Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-13-2016, 08:12 AM   #1
willbeaufoy
willbeaufoy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Why would a book PDF work ok as a file, but not open in Calibre?

I have a book pdf that opens fine if you just open it as a file before adding it to Calibre, but once you add it to Calibre (2.62) it opens blank with a message 'this document has no pages'. Why might this be? I can't really add this as a bug as it only seems to affect this book.
willbeaufoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:35 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by willbeaufoy View Post
I have a book pdf that opens fine if you just open it as a file before adding it to Calibre, but once you add it to Calibre (2.62) it opens blank with a message 'this document has no pages'. Why might this be? I can't really add this as a bug as it only seems to affect this book.
calibre displays PDFs by first converting them to an ePub. I think this conversion is going wrong.

Double-check this by actually trying an explicit conversion and see what you get.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2016, 08:43 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I would double-check by examining the filesize of the PDF stored in calibre, and/or opening it in the same software used to read the PDF pre-import.

Also, disable reading PDF in the builtin viewer. See Preferences ==> Behavior ==> Use builtin viewer for ...

calibre does not modify ebooks during the import process, thy should be byte-identical. Thirdarty plugins of the "filetype plugin" type can, however.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:43 PM   #4
willbeaufoy
willbeaufoy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Thanks for both replies. As you both indicated, the problem was the conversion giving an error and it turned out indeed to be due to a 'filetype plugin', which I disabled and now the import works fine. Thanks for the help.
willbeaufoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no pages, pdf, reader