Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #1
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Free GoodReader alternative for iPad for PDFs? (Cropping margins)

Is there a free program to read PDFs while cropping their margins? Actually, I am interested for an Android version as well. But now iPad is most important.
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:01 AM   #2
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How can I edit the [iPad] tag into the title? In advanced. Sorry, I am new here. (In the Apple section.) Btw. no replies means no one needs this feature besides me? Hm.
Advert
Old 08-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
or, no one knows the answer, or there is no answer. You can crop the PDF using tools in our PDF section and those PDF's can then be read on an iPad. But I am not aware of any tools that do it on the fly while reading.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
I like FoxIt PDF. You can zoom to the width of a column and then lock drag direction.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:27 AM   #5
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Out of curiosity, I just tried this with GoodReader. If I zoom to a section of the page by reverse-pinching, then swipe to the next page, the zoomed area is retained. Is that what you're trying to accomplish? It's obviously not cropping the content, but it does show a smaller section of the page.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #6
avid01
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSue View Post
I like FoxIt PDF. You can zoom to the width of a column and then lock drag direction.
Sounds cool, I'll try this. Foxit on iOS also does not change automatically between landscape and portrait as you rotate the device (as in Android)?
Old 08-12-2013, 08:38 AM   #7
avid01
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
Out of curiosity, I just tried this with GoodReader. If I zoom to a section of the page by reverse-pinching, then swipe to the next page, the zoomed area is retained. Is that what you're trying to accomplish? It's obviously not cropping the content, but it does show a smaller section of the page.
G
Sorry I am not that familiar with the Apple lingo (reverse-pinching), I don't own a device. What do I want to accomplish? I certainly don't need the white margins on a 8" size device.

And yes, it is preferable to crop the margins on the fly while reading. I tried Briss on a scanned book, auto settings, it just cropped out the edge of the text, too; I don't need that.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #8
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid01 View Post
Sounds cool, I'll try this. Foxit on iOS also does not change automatically between landscape and portrait as you rotate the device (as in Android)?
It does rotate. And it keeps the same zoom that you had before rotating.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:07 AM   #9
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post

G
GoodReader has a feature called crop that allows you crop all even and all odd pages separately or all pages. If you touch the "crop" button in the bottom bar, you will enter in a page that allows you put some lines to crop.

BTW iAnnotatePDF can do similar stuff. You pinch and select desired size and then have a option (by right sidebar if you do not personalize) that allows "lock" that position. Then document can be scrolled with that size. And there is an option to enable some kind of "elastic" crop: you can touch with one finger, drag by side and document shows hidden margin. When you lift your finger, page goes to its original position like an elastic.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #10
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Try "Documents" (by Readdle), free, clean, great PDF Reader with margin crop (and a host of other stuff)...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:39 PM   #11
avid01
Addict

For the moment I will only check out Documents by Readdle and Foxit Mobile PDF which are free. As it is the case I am checking out apps in a store as I do not own an iDevice.

Anyways, I (almost) like iBooks, the app. It has horizontal page turning and a cool -also horizontal - scrolling of pages. I wonder if any of your above recommendations (whether free or paid) does the same.

In the meantime I checked out some reader apps for Android and was pretty disappointed. No horizontal page turning I have found.

What I really would like in margin cropping is if, let's say that is the case with most books the side margins are more pronounced than the lift and right ones, so cropping does not fully cut out the left-right, so you still have to scroll down just a little to read the full page (like the default PDF reader in Android), but the professional solution would look like they would completely cut out top-bottom, leave a little on the sides so you don't have to scroll down to see a single page. And it would also use horizontal page turning, that would be awesome. Free or paid, IOS or Android, I wonder if anyone made such a reader app yet.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:49 AM   #12
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Quote:
In the meantime I checked out some reader apps for Android and was pretty disappointed. No horizontal page turning I have found.
I think GoodReader does it if you select it from configuration.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:29 AM   #13
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I've just discovered Duokan. Free from the App Store, works well, turns pages just like a book.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:32 AM   #14
avid01
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
I think GoodReader does it if you select it from configuration.
Do you think or are you sure? In either case, I am looking for a free program for play with it in the Apple store in the first place, as I do not own an iDevice.

Quote:
For the moment I will only check out Documents by Readdle and Foxit Mobile PDF which are free. As it is the case I am checking out apps in a store as I do not own an iDevice.
Guys and gals, do you mind telling me the step by step instructions how to crop margins in both Foxit and Documents? As I was in the Apple store the other day, installed the apps on their machine but could not figure out how to crop the margins. A Google search only brought up this very thread.

To crop margins like this, to be more precise:
Quote:
What I really would like in margin cropping is if, let's say that is the case with most books the side margins are more pronounced than the lift and right ones, so cropping does not fully cut out the left-right, so you still have to scroll down just a little to read the full page (like the default PDF reader in Android), but the professional solution would look like they would completely cut out top-bottom, leave a little on the sides so you don't have to scroll down to see a single page. And it would also use horizontal page turning, that would be awesome. Free or paid, IOS or Android, I wonder if anyone made such a reader app yet.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:34 AM   #15
avid01
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I've just discovered Duokan. Free from the App Store, works well, turns pages just like a book.
Does it crop margins on PDFs? If so, what are the step by step instructions to do so with it?