Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-17-2011, 09:06 PM   #1
JBE
JBE began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader, iPhone
Sony PRS600 replacement

Okay, my reader is having problems. Is it true that a replacement will cost $233? and a basic repair price (just to get it looked at) is $88? Should I just dump it and get a new reader?
JBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:36 PM   #2
RajS
Enthusiast
RajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmos

Device: PRS-950
No idea.

The PRS-650 is a better unit and can be found for $170 or so.

I'm not sure I'd pay $88 to have it repaired.

If you bought it and paid for it with a credit card you should check with your card issuer to see if they extended the warranty for you. Many credit cards double the warranty as a matter of course as a benefit of using the card.

Best of luck.
RajS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2011, 06:21 AM   #3
Flip Martian
Connoisseur
Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.

Device: Sony PRS 350, iPad, Sony PRS-T1
Don't rule out buying from ebay. I picked up my 350 boxed, as new, from there for less than half list price. A 650 at a suitable price would probably be better vfm than a new one or an $88 repair quite possibly.
Flip Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:15 AM   #4
JBE
JBE began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajS View Post
No idea.

The PRS-650 is a better unit and can be found for $170 or so.

I'm not sure I'd pay $88 to have it repaired.

If you bought it and paid for it with a credit card you should check with your card issuer to see if they extended the warranty for you. Many credit cards double the warranty as a matter of course as a benefit of using the card.

Best of luck.
Thanks! I'll check that out. What's the big difference between 600 and 650? (no fast-flip of pages?? smile)
JBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:39 AM   #5
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBE View Post
Thanks! I'll check that out. What's the big difference between 600 and 650? (no fast-flip of pages?? smile)
The biggest difference is the screen. Pearl plus no touch screen layer equals a significantly improved screen.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2011, 10:01 AM   #6
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBE View Post
My 600 is still going strong, but I just picked up a 350 (taking advantage of BestBuy closing them out) and the difference in the screen is simply amazing!!!! If you can find a 650 to purchase, you're gonna love it.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote