Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 12-23-2010, 04:08 PM   #1
henke
Edge User

Reading html files

Anyone succeded in reading HTML files, I have added some, but if I try to read, i get consequently the warning: no activity!! Regards H.L

Old 12-23-2010, 05:13 PM   #2
sjarrel
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by henke View Post
Anyone succeded in reading HTML files, I have added some, but if I try to read, i get consequently the warning: no activity!! Regards H.L
If you tap on the html-file a menu opens. Choose html-viewer. Works fine for me.

Advert
Old 12-24-2010, 08:34 AM   #3
henke
Edge User

Reading Html files

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjarrel View Post
If you tap on the html-file a menu opens. Choose html-viewer. Works fine for me.
Does not yet work with me that way, I only get the message "no activity" may be it is due to the internet connection I do not have yet( installing another router).

Bij mij werkt het (nog) niet, misschien omdat ik nog niet verbonden ben met internet, ben nog bezig met een andere router. Ik krijg alleen de mededeling "no activity" en geen menu ofzo. Groet HL Hoorn

Old 12-24-2010, 01:42 PM   #4
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Try using your file manager to open the files, browse to the file and tap. A menu should open asking which app to use.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:14 AM   #5
pewterbot9
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by henke View Post
Hello henke. Like you, I couldn't view any of my downloaded html files. When I tapped on any one of them, via the "Storage" app, I got the same error: "no activity found". Then when I tried same via the "ES File Explorer", I got the error: "Web page not available".

HOWEVER, a little further playing around, and I finally got the html files to load via "ES File Explorer". For some reason, it can't handle space characters, thus fails to load the file. So just rename those files by getting rid of the spacebar characters (replace them with hyphens if you like). There might be other non-ASCII characters that are problematic, I just haven't tested that out yet. At any rate, just be aware that the failure to load a saved html file may be the file name, and to change it accordingly.

But if worse comes to worse, one can always use an html-to-pdf convertor. Oh, and don't use the "Storage" app, use the ES File Explorer instead. (Not sure why "Storage" still fails to load properly named html files.)

Here is a free utility that converts various formats such as html and text, to pdf. And it works just fine:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-...PDF-Plus.shtml

Advert
Old 12-26-2010, 03:18 AM   #6
pewterbot9
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyennedonna View Post
Try using your file manager to open the files, browse to the file and tap. A menu should open asking which app to use.
He can do that till the cows come home, but it just won't work. Problem is the file name: get rid of or replace the offending character(s).

Old 12-27-2010, 05:35 AM   #7
pewterbot9
Edge User

Cool There's an app you'll like

From the Entourage store, this free app, "HYReader," will read html files (along with chm/txt/umd):

http://www.entourageedge.com/apps/e-books.html

(I can't give you the download link because I'm posting from home, where I only have dialup and am using my desktop system. Entourage will not provide the link unless you're connected with their device.)

HyReader works very well: you can enlarge or reduce the font, and rotate. You can't do that with the ES File Explorer, I've discovered. HyReader will even work with embedded links, like a regular web browser. Nice.

Just wondering why, though, clicking on an html file won't automatically call up the native browser? A glitch perhaps? Or maybe the browser doesn't have permission to access any files on the device.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:00 PM   #8
kenjennings
Edge User

I recall reading on some other sites this is a general issue with Android itself. It was judged opening html files directly could be an unsafe/insecure activity in some finely contrived circumstances. There were many complaints from posters and I think a statement to change the behavior (in some version of Android newer than what we have.)