Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #1456
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Hmmm....looks interesting, thanks for the tip (1st book in the series $7.99 at amazon). By the way, FYI, this series doesn't appear to be urban fantasy and neither is Kate Shugak or the Tony Hillerman books. Instead they are about Native American protagonists.

As is Jane Whitefield
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:39 PM   #1457
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Jane Whitefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
As is Jane Whitefield
Helen
Hmmm...er...I thought that's what I said!?

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2012, 09:03 PM   #1458
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
My take on Urban Fantasy is a story with supernatural elements set in modern society.

Wikipedia says:

Ahh thank you. Like your take on it a bit better than wikipedia's. I usually don't like to think of genres when reading. Maybe I will pick up something else genre wise after finishing Harry Dresden (for now at least until after Cold Days).
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:10 PM   #1459
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Genres

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Ahh thank you. Like your take on it a bit better than wikipedia's. I usually don't like to think of genres when reading. Maybe I will pick up something else genre wise after finishing Harry Dresden (for now at least until after Cold Days).
Actually I highly dislike labeling things like that, but conversationally, book genres are actually quite handy.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:13 PM   #1460
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Urban Fantasy has basically swallowed up what used to be called Modern Fantasy.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2012, 11:23 PM   #1461
bizzybody
Addict
bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various PalmOS PDAs, Android Phones, Sharper Image Literati
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Urban Fantasy has basically swallowed up what used to be called Modern Fantasy.
*chomp* *chew chew* *gurgle* *burp*

My view of urban fantasy is a tale with magical/fantastical elements set in a world pretty much identical to the real time and place the author sets the story in. In other words Dresden Files = Urban Fantasy.

Set the story in the past of our reality and it's alternate history/urban fantasy, unless it's in a rural setting or medieval type town/city/castle.

Set it in the future on Earth and/or add in items like an alien invasion and it becomes Sci-Fantasy like David Weber's "Out of the Dark". That's a pretty good one, plays out as straight Sci-Fi until near the end a rather, um, unique solution to the invasion happens. Could also have been done as straight Sci-Fi but the book probably would've been twice as long to show how the humans defeated the aliens.

If it's in a world that has absolutely nothing to do with Earth, but it's chock full of magic without any scientifictional underpinnings, then you have "straight" fantasy like the Discworld series, The Deed of Paksenarrion and a few million other books.
bizzybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:51 AM   #1462
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzybody View Post
*chomp* *chew chew* *gurgle* *burp*

My view of urban fantasy is a tale with magical/fantastical elements set in a world pretty much identical to the real time and place the author sets the story in. In other words Dresden Files = Urban Fantasy.
Robert Holdstock's fantasy classic "Mithago Wood" is set in the modern day, but I absolutely would NOT classify it as "Urban Fantasy".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:39 AM   #1463
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Robert Holdstock's fantasy classic "Mithago Wood" is set in the modern day, but I absolutely would NOT classify it as "Urban Fantasy".
True, Harry. One of my all-time favourites, that (it's 'Mythago Wood', btw). I'd say that Urban Fantasy must be, well, urban. Or at least mostly. And Ryhope Wood is about as far from urban as it's possible to get
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:52 AM   #1464
DHNightshadow
Zealot
DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyager
So, now it is christmas and I will read "Cold days". Did read the codex alera serie between, and can't stand in the moment any book with war. Was a bit much with all
the book read at once.
I am happy, to read the new book, and then have to wait like all the others of the new realease hopefully in 2013.
DHNightshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #1465
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
I'd say that Urban Fantasy must be, well, urban.
My daughter decided to do a report on Dresden for lit' class. When she asked what genre it was and then asked what specifically "urban" fantasy was, this was my answer.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #1466
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Cold Days (The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher Fan Teaser)

Published on Dec 4, 2012

This is an UNOFFICIAL Fan Teaser for "Cold Days" - the 14th Novel of "The Dresden Files".

Back from the dead, Chicago Wizard Harry Dresden, the newly appointed Winter Knight is on a mission for Queen Mab. Reuniting with old friends, facing new foes, and coming to terms with his own new power and position, what will his future hold? Find out in the next exciting novel from New York Times Bestselling Author, Jim Butcher.

strikeaposefilm

Last edited by alansplace; 12-24-2012 at 02:28 PM. Reason: oops!
Old 12-24-2012, 02:23 PM   #1467
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool The Dresden Files Movie

Uploaded on Jul 11, 2010

This is my first video so let me know what you think. Even though I liked who I picked, I can also think of several other people who would be perfect for the part so tell me who you would pick please. No copyright infringement intended. I do not own anything. Song is Savior by Rise Against.

trowand1812

Old 12-25-2012, 03:02 AM   #1468
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-25-2012, 06:36 AM   #1469
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Merry Christmas!

Oh Well thank you, Merry Christmas to you to
Old 12-25-2012, 06:50 AM   #1470
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
[...]

Uploaded on Jul 11, 2010

This is my first video so let me know what you think. Even though I liked who I picked, I can also think of several other people who would be perfect for the part so tell me who you would pick please. No copyright infringement intended. I do not own anything. Song is Savior by Rise Against.

trowand1812

I like most of the people, the only one I don't like is Harry. Something not right with it. He is not tall enough, not grumpy enough. Never clear to me how old he actually is, and then of course never clear how old he looks. But since he seldom uses mirrors, Harry never describes himself other than clothing.

So in short Harry needs to be noticably larger and I don't know - like Robert Donner. Plus he played in El Dorado - not sure if he is big enough or would be if he was still alive.

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy