Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: Does the latest version work for you?
Yes 92 89.32%
No 11 10.68%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-21-2011, 02:30 PM   #376
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
I returned back to 2.5.8 (i had to do this anyway to reload the new active contents i bought) and again encountered the reboot bug. I then entered the recovery menu again and succeeded to turn back to home screen. I then upgraded to 3.2.1 and this time i only applied launchpad hack and then this hack. Voila, all my active content worked again.

I really want to thank to both yifanlu and you for making this possible.

I will upload a launchpad script for noobs like me. Just unrar this file to the launchpad folder and then press shift Menu in the home screen after you copied the contents of the zip file TJW provided to the root folder. This doesn't include the install parameter, when you reboot everything will return to the normal.
Attached Files
File Type: rar kindledxactivecontents.rar (136 Bytes, 414 views)
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:41 AM   #377
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
excellent work from TJW

what would it take to now trick the amazon servers into thinking our 3.2.1 DXG's are in fact 2.5.8s...so we can continue to buy and download new/archived active content?

would this simply be another patch or more involved?
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2011, 11:28 AM   #378
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
I just wonder why more people don't test the new hack to enable active content and report back here.

Is it just me who plays a game or two after some reading on the kindle?
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:28 PM   #379
Jenni101
Jenni101 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2, Kindle DX, Kindle3
I'm confused?

Can someone re-explain how you jailbreak and install Kindle 3 firmware on a Kindle 2i in very simple language that a dummy like me can follow step by step? I have a Kindle 3g too if that would help!
Jenni101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:59 PM   #380
lgvenable
JBL Pro/Kindle Enthusiast
lgvenable has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lgvenable has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lgvenable has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lgvenable has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DX at 3.2.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by max99 View Post
ever had any issues with registration, everything worked as before. can you explain what you mean exactly?
I was in Atlanta at Hartsfield Airport, and tried to access a sample of an ebook I was thinking of buying. My Kindle DX is at 3.2.1, and it gives the message "in order to purchase from the Kindle store you must first register your kindle to your amazon.com user account. Please go to settings to register"
Thing is I registered it and it shows registered, but that was under firmware 2.5.8; do I jus need to de-register and re-register; or does someone have an edit on an OS file we can use to make a 2.5.8 registered kindle think its registered, even though its at 3.2.1.

I'd hate to give up the ability to buy via browser and whispernet. I really like 3.2.1; its perhaps a little slower on the initial bootup; but after that no issue.
lgvenable is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 03:29 PM   #381
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
If it asks you to register. Just register. I don't see the problem here.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:30 PM   #382
lgvenable
JBL Pro/Kindle Enthusiast
lgvenable has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lgvenable has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lgvenable has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lgvenable has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DX at 3.2.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
If it asks you to register. Just register. I don't see the problem here.
well i was already registered under 2.5.8, so I'll deregister and re-register; as it's hacked now I always like to ask prior to acting o make sure nothing bad happens
lgvenable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:00 PM   #383
DickeFix
Enthusiast
DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 3Wifi+3G and DX
I want to emphasize max99:s smart solution to the problems with slow startup and large battery drain in sleep mode with 3G. These problems are circumvented if the Kindle is shut down completely by holding the power button in off position for five seconds. This simple solution seems also to improve the stability and speed of the browser on my Kindle DXG with 3.1 firmware.
DickeFix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:10 PM   #384
Mech0z
Mech0z began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Iam trying to get this working, I downloaded the jailbreak http://yifan.lu/p/kindle-jailbreak and put the update_jailbreak_0.5.1_dxg_install.bin on my Kindle DX Graphite and ran "Update", but it just fails to update, its running v.2.5.8

Am I donig something wrong, and I do I need to do that to install http://yifan.lu/p/kindleupdater ?
Mech0z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #385
zhuqiang
zhuqiang began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2, kindle dx
Thanks a lot. I own a kindle 2 international and kindle dx us. I will try it.
zhuqiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:03 PM   #386
timofonic
Zealot
timofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox M96+
I was interested in this, but my DXG got briked before trying it...

If you or someone is able to help me, please check the following forum thread please...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=152837
timofonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #387
MickeyMark
Learning to read...
MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: K3-3G, KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by timofonic View Post
I was interested in this, but my DXG got briked before trying it...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=152837
Hmmmm, I'm going to receive my new (used) DXG on Monday. I'm also interested in loading this hack.

Please keep us updated. Good luck!
MickeyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:34 AM   #388
stranger_st
stranger_st began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg
Dear Kindle DX graphite US version Users. Could you please share rootfs dump file. I have bricked my kindle and can't restore. I have only last chance to restore from dump image (Kernel 2.5.8).
Image can be taken from Kindle DXG through Usb Network connection.
Script to run:
============================================
/etc/init.d/powerd stop
dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p1 of=/mnt/us/rootfsbackup.bin bs=1024
tar -cf /mnt/us/rootfsbackup.tar /mnt/us/rootfs.bin
/etc/init.d/powerd start
============================================
I think it will appear, after you connect Kindle as usb device, in the storage.
If I am wrong in some place please support with advice.
Please help. Thank you in advance.
stranger_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:40 AM   #389
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle DX
Has anyone updated theirs to 3.3? If so did it work?
mdovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:44 PM   #390
driph
driph began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Thank you for the effort you've put in this, yifanlu! Installing the update now, everything appears to be going smoothly.
driph is offline   Reply With Quote