Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-14-2012, 07:58 PM   #16
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by greens View Post
The Answer
So they do not know that Kobo Glo (fortunately, otherwise I would not bought) can go in landscape mode?
Sadly that's actually a pretty good answer from the help desk as they actually responded to what you wrote them (often the response seems random and ignore what you actually said). Unfortunately the people staffing it don't have the huge range of product knowledge you'll get here, so likely they don't realize that comics can be read and that for pdf etc it will work in landscape.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #17
greens
Connoisseur
greens began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Sadly that's actually a pretty good answer from the help desk as they actually responded to what you wrote them (often the response seems random and ignore what you actually said). Unfortunately the people staffing it don't have the huge range of product knowledge you'll get here, so likely they don't realize that comics can be read and that for pdf etc it will work in landscape.
Thank you @Robko I understand.
greens is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2012, 11:16 PM   #18
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
So they do not know that Kobo Glo (fortunately, otherwise I would not bought) can go in landscape mode?
They're thinking of ePub comic books, like the ones sold by Kobo; comics like "The Walking Dead" and similar are very large ePub files which only have graphics... and no, you can't read ePubs in landscape mode on the Kobo.

And while you can read comics in landscape mode... it's not optimal. If you want to turn pages while zoomed, you'll be best served using the arrow keys, which means a bar at the bottom with the slider and arrow/double-arrow buttons.

As I also said elsewhere, and as 9littlebees has said, if you want to read comics landscape... the Glo isn't the best options. Nor is any 5-6" eInk screen, for that matter; the pages are too small when in landscape mode if you're viewing the full image for a two-page spread, or else you have to scroll too much if it's just a one-page spread.

You want to do two pages in landscape? Get a 9-10" tablet.
Haesslich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:32 AM   #19
greens
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
They're thinking of ePub comic books, like the ones sold by Kobo; comics like "The Walking Dead" and similar are very large ePub files which only have graphics... and no, you can't read ePubs in landscape mode on the Kobo.

And while you can read comics in landscape mode... it's not optimal. If you want to turn pages while zoomed, you'll be best served using the arrow keys, which means a bar at the bottom with the slider and arrow/double-arrow buttons.

As I also said elsewhere, and as 9littlebees has said, if you want to read comics landscape... the Glo isn't the best options. Nor is any 5-6" eInk screen, for that matter; the pages are too small when in landscape mode if you're viewing the full image for a two-page spread, or else you have to scroll too much if it's just a one-page spread.

You want to do two pages in landscape? Get a 9-10" tablet.
For splitting images there is this free software wich many in Italy say is very good and the developer is italian (maybe I will try a donation if it works well): here is the FAQ http://mmsoft.info/?page_id=23

You can download this version if you want because I read that the last one have some bug: http://depositfiles.com/files/nea56ddkq

I'm tryng it now and it have removed the white corner in all the images, it do all in automatic giving a folder (processing the whole images). And also split double images in two and display the right order of pages (right to left for manga, and left to right for comics), and I belive it do many other things it should be all written into the FAQ.

Example of single image did now by me

Before (with corner, look at the line wich I track)
-------------------------

After processing (without)

Example of double image

Before

After

Last edited by greens; 10-15-2012 at 05:34 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:55 AM   #20
9littlebees
Connoisseur
9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice

Device: Sony Xperia Arc; Kobo Glo
Quote:
For splitting images there is this free software wich many in Italy say is very good and the developer is italian (maybe I will try a donation if it works well): here is the FAQ http://mmsoft.info/?page_id=23

You can download this version if you want because I read that the last one have some bug: http://depositfiles.com/files/nea56ddkq

I'm tryng it now and it have removed the white corner in all the images, it do all in automatic giving a folder (processing the whole images). And also split double images in two and display the right order of pages (right to left for manga, and left to right for comics), and I belive it do many other things it should be all written into the FAQ.

Example of single image did now by me
Well, that software would definitely help, but again, I would hesitate to recommend a 6 inch eInk reader specifically for viewing comics.

I've read some comics electronically in the past, but did so on my widescreen PC monitor, which at 24 inches could comfortably display two pages without needing to zoom.

I also have a ton of PDFs (mainly photography books from Craft & Vision, but also some roleplaying supplements) which I would love to view on a portable device, but they are just too difficult to get working well on my Glo, so I will either continue to use my PC monitor, or maybe splash out on a cheap Chinese 10 inch tablet, Christmas funds permitting.

Anyway, I will use your recommended application on some free CBR / CBZ comics I have, to see what difference removing the borders makes on the Glo, but from my perspective:

(1) I will never read in landscape mode because it is not implemented well;
(2) Comics with lots of / small text are still going to be difficult to read.

I'll try to do this sometime this week and post my results and some photos here. Hopefully this will give you a good idea of why I wouldn't recommend an eInk reader.
9littlebees is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #21
greens
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9littlebees View Post
Well, that software would definitely help, but again, I would hesitate to recommend a 6 inch eInk reader specifically for viewing comics.

I've read some comics electronically in the past, but did so on my widescreen PC monitor, which at 24 inches could comfortably display two pages without needing to zoom.

I also have a ton of PDFs (mainly photography books from Craft & Vision, but also some roleplaying supplements) which I would love to view on a portable device, but they are just too difficult to get working well on my Glo, so I will either continue to use my PC monitor, or maybe splash out on a cheap Chinese 10 inch tablet, Christmas funds permitting.

Anyway, I will use your recommended application on some free CBR / CBZ comics I have, to see what difference removing the borders makes on the Glo, but from my perspective:

(1) I will never read in landscape mode because it is not implemented well;
(2) Comics with lots of / small text are still going to be difficult to read.

I'll try to do this sometime this week and post my results and some photos here. Hopefully this will give you a good idea of why I wouldn't recommend an eInk reader.
Thank you! Theoretically with this software only for certain manga the size of the text would be close at the original ones. I belive that manga and eink is awesome, it is natively in black and white and it have a great appeal to me. but for other kind of "books", like photography books wich have great colors and PDF format, I totally agree, we need another kind of device. also for USA comics because they are in some kind of A4 format (maybe not exactly A4 but bigger than a classic manga). maybe one day if engineers will produce a great eink color will be different, with a very good "pdf reflow" feature. "maybe" that will be good also on a 6 inch. I do not know but I hope yes!
Old 10-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #22
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Wrong again

With a zoomed in PDF, again drag the page all the way to one side. A black strip will appear with an arrow in it. Press the arrow to turn the page.
thank you for that!!! i kept reading that the only way was through the menu using the arrows...which was such an annoying way to do it.

any more tips on pdf use? like adding notes/bookmarking while zoomed in?
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #23
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
thank you for that!!! i kept reading that the only way was through the menu using the arrows...which was such an annoying way to do it.

any more tips on pdf use? like adding notes/bookmarking while zoomed in?
That was what I had seen as well, but that hint was put up by one of the Kobo developers recently. As to bookmarks/notes, sorry can't help you there.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #24
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That was what I had seen as well, but that hint was put up by one of the Kobo developers recently. As to bookmarks/notes, sorry can't help you there.
thanks anyway! maybe they will share more of their secrets with us someday
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:15 AM   #25
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
Yes to both, I've had good success reading graphic novels. Wish the PDF was as good...
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #26
greens
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewacide View Post
Yes to both, I've had good success reading graphic novels. Wish the PDF was as good...
can I ask you what do you do not like with pdf? do you mean manga/comics in pdf format? thanks!
Old 10-26-2012, 03:23 AM   #27
Nightyume
Addict
Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Device: HTC One, Galaxy Note 10.1, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9littlebees View Post
No worries on responding to your PM, greens. Whether it is "fine" enough to read in the standard vertical / portrait position really depends on the manga / comic you're reading. If the text is large enough, no problem.

Otherwise (as I recommended in the PM), you should consider a 7-10 inch Android tablet, as decent Chinese ones can be had for not a lot of money and there are some excellent CBR / CBZ format reader apps that are available either for free or for reasonably cheap (eg. Moon+ Reader).
Yes and no. It depends on how you want to use it. If you don't want to zoom in a lot then many 7 inch tablets won't be much better, especially with manga where having the ability for colour isn't of much use. The reason I say this is that though you will notice the difference in size between a 6 inch screen and a 7 inch screen. The ratio is better on a a e-ink reader (when compared to most android tablets) and the resolution can even be better on the glo. Many android tablets, especially cheap ones have a 1024x600 resolution meaning that if you fit the entire page on the screen the Glo will provide more detail thanks to the ratio+resolution combo. The ipad Mini for example will have a bigger screen but almos the same resolution (1024x768 for the mini vs. 1024 vs.758 for the glo) but then again I personally don't like Apple products and the glo is much cheaper (it's a personal preference based on Apple's operating systems, I'm not bashing them and I do have to say I LOVE the keyboard on the macbook pro...).

If you want a tablet for reading comics/image oriented books then the best options start with 7inch tablets with a 1280x800 screen, followed by the 10 inch tablets ranging between 1280x800 to 1980x1200, and of course the new (and new new) iPad with their "retina" display. But as 9littlebees points out it also depends on budget. These are all more expensive than the Glo if you're going brand name (the cheapest options being the Nexus 7 I think which comes in at 200 dollars in the US and more if you're looking to import it). The cheap Chinese tablets can be comparable in price for 7 inchers and 30 or 40 dollars more for larger ones but you have to see if there are any local sellers because importing them can get costly depending on import fees in your country (here in Mexico Chinese products can incur import fees ranging from 2.5% to 500% depending on the characteristics of the product). They also tend to not have as strict quality control as other brands. I've seen comments of bubbles under the screen and such so it all depends on what you're willing to live with (if you send it back for small defects you incur the shipping fees, restocking fees, etc. making it possibly cost the same as a brand name tablet).

@Greens, sorry for not addressing your actual questions. I haven't got the Glo yet (my dad did me the favor of getting one for me but now I have to wait for it to get from Quebec to NY to Mexico, or worst case scenario Quebec to Mexico). But based on my experience on a 7 inch tablet with a 1024x600 resolution, the Glo should be fine for reading portrait oriented pages on most manga. American comics...not so much, even if they are black and whitesince as you pointed out, they use bigger pages meaning potentially more detail and (proportionally) smaller text. At least on tablets it's really easy to zoom in and out.
Nightyume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:04 AM   #28
Yosi
Yosi began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Hello, I have not yet the Kobo Glo.
Though Kobo touch looks fine even without resizing high resolution JPEG,
how does Kobo Glo look like?
It is bother to change resolution for Kobo Glo.
Yosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #29
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
With the 758x1024, it depends on the source file: if the regular resolution if the jpeg is near that size, there's no issue. If its a LOT bigger than that, the picture isn't as ugly as with the 600x800, but it won't be as good as it'd be on a higher resolution screen. I'd recommend using something like MangaAI or similar to resize to the native 758x1024 resolution for best quality (and to save storage space).
Haesslich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #30
artaeun
artaeun began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hey guys, i just did a little script today to help me put some mangas on my kobo, and i thought i'd share it with you guys.
Anyone wanting to have a nice collection of manga volumes in just one CBR or CBZ should find this particularly comfortable.
What this script does it that it basically puts all files in a sub-directory in order and renames them properly, so that if you have a folder in which you've downloaded several chapters (or hundreds of chapters) of a manga with a program like "DomDom Manga downloader" (google it), it will extract every page in the root in order, so that you can compress them immediately and store the CBR in your kobo.

Maybe this will seem confusing to some of you, so i'll just describe the procedure:

- First, download "DomDom Manga downloader" from here;
- Install it (you'll need to have installed .NET Framework to make it work; just keep your windows updated and you won't have problems opening it).
- Open it and download a manga of your choice (just right-click and choose "Download all"). You'll find a folder with the manga's name in your C:\ Drive; DomDom downloads there by default.
- Now download ActivePython from here (the script is made in python) and install it. Once everything's up and running download the script_manga.rar and extract it's contents in the root directory of the manga you've downloaded and launch the file.
If for example you've downloaded HunterXHunter, you'll have a folder in C: called "HunterXHunter" with inside, folders still called "Hunter X Hunter" and numbered from 1 to 323. Just copy the script alongside these folders and double click it.
- Once the script has finished working, you'll find tons of jpg files numbered from 00001 to X (where X is a big number of pages ).
- Now just select all pages, right click them (and if you have WinRar installed) and just choose "add to archive". Once the archiving is done, rename the file from "archivename.rar" to "archivename.cbr".
- uploaded into your kobo and have fun

if there are any questions or problems with this little guide i made, just tell me and i'll correct it ASAP. When i'll have a bit more time I'm gonna make a more complete program that manages all by itself meanwhile, enjoy ^^
Attached Files
File Type: rar script_manga.rar (361 Bytes, 423 views)
artaeun is offline   Reply With Quote