Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-11-2013, 04:26 AM   #31
szfisher
Enthusiast
szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kindel Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
A complication was that I had to reset a boot counter manually. The file /var/local/upstart/lab126_gui.restarts had the value "2" in it. I did "echo 0 > /var/local/upstart/lab126_gui.restarts" to reset the boot counter. [Thanks for the suggestion, nueva!]
Hi, geekmaster

Can you tell me how to reset the boot counter manually via serial? How do you enter Login Prompt from fastboot? It is very helpful for unbricking my KPW.
szfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:48 AM   #32
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by szfisher View Post
Hi, geekmaster

Can you tell me how to reset the boot counter manually via serial?

How do you enter Login Prompt from fastboot?

It is very helpful for unbricking my KPW.
(1) same command as you quoted above
(2) you don't
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2013, 06:02 AM   #33
szfisher
Enthusiast
szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
(1) same command as you quoted above
(2) you don't
I cann't get into Login Prompt from fastboot, so I don't know where I input the command.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:09 AM   #34
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
From fastboot you can flash the diags partition with an image containing USBnet/sshd support.
Then you can use fastboot to boot into diags, activate USBnet, use ssh client to log in from PC via USB and input any commands you like (preferably after mounting mmcblk0p3 partition first).
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:48 AM   #35
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
I cann't get into Login Prompt from fastboot, so I don't know where I input the command.
Your statement:
Quote:
Can you tell me how to reset the boot counter manually via serial?
The only thing "serial" on the device is the operator's console, serial port.

It is a command line interface (**THE** command line interface via hardware).
Type the commands there.
Connecting to the serial port is index in the Prefix_Index for all model Kindles.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #36
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I think a hint towards Kubrick seems to be in order :-) szfisher - depending on what you want to do (not clear to me), you might want to checkout Kubrick (in the sticky threads in this board).

Edit: I see that more requests are scattered over other threads now. It's still not clear to me, but it seems we're talking about a KPW, not a KT. So no Kubrick then...
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #37
szfisher
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
I think a hint towards Kubrick seems to be in order :-) szfisher - depending on what you want to do (not clear to me), you might want to checkout Kubrick (in the sticky threads in this board).

Edit: I see that more requests are scattered over other threads now. It's still not clear to me, but it seems we're talking about a KPW, not a KT. So no Kubrick then...
Yes, we're talking about unbricking a KPW via serial port. I have updated the root partition by recovery menu, but I don't know how to get into command line to clear boot counter. Unless I clear the counter, KPW always boots into Need Repaired screen.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #38
szfisher
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Your statement:

The only thing "serial" on the device is the operator's console, serial port.

It is a command line interface (**THE** command line interface via hardware).
Type the commands there.
Connecting to the serial port is index in the Prefix_Index for all model Kindles.
If I don't get into command line interface, I cann't type any line command. What I can do is selecting menu.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #39
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
dsmid already suggested to boot diags, but I'm not sure if that applies to the KPW. You should really edit your Device entry in your user signature...

That said, I know that knc1 said otherwise in the other thread, but option "3. Load MMC0 over USB storage" sounds like it would export the full device including all partitions, allowing you to edit files on the /var partitions (from a Linux system, I guess). Maybe knc1 can comment why he thought that it would not be wise to chose that. Does it something different? Out of interest, what does option "q" trigger for you?
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:13 PM   #40
szfisher
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
dsmid already suggested to boot diags, but I'm not sure if that applies to the KPW. You should really edit your Device entry in your user signature...
Thanks, I finally enter the command line by following rastik's step:

- attach serial cable
- boot
- immediately after restart enter any key to stop autoboot
- enter "bist" and then "fastboot"
- via fastboot tool flash diags partitions on PC
- reboot
- enter "run bootargs_diags ; bootm 0xE41000" to boot to diags
- get login prompy (menu "D) Exit, Reboot or Disable Diags" and then "L) Exit to login prompt")
- login as root (password:fiona2bc)

Haha! The command line is here, you can type command as you like.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #41
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Thanks, I finally enter the command line by following rastik's step:

- attach serial cable
- boot
- enter "bist" and then "fastboot"
- via fastboot tool flash diags partitions on PC
- reboot
- enter "run bootargs_diags ; bootm 0xE41000" to boot to diags
- get login prompy (menu "D) Exit, Reboot or Disable Diags" and then "L) Exit to login prompt")
- login as root (password:fiona2bc)

Haha! The command line is here, you can type command as you like.
If you can, please add this information to https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Touch_Hacking at the appropriate position (=where you see fit) , so it doesn't get lost - thanks!
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #42
szfisher
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
If you can, please add this information to https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Touch_Hacking at the appropriate position (=where you see fit) , so it doesn't get lost - thanks!
Thanks! My complete steps to unbrick KPW via serial port is here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=206767&page=2
OK, I have added it to that wiki page "Unbricking".

Last edited by szfisher; 03-11-2013 at 09:55 PM.

Tags
kindle, recovery, root, serial, touch