Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-12-2011, 11:53 PM   #1
eggheadbooks1
Read, don't parrot.
eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kobo Touch, Aldiko for Android
New Mobi files and Kindle's first line indent

When using the on-its-last-legs Mobipocket Creator, an HTML file with a 0pt first line indent was automatically changed to a first line indent of 10pt upon conversion to mobi. Similarly, an identical HTML file uploaded directly to Kindle had the same annoying first line indent added.

I now use either InDesign's Kindle plug-in or Calibre to create my mobi files, and what I need to know from the group is this: if I have block paragraphs (flushed left, no first line indent), when I upload my mobi file to Kindle, will the formatting be respected or will that irritating first line indent be added?

All my tests on Kindle for PC and Kindle Previewer show the new-generation mobi files unaltered, but I don't know if this will hold true once uploaded to Kindle. I had one file sent by a colleague to Kindle's @free.Kindle for conversion to azw and all was well. Am wondering if this will hold.

Has anyone uploaded an InDesign or Calibre mobi to Kindle and had the first line indent added? Or was the formatting respected?
eggheadbooks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:29 AM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggheadbooks1 View Post
All my tests on Kindle for PC and Kindle Previewer show...
My understanding is what you see in the Kindle Previewer is what it will look like on a Kindle.

What you see in the Kindle for PC app may not reflect what it looks like elsewhere. However, I have never heard about a rendering difference between Kindle for PC and Kindle for X.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
calibre, formattiing, kindle, mobi, paragraph indent