Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-02-2022, 05:27 PM   #226
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I don't like nouns used as verbs either.
In the aftermath of the shootings in Buffalo I heard some official refer to "funeralizing" the victims.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 08:54 AM   #227
Maggie May
Grand Sorcerer
Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CYbook Gen3 and Sony PRS 3505 Kindle 3 G Nexus 7 iPad
Watching old reruns of Judge Judy recently. One of the plaintiff’s said…..I was “conversating”with my friends. Judge Judy said. I would normally correct you, but I believe one of the dictionaries has accepted “conversating” as a proper word. ��
Maggie May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 09:47 AM   #228
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie May View Post
Watching old reruns of Judge Judy recently. One of the plaintiff’s said…..I was “conversating”with my friends. Judge Judy said. I would normally correct you, but I believe one of the dictionaries has accepted “conversating” as a proper word. ��
The one that sets my teeth on edge is “coronate”. The word is crown which is a verb as well as a noun. Yeah, yeah, I know; coronate is accepted. But not only is it inelegant, it requires three syllables instead of one.

However, I’m not consistent; I like some backward formulations. The word “ablute” comes to mind. Still not really a word, as the jagged red line under it indicates.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 11:37 AM   #229
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I think English has been verbifying nouns for a long time.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 11:38 AM   #230
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Or should that be verbificating?
Old 06-08-2022, 12:58 PM   #231
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
That would technically make "verbifying" a gerund then, right? The noun form of a verbified noun?

My head hurts, now.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 08:46 PM   #232
guanaco
Recovering reader
guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
I think English has been verbifying nouns for a long time.
The word is verbing.
guanaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 12:28 AM   #233
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
However, I’m not consistent; I like some backward formulations. The word “ablute” comes to mind. Still not really a word, as the jagged red line under it indicates.
Depends on the dictionary you consult. Using Firefox, Edge and Chrome, switching to British English says it's all fine. 69 million Brits can't be wrong to slightly misquote.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 12:44 AM   #234
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by guanaco View Post
The word is verbing.
Why not denominalization? Anthimeria though that covers using any part of speech as another part of speech so not as precise? Conversion though again that can cover conversion in any direction.

And for what it's worth, verbification and verbify were around in the early 19th century.

Click image for larger version

Name:	verbing.png
Views:	71
Size:	214.5 KB
ID:	194224
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 06:08 PM   #235
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I just don't understand why the entire sports world can't hear how utterly stupid the phrase "he left his feet" sounds.

Suggested replacements (in no order of preference)
1) his feet left the ground/floor/ice/bag
2) he jumped in the air

Anything is better than a phrase that suggests he went somewhere that his feet did not!

I don't know how sportscasters say it (and the vast majority of them do) with a straight face.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 01:08 AM   #236
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Oh--- also “notate” and “commentate”

I understand that these have become acceptable nowadays, but still find them to be awkward and clumsy.

When and WHY did “annotate” and “comment” become anathema?

GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 07:18 PM   #237
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The use of 'more' and 'most' to qualify adjectives rather than using the comparative ('-er') and superlative ('-est') forms.

FX 'more quick' rather than 'quicker', 'most slow' rather than 'slowest'.

I thought it was a prolix-prone US trait, but I now hear it all the time on the BBC. And I really mean 'all the time', a commandment must have been issued from on high. Baby sister A(ustralian)BC is on the same path.

Stop it! Use not many words when few would serve.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-30-2022 at 10:55 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 03:13 AM   #238
sedgefog
sedgefog began at the beginning.

Device: Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I don't like nouns used as verbs either.
In the aftermath of the shootings in Buffalo I heard some official refer to "funeralizing" the victims.
This was shocking to read. It makes it sound as though it was done with aggression.
sedgefog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 02:16 PM   #239
arjaybe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedgefog View Post
This was shocking to read. It makes it sound as though it was done with aggression.
It sounds as if they see it as an industrial process.
Old 08-25-2022, 07:03 PM   #240
sedgefog
sedgefog began at the beginning.

Device: Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
It sounds as if they see it as an industrial process.
That's exactly what it sounds like. Even worse!
sedgefog is offline   Reply With Quote