Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-13-2022, 05:24 AM   #30931
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Anyone’s entitled to dismiss an author on the basis of one book. I do it myself all the time. There are a lot of books out there and there’s no point in throwing good reading time after bad. However, you can’t be taken seriously as a critic, especially of an author as important to the genre as DLS, on the basis of one book and that the first, where most authors haven’t hit their stride. Even her second was a vast improvement - and the first was not terrible.
I have to disagree. It was terrible. It was overly racist. There is giving some leeway based on when the book was written, but this went too far.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 09:54 AM   #30932
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
That’s what I get for using an emotionally laden and imprecise word like “terrible”! Next time I’ll (try to) stick to more objective terms.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 09:55 AM   #30933
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
A nautical fantasy with inventive people and culture. Both sad and hopeful. Great writing skill that makes this reader pause occasionally to let the MC's thoughts sink in. Unfortunately, I felt there was too much repetition and inactivity for me to enjoy this more. Plus, the ending was not surprising. Rated C [3 stars].

Next, another library book, The Thorn of Dentonhill by Marshall Ryan Maresca.
I tried reading a Barker book once. I think he needs a good editor and a delete button.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 09:59 AM   #30934
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
Reading A Threat of Shadows by JA Anderson now. Some good Fantasy!
Finished this one and looking forward to reading the sequels! But first I'm reading The Institute by Stephen King. I'm tryng to catch up on a backlog of unread King books.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 10:15 AM   #30935
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
That’s what I get for using an emotionally laden and imprecise word like “terrible”! Next time I’ll (try to) stick to more objective terms.
Please don't - reading is subjective, and emotionally laden, and imprecise. I may not agree with what you say, but I'll vigorously defend your right to say it.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 11:13 AM   #30936
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's as objective as that book deserves.
Old 08-13-2022, 11:14 AM   #30937
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Please don't - reading is subjective, and emotionally laden, and imprecise. I may not agree with what you say, but I'll vigorously defend your right to say it.
Very well said.
Old 08-13-2022, 10:34 PM   #30938
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I only rate books on one criteria - either I liked it or I didn't. I don't have a checklist like character development, plot, flowing prose, politically correct, etc.

There is one thing that will almost always cause me to dislike a book. A giant cliffhanger at the end designed to make you buy the next book in the series. I consider serialized books that just stop mid-story to fall into this category by default. If I run into that, I pretty much abandon the series on the spot (although there have been a few exceptions).
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 10:48 PM   #30939
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
I'm a quarter of the way through Alice Campbell's Juggernaut It's her debut and part of the Dean Street Presss ebook reissue of her works. I read [/i]The Murder of Caroline Bundy[/i] last week, which she wrote a decade or so after [i]Juggernaut, and found it hard work. Her debut otoh is flowing nicely with a good pace in the atmosphere-building and scene setting before the suspicious death. Apparently it was later made into a film vehicle for Boris Karloff, who I'm assuming played the doctor.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 06:57 AM   #30940
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Finished up another Alfred Hitchcock anthology, Once Upon a Dreadful Time. I know I'm going to have an enjoyable time when Hitchcock's name rolls around on my kindle...
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 07:00 AM   #30941
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I am working through ThenInvisinle Library sequence by Genevieve Cogman. At the moment I am reading the third book, The Burning Page which, while it is good, isn’t quite on the same level as the first two books in the series. “The Invisible Library” was an excellent opener with a very interesting take on the parallel universe plot. The Masked City was just as good and included the nature of storytelling as a part of the plot formation.
I haven’t finished The Burning Page and perhaps will change my mind later.
I am listening to the reading,of the series by Kristin Atherton who does a fine job bringing the characters and incidents to vivid life.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 08:45 AM   #30942
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I was reading some of Emily St. John Mandel's earlier books, and The Lola Quartet and Last Night in Montreal felt a lot like John Irving's books.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 10:08 AM   #30943
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
Finished up another Alfred Hitchcock anthology, Once Upon a Dreadful Time. I know I'm going to have an enjoyable time when Hitchcock's name rolls around on my kindle...
Do you have a link to where this can be purchased as an eBook? I cannot find it.
Old 08-14-2022, 11:51 AM   #30944
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
I have this, so I'll have to check it out - that is, when I get out of prison.

Thanks!

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-14-2022 at 01:51 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 12:08 PM   #30945
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do you have a link to where this can be purchased as an eBook? I cannot find it.
I don't think it's available as an ebook.

I have an old paperback copy in storage (along with about 20 [?] or so other Hitchcock paperbacks that I purchased a long time ago while living in Cincinnati).

Also in storage, I might add, I have an almost complete set of the Ballantine Adult Fantasy Series, edited by Lin Carter. All are in immaculate condition!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote