Notices

Old 07-18-2011, 04:41 PM   #1
steven_berg
steven_berg began at the beginning.

Device: kindle/sony
Question MOBI and PDF

Hi

I am a new user

Some of books in caliber say they are both MOBI and PDF format - but when I put them on my Kindle the kindle says they are pdf's and I cannot reformat the font etc etc.

Is this usual?

Can I transfer just the MOBI format to my kindle?

Thanks in advance

Steven_Berg
steven_berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You could try adjusting the valid file types on the Kindel Device Interface plugin to disable PDF's. MOBI's SHOULD be transferred nefore PDF's but...

Go to Preferences | Plugins | Device Interface, select the correct Kindle plugin and customize it. Clear the check mark next to PDF.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2011, 07:20 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
It may be better that rather than clearing the checkmark for PDF (since the Kindle CAN handle them), just make sure that MOBI is higher up the list than PDF so that MOBI will be sent when both are present, but PDF if that is the only option.

If PDF is unitcked, then when you try and send a book to the Kindle Calibre will ask if you want to try and first convert the PDF to MOBI before sending it. Bearing in mind how unpredicatable PDF->NOBI conversions can be you may prefer in this case to use the PDF without conversion and to do so PDF needs to remain checked.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:50 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
It may be better that rather than clearing the checkmark for PDF (since the Kindle CAN handle them), just make sure that MOBI is higher up the list than PDF so that MOBI will be sent when both are present, but PDF if that is the only option.

If PDF is unitcked, then when you try and send a book to the Kindle Calibre will ask if you want to try and first convert the PDF to MOBI before sending it. Bearing in mind how unpredicatable PDF->NOBI conversions can be you may prefer in this case to use the PDF without conversion and to do so PDF needs to remain checked.
Of course! I had thought of mentioning to check priorities but took the easy way out
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote