Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-08-2011, 02:50 AM   #1
JPS
Connoisseur
JPS doesn't litterJPS doesn't litter

Device: iPad II
(PRS-650) Delete unwanted "collections ?

Hi !

Finally I managed to buy a PRS-650... Until now, I'm quite happy with it, but a few things bother me:

1) when I loaded some ebooks (PDF, EPUB), the software automatically put them in different "collections" that it created, ie. ""Action and Adventure", Humour", etc...!
I would prefer to have ALL my ebooks in ONE "collection" (directory?)... can I move them from their collection into a "base collection" ?

2) using CALIBRE instead of the Sony software, I tried to copy the ebooks FROM my PRS-650 to my PC -to re-arange them-, but I haven't found HOW to do it ! Any idea ?

Thanks in advance for any help...

J-P.
JPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:04 AM   #2
tvuongpham
Banned
tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle Paperwhite 2nd gen, Kindle KB (dead) PRS-T1, PRS 350
I have this issue too... so to make quick work of it. I use the default reader library software from Sony to delete unused collections.

I personally think most of the metadata tags are overkill in the "collections" label.. lol

I don't need to have 10 sort tags per book.

Nonfiction
Fiction
Young Adult fiction - as my daughter sometimes borrows my Sony..but she wants a Kindle or Nook (gasp)
Autobiography
Sci-Fi
and I add collections (trilogies etc together)

etc..
for Example one book I am reading.. World Without end.
has the follow tags downloaded when I added the metadata:

Fiction, General, Suspense, Historical, England, Historical - General, Romance, Ken - Prose & Criticism, Great Britain - History - 14th century, Black death, Great Britain, Follett, Historical fiction, English, Black Death - England, Fiction - Historical, 14th century, History

Each "Tag" becomes a collection for the Sony Readers! Eeek!

So
1. Clean up your Calibre Tags
2. Remove in bulk your collections via the default sony "Reader Library" program

YMMV
Have fun
tvuongpham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2011, 03:06 AM   #3
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
There is probably a better way to do this, but what I do with my 350 when in Calibre is go to "Device", and there is a column there (like a tab column) where I can put what collection I want them in. (And remove unwanted collections - the first time I connected the 350 and loaded files to it from Calibre a large number of categories, one for every category i main library view, was created and the books put in multiple collections - drove me nuts!)
I'm not anywhere near my Sony or Calibre, but I'm pretty sure I just right-click and get an "add to library" option that copies the files from the Sony to Calibre library.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:39 AM   #4
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You can delete them on the device using your options button when in Collections. The books will not be deleted only the collection. OTOH you can ignore the Collections alltogether if you like and browse your books sorted by author or title.

Maybe now that you have figuered out the obvious options it is the time for you to have a glance in the manual and find out about the tricks and possibilites

As for getting your files into Calibre just drag & drop in the Explorer window.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:04 PM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I also hate the hundred different tags assigned to books and delete them. Then someone here told me how to stop them from downloading in the first place using Calibre, saving me even the deletion step. I usually just use the author name as the tag so I can quickly sort by author and have their titles all alpha.

Go to Preferences > Plugins > Metadata download plugins - Customize each plugin and uncheck "Download tags from ..."

Edit: That's for when using Calibre to add books to your Sony, which is the only way I add books now.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 04-08-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2011, 08:09 PM   #6
brbubba
Connoisseur
brbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS350
This is extremely annoying, who's bright idea was it to assign 50 different tags to every book?
brbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:26 PM   #7
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
It's what you get when you download public information as everyone has different ways to categorise their reading... one person's Western is another's cowboy... indian, wild west, historical, author, paperback, cover artist etc but most of us only want our relevant tags so the answer is simple... don't D/L in first place and apply your own...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbubba View Post
This is extremely annoying, who's bright idea was it to assign 50 different tags to every book?
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Or do what I do. Use Reader Library to manage collections. It's just that much easier.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:09 AM   #9
brbubba
Connoisseur
brbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
It's what you get when you download public information as everyone has different ways to categorise their reading... one person's Western is another's cowboy... indian, wild west, historical, author, paperback, cover artist etc but most of us only want our relevant tags so the answer is simple... don't D/L in first place and apply your own...
I guess so. I would have been happy with just "Fantasy" or "SciFi." Instead I get crazy things like "Neo Contemporary Feminist Centered Historical Based Fiction."
Old 04-09-2011, 09:48 AM   #10
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
I know I shouldn't ask because I'll regret it but I've got to... is that a made up one or a real one, and if real, what's the book...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbubba View Post
I guess so. I would have been happy with just "Fantasy" or "SciFi." Instead I get crazy things like "Neo Contemporary Feminist Centered Historical Based Fiction."
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:14 AM   #11
brbubba
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
I know I shouldn't ask because I'll regret it but I've got to... is that a made up one or a real one, and if real, what's the book...
100% made up!

Here are some real ones:
Beer, Beverages, Brewing, Cooking, Food Science, Science
Ancient, Archaeology, Egypt, General, History, Pyramids
Design, Design; Industrial, General, Industrial Design, Product, Technology & Engineering
Beverages, Biology, Cooking, Food Science, Life Sciences, Medical, Microbiology, Nutrition, Science

I've deleted most of the really bad ones, which happened to mostly be sci fi.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:03 AM   #12
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
If you want to have everything in the same folder, I don't get why are you using collections at all? Isn't "books" menu what you want? All books together (even more, with nice scrollbar with letters for navigation).
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:23 PM   #13
deadgloves
Enthusiast
deadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with others

Device: PRS650
As someone already pointed out, deleting collection ON the device is pretty easy. The only issue is Calbre re-uploads them by default next time you plug in.

I like the auto tagging in Calibre because it auto updates all meta-data when the device is connected. So I can use Calibre to suddenly make 5 books part of a series and then I don't have to reload them as new books.

I was annoyed when Calibre first added the feature (it wasn't there when the 650 first came out) but once I understood how the auto update worked it was easy to make the tags/series work like I wanted.
deadgloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:50 PM   #14
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
For anyone who doesn't already know, it's very easy to stop Calibre creating Collections from your Calibre tags each time you connect the Sony. In Calibre, just go into
Preferences - Plugins - Device interface plugins - Sony - Customize plugin
and then remove the item tags from the box labelled Comma separated list of metadata fields... I think the default is series, tags but you can put whatever you want in there, including nothing at all.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote