Notices

Old 11-30-2011, 02:51 AM   #1
joshualintag
Enthusiast
joshualintag began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Videos on Kindle Fire

I downloaded a video from youtube.
I place it on my kindle fire (using the USB (sold separately)
then when I went to my videos and tapped on library, nothing is displayed.
The extension of the file was a .mp4
I'd also like to know more video file extensions Kindle Fire supports.
joshualintag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:33 AM   #2
Xeddicus
Xeddicus began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sideloaded videos are played using the Gallery.

As for the supported formats:

Video: H.263 (.3gp, .mp4), H264 AVC (.3gp, .mp4), MPEG 4 SP/ASP (.3gp), VP8 (.webm)
Xeddicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2011, 03:56 AM   #3
joshualintag
Enthusiast
joshualintag began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Thanks alot!
How about if the video I downloaded are .avi and its green lantern.
How will I convert that to .mp4 or other formats?
joshualintag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:31 AM   #4
Xeddicus
Xeddicus began at the beginning.

Device: none
Through a converter program such as Handbrake or Any Video Converter. Or a billion other converters. Here's a post with some settings for Handbrake, but you can ignore the streaming option unless you plan to do that.
Xeddicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:26 AM   #5
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshualintag View Post
Thanks alot!
How about if the video I downloaded are .avi and its green lantern.
How will I convert that to .mp4 or other formats?

I have used RealPlayer to convert video for many years. Handbrake is also pretty good. RealPlayer can convert video to many different formats. Click on Tools and RealPlayer Converter. Drag whatever file you want converted into the conversion box, choose the conversion format, and click Start. RealPlayer takes care of the rest.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-30-2011 at 08:19 AM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2011, 11:20 AM   #6
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Not possible to use some app to play other type of content? For instance, the player which came with my smartphone used an mp3 codec which was buggy (the internal codec). I downloaded an app that uses the ffmpeg codec, which plays pretty much anything under the sun.

Who's gonna convert all videos to mp4 just to play it on Fire?
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:24 PM   #7
kbarnsda
KBar
kbarnsda doesn't litterkbarnsda doesn't litter

Device: Amazon Fire, Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshualintag View Post
I downloaded a video from youtube.
I place it on my kindle fire (using the USB (sold separately)
then when I went to my videos and tapped on library, nothing is displayed.
Hello,
What folder did you put the Utube video in? Are you allowed to make your own at the root?? Also, what does "played using the Gallery" mean?

I have tried to put on a small file and cannot find it or play it except using WiFI File Explorer 4. Thanks
kbarnsda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:52 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
Not possible to use some app to play other type of content? For instance, the player which came with my smartphone used an mp3 codec which was buggy (the internal codec). I downloaded an app that uses the ffmpeg codec, which plays pretty much anything under the sun.

Who's gonna convert all videos to mp4 just to play it on Fire?
Sure. I just sideloaded MoboPlayer 1.2.176. It plays a lot of different formats including Quicktime. It uses the FFmpeg decoder. You can download from the Moboplayer website.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:16 PM   #9
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
If you do a lot of YOUTUBE downloading you can use an app called YOUTUBE Free and it download right into the fire. You simply do a search of the clip you want, hold down on picture and you get a list of things you can do like view or download. Great for getting movie clips and music videos.

Last edited by pagansoul; 11-30-2011 at 02:18 PM.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:29 PM   #10
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Sure. I just sideloaded MoboPlayer 1.2.176. It plays a lot of different formats including Quicktime. It uses the FFmpeg decoder. You can download from the Moboplayer website.
This.

It's much easier to just get a player that plays multiple formats than trying to convert everything you have in to the format that plays natively on the Fire.

I've used VLC on the iPad and it's great. I believe an Android version is just around the corner - there is already a beta release of it, though I haven't tried it on the Fire.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:11 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

I just downloaded Moboplayer today so I haven't had a lot of experience with it yet, but it seems really good. I like the easy controls for adjusting the backlight and volume without having to pause. Most of my videos are in Quicktime format and relatively short as I like to create time lapse movies from series of photos taken with my Canon dSLR. I did read a review that said Moboplayer doesn't remember where you left off on a paused movie if you close the app, so that would be problematic if you are watching a 2 hour movie. But maybe they can fix that before long.