Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #136
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
I want to mount and compare this locked-down image to the previous version (loop mount and compare). I am still waiting for the PM download link I requested days ago.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #137
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
PS: I learned how to re-partition the eMMC
I am thinking maybe move a Gigabyte from /mnt/us over to /var/local so we have room for all the neat things we want in the system file space.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #138
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
PS2: Does the K5 support the chattr command?

just try:
touch /var/local/something_new
chattr +i /var/local/something_new

if you have lsattr available, then
lsattr /var/local/something_new
should list the 'i' attribute.

To get rid of it again:
chattr -i /var/local/something_new
rm /var/local/something_new

Ref: http://www.aboutlinux.info/2005/11/m...hich-even.html
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #139
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I want to mount and compare this locked-down image to the previous version (loop mount and compare). I am still waiting for the PM download link I requested days ago.
Its on our /kloud
Old 10-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #140
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I am thinking maybe move a Gigabyte from /mnt/us over to /var/local so we have room for all the neat things we want in the system file space.
I wish I had thought of that. Back when the K5 first came out, I checked into reformatting the USB drive as ext2, but then the startup FAT mount would fail and the script would reformat it as FAT.

I like your thoughts on this matter. Shifting space between user store (/mnt/us) and persistent user store (/var/local) is a brilliant approach!

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-15-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #141
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I think, it's a bit better to create new parition mmcblk0p5 right after mmcblk0p4 (i.e. in a free space after shrinking /mnt/us parition from it's end). Just a personal preference. (Anyway, /var/local could be "extended" even with mmcblk0p5, using bind mounting. But mmcblk0p5 could also be used for another Linux rootfs, instead of loop mounting of image file.)
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #142
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I have been making space on my dropbox, the images are pushing up to the folder still, I should run dropbox as a background process I just forget to start it so it never gets done

I'll leave it running a few hours and let you know when it's ready.
apologies, spent much of the time battling with SDL and Diags.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #143
twobob

Quote:
Its on our /kloud
Ah yeah. of course there is always that copy too if you have access. doh.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:48 AM   #144
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
I think, it's a bit better to create new parition mmcblk0p5 right after mmcblk0p4 (i.e. in a free space after shrinking /mnt/us parition from it's end). Just a personal preference. (Anyway, /var/local could be "extended" even with mmcblk0p5, using bind mounting. But mmcblk0p5 could also be used for another Linux rootfs, instead of loop mounting of image file.)
Oh, I also found a 4 partition limit.

Of course, that fifth partition need not be in the partition table.
For example, the first one isn't.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #145
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Oh, I also found a 4 partition limit.

Of course, that fifth partition need not be in the partition table.
For example, the first one isn't.
Hm, yeah, I've completely forgot about this restriction.

So, there is no easy way to just add another one partition. It's easier to simply move some space from mmcblk0p4 to mmcblk0p3. You're right.

But it''s possible to:
  • either convert mmcblk0p4 into extended partition, then make logical mmcblk0p5 and mmcblk0p6, then change userstore partition number in /etc/default/layout to p5,
  • or make use of fact that mmcblk0p4 contains another partition table with the sole userstore partition.

Last edited by eureka; 10-15-2012 at 11:07 AM. Reason: missing letter: it's partition, not parition
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:08 AM   #146
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Ah yeah. of course there is always that copy too if you have access. doh.
RIGHT!
There is more than one /kloud
Will have to see which one geekmaster has access too.

[grumble]
Dratted web administration.
[/grumble]
Old 10-15-2012, 11:12 AM   #147
twobob

Quote:
RIGHT!

[grumble]
[/grumble]
I PM'd him don't bother.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #148
geekmaster

Quote:
RIGHT!

[grumble]
[/grumble]
Hmm... I know not this /kloud of which you speak, nor the others. mm/kloud is not such a place... PM me with enlightenment?
Old 10-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #149
twobob

Progress...

hmm.

This is the generic "It's already running" error IIRC

Quote:
[6780] Oct 15 15:25:36 Failed reading '/etc/dropbear/dropbear_dss_host_key', disabling DSS
[6780] Oct 15 15:25:36 Failed listening on '22': Error listening: Address family not supported by protocol
[6780] Oct 15 15:25:36 premature exit: No listening ports available.
maybe it's working. resumes testing.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:38 AM   #150
twobob

me@dev ~/GIT $ ssh root@ktdb
Quote:
[9171] Oct 15 15:29:49 lastlog_perform_login: Couldn't stat /var/log/lastlog: No such file or directory
[9171] Oct 15 15:29:49 lastlog_openseek: /var/log/lastlog is not a file or directory!
[root@[192_168_15_244] root]#

holy smoke it's going. : ) yayness.

chmod -R a+x /usr/local/sbin/*

x bit must have got unset? pfft!

time to tidy up the mess...

Huge thanks to Knc1 for his excellent assistance and the GM as it was his 0 Day this made the testing in-the-end a bearable process...

Next up.. Charging in Diags. lol.. Neh. Just going to try to get it tidy.

Quote:
me@dev ~/GIT $ nmap -A ktdb

Nmap scan report for ktdb (192.168.15.244)
Host is up (0.045s latency).
Not shown: 999 closed ports
PORT STATE SERVICE VERSION
22/tcp open ssh Dropbear sshd 0.52 (protocol 2.0)
|_ssh-hostkey: 1040 99:x9:99:99:99:9x:99:9x:99:99:99:x9:xx:99:99:99 (RSA)
Service Info: OS: Linux

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 1.13 seconds

Last edited by twobob; 10-15-2012 at 11:46 AM.