "Zoom" in it? Where does that come from? Is there some metadata associated with the image that the reader on the Kindle recognizes?

Dave E
dre95060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 04:23 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
With the Windows MobiPocket Reader I have seen two cases: a) large image in reading view click on it and get image mode with same image and magnify options and b) small image in reading view click on it and get a different (larger) image in image mode with magnify options. Under (a) the image might be downscaled in reader view depending on the window size. An example of (b) is the Oxford Advanced Learner Dictionary 7th ed (sample available), see About dictionaries. I don't know if dictionaries treat images differently, although I can't see why they would.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 04:33 PM   #12
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

From Mobipocket file format documentation - Image support:

Quote:
align, border, width and height attributes are all supported. width & height attributes can be used to implement a "thumbnail" version of an image. However, contrary to web rowser rendering, specifying an width / height larger than the actual image will not have any effect (images are not scaled up).

When the user clicks on a picture that has been resized to fit the screen, the picture opens in the Image Viewer. If you create an HTML hyperlink pointing to the image file directly the image viewer will be launched by clicking on the hyperlink.
I tried width and height attributes a while ago and they did not seem to produce a "thumbnail" version in the Windows Reader, but I may have been doing something wrong.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:25 PM   #13
wallcraft
reader

The image mode works as MobiPocket describes it in Windows MobiPocket Reader, but I have not been able to get it to work on the Kindle for MOBI files. The original example, "Basic Relativity" by Richard A. Mould, is a TOPAZ (.azw1) ebook. Does anyone have a MOBI example with image zoom on the Kindle?
Old 06-25-2008, 10:40 PM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

It worked for me on the prc version of "The Future of the Internet", pages 24-27.

I'll see if I have a mobi file with an image in it.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:59 PM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

I downloaded one of the free books from MobiPocket. Some images zoom when you click on them and others don't unless you choose "image mode" from the right click menu.

"Big People and Little People of Other Lands"

Tags
graphic, image, kindle, topaz, zoom