Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 09-26-2010, 05:15 PM   #1
yskp
yskp began at the beginning.

Device: none
PDF showing as blank pages in PB 301

So I went to the store today to check out the pocketbook 301 before buying it. I brought several files to try (CHM, DJVU, PDF). Everything worked great until I tried a 19.3MB PDF file of a scanned book. The PB301 displayed the cover page graphic well, but when I moved to the next page it didn't display anything - the page was blank. It didn't display any page except the first one.

Naturally, I didn't buy it...

Is this a known problem with the PB301? Any chance it was fixed by a recent firmware version (don't know what firmware they had at the store)?

...and should I avoid the 301 completely and just focus on the 302 which seems so much cooler with its wifi and all?

Thanks!
yskp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:27 AM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
the 301 is fantastic for pdfs, did you try different zoom/reflow settings etc? can you attach the pdf here so we can try it?
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2010, 12:52 AM   #3
yskp

I did try different zoom settings. In fact, the cover page would only be displayed for a zoom of 100%. Anything below (or above) that, and it didn't even show the cover page. I didn't play with the reflow settings, but I did try to view multiple pages per screen, which caused the device to hang

I am not sure I can share the PDF due to copyright issues. What's the forum's policy on sharing copyrighted content?
Old 09-27-2010, 09:51 AM   #4
krish
Connoisseur
krish began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 302, Kindle 3(Wifi), Sony PRS-950
I face such problem if I open some pdfs in Adobe viewer. Did you try opening with pdf viewer. It works fine for me if I open the same document with pdf viewer.

I would still recommend wait for PB602 as the processor is much faster and this is better for pdf document.
krish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:34 PM   #5
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yskp View Post
I did try different zoom settings. In fact, the cover page would only be displayed for a zoom of 100%. Anything below (or above) that, and it didn't even show the cover page. I didn't play with the reflow settings, but I did try to view multiple pages per screen, which caused the device to hang

I am not sure I can share the PDF due to copyright issues. What's the forum's policy on sharing copyrighted content?
is it available for legal download somewhere that i could get it myself? i wouldnt want you to share copyrighted material without permissiion.
Advert
Old 09-27-2010, 04:23 PM   #6
yskp

Krish - how do I open a document with PDF viewer? I don't remember being asked which program I wanted to use. Is it built into the PB301?

Dulin - unfortunately the book isn't available for legal download.

Is there a way to diagnose what is special about this PDF? I don't suppose there's a "PDF dumper" that can show me information on a PDF (version and such)? Has anyone had luck viewing a scanned PDF on the PB301?
Old 09-27-2010, 04:33 PM   #7
Dulin's Books
Wizard

when you are in the list of books/documents and have "selected" the one you want with the D pad, press and HOLD the ok button. that will give you the option for which application to use to open it.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:35 PM   #8
yskp

Ah, cool. I didn't know that. When I'm near the store again I'll see if can have another look at the device.

Also, what's the easiest way to check the firmware version of the PB301? Any chance this simply got fixed in a firmware update?
Old 09-27-2010, 05:28 PM   #9
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by yskp View Post
Ah, cool. I didn't know that. When I'm near the store again I'll see if can have another look at the device.

Also, what's the easiest way to check the firmware version of the PB301? Any chance this simply got fixed in a firmware update?
Go to Settings, and "About" and there will appear the firmware version.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote