Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-25-2013, 09:38 PM   #601
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Yes, but strangely enough, a paperback requires much less light to read well than an ereader. I need the front light already, where I would be able to still read the paperback. A good quality hardcover with very white paper is no contest. To best that in brightness in normal daylight conditions, the frontlight needs to be way up.

I wonder if the Aura improves on this. I suppose not, as it's still Pearl e-ink.

Last edited by Katsunami; 04-25-2013 at 10:40 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:29 PM   #602
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I wonder if the Aura improves on this. I suppose not, as it's still Pearl e-ink.
Not really. I haven't done a direct comparison with paperbacks, but I've found that jacking up the font size makes eink easier to read in low light conditions. Granted, that's probably not great for the eyes.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:49 AM   #603
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
wrong. Wherever you are, if you type kobo.com, you'll be indeed directed to kobobooks.com, but this is always a LOCAL page. For me, living in Spain, it shows mostly spanish books (although the text of the webpage is in english). I cannot access kobo CA , kobo Uk nor kobo USA, and neither can you. Not only that, but you are then only shown a selection of books available for your country. There are many, many english or american ebooks that are for instance available for me at amazon.es but that are not at kobo.
actually I think you can: you do have to change your regional settings and perhaps add payment details in the local currency - if you are an expat you may still have a UK bank account. I do have an account (with different email) in the US with a US prepaid card. Some people on the Kobo forum have even more than two accounts, and I seem to remember that with paypal you don't need a card in local currency, but this is just a vague recollection and I may be wrong.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:46 AM   #604
Sregener
Addict
Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
...but I've found that jacking up the font size makes eink easier to read in low light conditions. Granted, that's probably not great for the eyes.
It is a myth that reading in low light is bad for eyesight.
Sregener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:02 AM   #605
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sregener View Post
It's certainly a myth that reading in poor light will damage your eyes, but it's no myth that it can cause discomfort.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:05 AM   #606
MySony505
MySony505 doesn't litterMySony505 doesn't litter

Device: PRS505
Quote:
You cannot be serious !
MySony505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:11 AM   #607
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by MySony505 View Post
You cannot be serious !
It has been tested and verified.
Ditto for watching TV too closely.
Both can cause eyestrain for a while but the effects do not linger or add up over time.

It isn't like the hearing loss from over-loud events...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:16 AM   #608
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
actually I think you can: you do have to change your regional settings and perhaps add payment details in the local currency - if you are an expat you may still have a UK bank account. I do have an account (with different email) in the US with a US prepaid card. Some people on the Kobo forum have even more than two accounts, and I seem to remember that with paypal you don't need a card in local currency, but this is just a vague recollection and I may be wrong.
No, I am not a UK expat but neither am I spanish, and I read in english. Kobo uses Paypal, but seemingly with localization so it does not allow me to access the UK, nor the US books database. Without jumping through hoops (VPN) and without lying (adress and/or bank details) I simply cannot buy the same books that I can buy with my amazon account without any tricks, and that's a fact.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:12 AM   #609
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Calibre support for Kobo HD is here:

http://calibre-ebook.com/whats-new

Gotta love Kovid! Donate!
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #610
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's certainly a myth that reading in poor light will damage your eyes, but it's no myth that it can cause discomfort.
Hmm... does that mean there is some other reason I need glasses? ...

Well at least I'm not blind, ... yet.

Luck;
Ken

I'll be clicking on that heart in calibre, shortly!

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 04-26-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #611
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Apparently, Kobo fused my mailing and billing addresses and shipped my Aura with the wrong zip code. If Kobo's site tracked e-reader purchases as they do books, then I'd have been able to see and correct that issue in moments, long before the shipment left Canada.

Unfortunately, it took me a week to extract my order number from customer service and I was only able to get someone to verify the exact shipping address today after I noting the wrong zip code in yesterday's tracking information and demanding the exact details.

Not exactly a seamless process, but then again, I wasn't expecting one.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 04-27-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:15 PM   #612
Sregener
Addict
Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Hmm... does that mean there is some other reason I need glasses? ...
While nobody is completely certain, there are certain activities that do lead to myopia. Among them is reading, especially at a young age, for extended periods of time. The human eye was never designed to focus so closely, for such an extended period of time. But lighting levels have nothing to do with it.
Sregener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #613
Kurt
Connoisseur
Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Nook HD+, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
Calibre support for Kobo HD is here:

http://calibre-ebook.com/whats-new

Gotta love Kovid! Donate!
Oh yeah - twice now

and an Aura on the way
Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #614
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Among them is reading, especially at a young age, for extended periods of time.
Check and doublecheck.

I was doomed from the start
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:16 PM   #615
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
While nobody is completely certain, there are certain activities that do lead to myopia. Among them is reading, especially at a young age, for extended periods of time. The human eye was never designed to focus so closely, for such an extended period of time. But lighting levels have nothing to do with it.
So, it was reading under the blankets, with a flashlight, when I was supposed
to be sleeping?

Ah, more guilty pleasures, should have known.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote