Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-10-2010, 11:22 AM   #1
cypresstwist
Nooking in Romania
cypresstwist doesn't littercypresstwist doesn't littercypresstwist doesn't litter

Device: Nook WiFi
How to batch-convert with ebook-convert?

Hi

I have two questions about ebook-convert. Since Calibre is QT-only and i use mainly GNOME, I prefer to do all conversion using ebook-convert.
My question would be how to batch-convert a series of files? Say I have a bunch of CBZ files I want to convert to EBUP for my Nook. Normally, I do them one by one with ebook-convert file.cbz file.epub. How to batch convert multiple files using ebook-convert?
cypresstwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:36 AM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Batch convert typically works by multi-selecting the books in the GUI before converting. I think if you want to do it using the CLI then you need to write a shell script to do it for you.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2010, 11:38 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Option 1: make a shell script containing a line for each book you want to convert. Choosing input and output file names are easy.

Option 2: make a shell script that loops over its arguments one by one, converting each book. Use shell tools like 'basename' to construct the output paths.

Option 3: make a shell script that uses 'find' to walk a directory tree, converting books as it finds them. Again, use various tools to construct the output path.

Option 4: make a GUI widget that accepts drag & drop, then processes each file one at a time.

Option 5: some other way to do it.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:40 AM   #4
cypresstwist
Nooking in Romania
cypresstwist doesn't littercypresstwist doesn't littercypresstwist doesn't litter

Device: Nook WiFi
Thanks guys.
cypresstwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:25 AM   #5
ViktorShchedrin
Connoisseur
ViktorShchedrin began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
batch convert epub epub ISBN to file

Hi Charles,

i did for my exact understanding

1) have epub file which had not ISBN. Cheched by Sigil
2) fetch metadata - edit metadata individually by Calibre, Calibre saved it by opf file
3) epub file still have not ISBN, checked by Sigil again
4) convert epub to epub by "ebook-convert title.epub title-2.epub"
5) title-2.epub file includes ISBN - see by Sigil

do i understand correct ?

no way to simplify this ? what you will recommend for bulk convert - purpose - to put ISBN to the 10000 epub files ?
ViktorShchedrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2011, 05:39 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
What is your intended final use of the book?

If you intend to get it out of Calibre using any of the Send to Device, Send to Folder, Save to Disk options then the final conversion is not required. As part of any of thse operations Calibre will update the metadata in the book exported from Calibre.

However if you want the metadat held in the copy of the book inside the calibre library, then the final conversion step IS necessary as that what embeds the new metadata.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:08 AM   #7
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Many formats support the use of the ebook-meta command line application (part of calibre). ebook-meta allows you to see and in many cases add metadata to ebook files.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:24 AM   #8
ViktorShchedrin
Connoisseur

ebook-meta

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
ebook-meta allows you to see and in many cases add metadata to ebook files.
Thanks, so, you suggest this way,

1. create Calibrary library csv file catalog with isbn column
2. create batch file based on csv file catalog
3. to use ebook-meta file by file such as

ebook-meta title.epub --isbn 9781583226643

do i understand correct ?
Old 02-22-2011, 09:28 AM   #9
ViktorShchedrin
Connoisseur

metadata in the file

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
What is your intended final use of the book?

However if you want the metadata held in the copy of the book inside the calibre library, then the final conversion step IS necessary as that what embeds the new metadata.
i wish it, for some security reason. I think - for example i lost metadata.db and will need to add books again and fetch ISBN again.. this is BIG headache... so, if i backup the calibre library and will sure that not only metadata.db and opf file secured, but epubs have metadata into the file - it will more convenient for me. May be i'm wrong... i just thinking how to keep collection - increasing - for years - safe.