Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-09-2007, 04:11 PM   #31
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Yet, I meet never ending army of MACHEADS...so I push a button....
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 04:14 PM   #32
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
I forgot Harry T. You are one of the Gods of this Mobile Read.
You are free to apotheosize whomever you want, but please do so with respect and dignity. We don't need any trolling here.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 04:23 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
convertlit is also available for mac, so i don't think you need a PC for anything.
You need the Windows system to actually download the DRM laden MS Reader ebooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 10:18 PM   #34
Gerry
Enthusiast
Gerry began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Thank You

Thank you all for sharing your experience. Clearly everyone on this site is generous with their time and insight!

I'll be placing an order for a Cybook tomorrow.

Gerry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:25 AM   #35
prun
prun began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-505
Hi Gerry,

I am a Mac fan - MacBook Pro - and a SONY PRS-505 happy owner. To use PC-only applications I installed Parrallels on my Mac and it works wonderfully. With its [Coherence] feature, it becomes seamless to me if I am opening a Mac or PC application.

In other words, I open the ebook Library application from Sony directly from Mac OS, and I don't even notice that Parallels launched Windows to open it.

I hope this helps,

Prun.
prun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:30 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Prun,

Just make sure that you don't try to do a firmware upgrade with Parallels. It doesn't get the USB timing quite right, and if you try to do a ROM update with it you'll probably end up "bricking" your Sony. Use a real Windows machine, or Bookcamp for reflashing the ROM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:56 AM   #37
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Bookcamp? Is that where they send kids who can't read?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:02 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
BooTCamp <-- Typo
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:39 AM   #39
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Yeah, I know. Just thought it's a funny one
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 01:39 PM   #40
turtleclock
turtleclock began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry 8800, PRS-505
Being a mac user and a PRS-505 owner, I'm quite satisfied with the Sony. I've been using the pielrf program available from this site to convert a lot of my text files, and then just copying them over to the Sony via usb. Working great so far. :-)
turtleclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:29 PM   #41
jmdor
Enthusiast
jmdor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle; ex-Sony PRS500
I'm way happier with my Kindle than with my Sony 500. It's very cool to be able to download a book wherever. I haven't even hooked it up to a computer yet! Highly recommend for mac users.
jmdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:47 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Kindle: Download a book, use up the battery.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 11:55 PM   #43
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
I'm a Mac user who's perfectly happy with a prs500, thanks to libprs500. There're plenty of multi-format books at Fictionwise and Baen. There's all of Project Gutenberg (including bunches of books pre-formatted here are MobileRead). Given how sucky the pricing is at Sony's store (even after the kindle-related price cuts), who needs 'em? The right pricing for novels is $6.00 quantity one, or $15.00 for six (c.f. Baen and their DRM-free pricing).

I can use libprs500 to convert just about any non-DRM'd book to Sony's format. The only time I ever hooked up my prs500 (or my wife's -- we're a two-reader family!) to a PC was for the initial registration and again for a firmware upgrade.

You can successfully use any of the current crop of readers with a Mac without worry.
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:53 PM   #44
Matt
Matt began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocelet View Post
In what way is the iLiad not cross platform? There is the Companion Software which is Windows only, but (just about) no-one uses it. The WiFi file transfer uses a windows style network share, but Samba on Linux or OSX will work just as well.

Most of the iLiad interaction is via the USB cable, where it looks like a USB disk to any OS that supports it.
right - my main computer is a macbookpro - i just attach the Iliad to my USB port and copy documents and applications directly over. I've never even looked at the companion software.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:29 AM   #45
Just4Fun
Enthusiast
Just4Fun began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle/iphone/ipad/Pocket Entourage/MacBook/Windows
In other words, you will probably be happy with whatever reader you decide to buy. Myself, I have a Macbook and a Kindle, but I live in the US and I couldn't afford to buy an Iliad though I like the larger screen.

The Kindle makes things so easy that even a non-techie can do it. There is no need for a computer. That is a nice feature in my household where everyone isn't into technology... They say, "Just give me something that works and doesn't require a lot of fussing around." <sigh>

Last edited by Just4Fun; 12-14-2007 at 11:33 AM. Reason: proofing
Just4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote