Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-16-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
rjh007
rjh007 began at the beginning.

Device: Glaxay note 10.1
Windows 7 64-bit + Calibre 0.9.14 64 bit BSD

Have just got a blue screen crash on my computer that is directly related to calibre program. Sequence of events
1. Installed 64 bit calibre 0.9.10 on my system (AMD phenom(tm) II X4 920 processor 2.80 GHz - 4 GB RAM - windows 7 home premium service pack 1)
2. checked out my library from the 32 bit version

So far all good

3. added book - processed fine

4. added 10 books - processed fine but saw significant slowing of the computer response time

5. added 200 books - computer slowed to almost stand still, when I tried to abort saw a blue screen crash

Error report as a Kernal_data_inpage_error
Stop OxOOOOOO7A
ATAPOORT.SYS.

6. On rebooting computer calibre runs slow, very slow. If I leave it running or try to add any book I get a BSD.

7. No memory dump is possible for some reason.

8. Increased page file size to range 6- 8 GB and rebooted computer. Improved response seen but this slowed and eventually I get a BSD everytime I add a book to Calibre
9. tried each update as they came out but seeing the same sequence of events each time.

10. tried moving the library off the boot disc but this also caused a BSD

Let me know of any other info you might need bearing in mind that I not that computer literate.

best regards

RJH007
rjh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Calibre is just a user program so should never be able to blue screen your system. A bluescreen normally indicates a hardware or a driver level problem.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Are there really two o's in the file name? ATAPORT.SYS is a Windows component, and one that apparently does cause BSODs (Google produces about 100,000 results). The only hit with both o's in the middle in English seems to be your post.

if it's a Windows system problem (and it sounds like it is), you might try a System Restore (on the Start menu, go to All Programs-->Accessories-->System Tools and look for System Restore). Pick the most recent restore point.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think it might be a failing hard drive...
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #5
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I think it might be a failing hard drive...
That would be consistent with the symtpoms you describe, and also with what ATAPORT.SYS apparently is.

Get a backup, ASAP, and go looking for a diagnostic boot disk that can do a comprehensive scan of the drive. Don't use the computer any more than absolutely have to until you've got that backup, or you might lose everything.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
rjh007

Update on Calibre 64 bit

To all, thanks for all your comments.

I have being backing the computer up since I last posted and once that was done I checked the all the hard disc's out, cleaned up the registry, ran CC cleaner, check all disc's for errors, defragmented all the computer hard drives with paging file off (then turn it back on when completed). Couldn't find anything wrong with the boot disc or any of the other disc's either but the computer seems to be running noisy on reboot, settling to quite mode once windows is up and running.

I am no expert at this but it seems to me that there is some miss communication from the program that involves the paging file for windows that causes the block that crashes the computer. Maybe the read write on my hard disc is too slow or "stuttering" enough that the memory completely fills up and the paging file locks out leading to a memory dump that doesn't happen and a system shut down but thats a pure guess.

Since I do not want to waste time on trying to fix things I know very little about I changed back down to calibre 09.15 32 bit and have been running fine ever since, No more crashes. No sign of the computer slowing down or any problem out of the ordinary. Just upgraded to 09.16 32 bit and everything is still going well.

best regards to all

RJH007
Old 01-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #7
rjh007

PS

I must confess, I am mildly dyslexic and my spelling is appalling, but my condition often means I just do not notice thing typed wrongly no matter how many times I check and re check it.

sorry if that has caused any contention

RJH007