Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #106
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Watching the video just makes me want it more. Actually, I want both of them. I wonder if a mini glo is in the works. That would really be awesome.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:46 PM   #107
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
That video was pretty terrible. I wanted to get up close and see it in the flesh but there was no detail to be seen. The Glo does look promising however.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:22 AM   #108
Iskariot
Zealot
Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950 Daily Edition, Kobo Aura HD
I think the Kobo Glo will be my next e-reader.

I really had hoped Sony would step up to the plate, but they are lagging further behind with every next step they make. I have given up on them.

Instead Kobo's products really show progress and they have many of the features I am looking for in my next reader: High Res, glo light, stronger processor.
I would love a 7" version of the Glo though.

Also Kobo tends to improve their firmware frequently. They are even adding new features for older readers, if possible. Sony does nothing of the sort.
Iskariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:49 AM   #109
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
There does appear to be other Pearl 1024x768 screens out: http://ereader-store.de/en/onyx-boox...oft-touch.html. . . . So the one in the Glo is different? Do they have better contrast (without the Glo lite on)? Is it a plastic vs glass difference?
This is an excellent question for SameerH.

Sameer:

Since the iRiver and other e-ink readers have had the same resolution as the new Kobo, what's the difference between their screens and this one? You've mentioned that it's still a Pearl screen, which suggests it isn't the LG model being used by others. Can you discuss whether or not it's a different screen from those of the iRiver Story HD and the Kindle Paperwhite?

Also:

Will it use plastic LG like or glass like the previous generation?
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:18 AM   #110
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
This is an excellent question for SameerH.

Sameer:

Since the iRiver and other e-ink readers have had the same resolution as the new Kobo, what's the difference between their screens and this one? You've mentioned that it's still a Pearl screen, which suggests it isn't the LG model being used by others. Can you discuss whether or not it's a different screen from those of the iRiver Story HD and the Kindle Paperwhite?

Also:

Will it use plastic LG like or glass like the previous generation?
I'm pretty sure the LG screens are still Pearl-derived. My understanding is the substrate is different but the electrophoretic film is the same Pearl-class film from eink.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #111
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Oh I have a theory! All the reviews about the Story HD complained about the contrast. Now there are two new ereaders with the 1024x768 screen and they both have built-in lighting. Could it be that it IS the same screen, and the lighting is necessary to make up for the poor contrast?

I can't wait for the Kobo Glo and the Paperwhite to be released, so we can see a real comparison of all the screens, with light on and OFF.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #112
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Oh I have a theory! All the reviews about the Story HD complained about the contrast. Now there are two new ereaders with the 1024x768 screen and they both have built-in lighting. Could it be that it IS the same screen, and the lighting is necessary to make up for the poor contrast?

I can't wait for the Kobo Glo and the Paperwhite to be released, so we can see a real comparison of all the screens, with light on and OFF.

eP
It could be.
But contrast is also a function of the fonts and the font rendering engine as well as the antialiasing used. Note how Amazon talks of "hand-tuned fonts" and how the updated K4 has new and improved fonts. Also, the iRiver reviews tended to point out that the text did not look much improved over the lower-res screens.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #113
anonymoose
bookaholic
anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura, Kobo Touch, Kobo app on iPhone
I am reserving judgement on any of them until I can see one in person. Video demos help, but it's nothing like trying it out yourself.
anonymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #114
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
It could be.
But contrast is also a function of the fonts and the font rendering engine as well as the antialiasing used. Note how Amazon talks of "hand-tuned fonts" and how the updated K4 has new and improved fonts. Also, the iRiver reviews tended to point out that the text did not look much improved over the lower-res screens.
I saw an iRiver Story in person once, I thought the text looked GREAT! I loved the higher resolution. However, the screen was NOT pearl, and the contrast not good. Plus it wasn't a touch device, so I had no urge to buy. I've been waiting for a pearl hi-res screen ever since though.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:34 PM   #115
Loafers
Alexic
Loafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura about

Device: none
whoa ePub support? i might buy the kobo just for that...
Loafers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #116
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskariot View Post
Also Kobo tends to improve their firmware frequently. They are even adding new features for older readers, if possible. Sony does nothing of the sort.
Hmmm, I think it depends a lot on how you choose to look at it, perhaps Sony don't support an e-ereader for long and just concentrate on a replacement model, but they don't need to keep updating firmware as there is generally nothing wrong with it after they've sorted out any initial bugs. Whereas the continual firmware updates for the Kobo can be looked at two ways.

On the plus side, they do continue to add new features, and seem willing to listen to what their customers want (though the fact it took until just a few months ago to add bookshelves/collections isn't ideal considering both the comparable Sony (T1) & Kindle (Touch) had them right from the start).

On the downside, an e-reader that's over a year old is still getting firmware updates that haven't just fixed bugs or added new features, but also caused new bugs/issues for some people.

Sony & Amazon seem better with their software than Kobo, but there are still plenty of happy Kobo users out there, so they must be doing something right.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:14 PM   #117
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post

On the downside, an e-reader that's over a year old is still getting firmware updates that haven't just fixed bugs or added new features, but also caused new bugs/issues for some people.

Plus, the updates can drastically change the behavior of the reader. If you bought the reader and like the way it behaves, you may be out of luck with an update.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:26 PM   #118
Loafers
Alexic
Loafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura about

Device: none
hands on

Quote:
There are no control buttons aside from a power switch atop the device; everything is controlled on-screen in what is one of the better touch e-reader UIs we've seen.

Last edited by Loafers; 09-19-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Loafers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #119
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loafers View Post
Thank you for that link! I just got really excited about the screen to change the font weight.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #120
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
We do use the latest RMSDK, but I do not know if we have this turned on. If it is not turned on, I will make sure supporting it on our side is put on our roadmap. Unfortunately won't be able to share a schedule, but at least it will get on the todo list.
Any update on whether this is turned on or if this something on the future roadmap?

RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote