Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-10-2022, 07:41 PM   #121
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by frquixote View Post
Absolutely agree! I migrated from the PW3 and love the tighter Calibre integration I have with Kobo Libra 2.
Would you be willing to explain a bit about what "tighter Calibre integration" means for a newbie? I just got a Libra 2, but I don't know how the Calibre experience differs between Kobo and Kindle devices. What new features did you get?
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 08:45 PM   #122
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Would you be willing to explain a bit about what "tighter Calibre integration" means for a newbie? I just got a Libra 2, but I don't know how the Calibre experience differs between Kobo and Kindle devices. What new features did you get?
Automatic metadata and collection management. Once you've set it up in the Calibre settings, Calibre will automatically update the metadata and sort the books into collections on your Kobo, every time you connect the Kobo to Calibre. To update metadata on a Kindle you'd have to delete and resend the books in question, and any collection management on a Kindle must be done manually, unless the Kindle is jailbroken.

You can also back up the database of your Kobo with Calibre, so that things like reading status won't get lost if you reset your Kobo for some reason.

Last edited by Sirtel; 09-10-2022 at 08:48 PM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 01:38 AM   #123
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I hope you will forgive the novice questions, but how does that differ from merely dragging and dropping e-books onto the Kobo, since it shows up as a simple USB drive? As I understand it, you can copy/paste e-books onto the device manually, and the Kobo will update its databases automatically to add the new books when you unmount it, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
You can also back up the database of your Kobo with Calibre, so that things like reading status won't get lost if you reset your Kobo for some reason.
Does using Calibre for this purpose differ from simply copying:

.kobo/BookReader.sqlite
and
.kobo/KoboReader.sqlite

(or the entire .kobo folder) to your PC for safe keeping, and then replacing them later after resetting your Kobo?
Old 09-11-2022, 04:03 AM   #124
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I hope you will forgive the novice questions, but how does that differ from merely dragging and dropping e-books onto the Kobo, since it shows up as a simple USB drive? As I understand it, you can copy/paste e-books onto the device manually, and the Kobo will update its databases automatically to add the new books when you unmount it, right?
If you change the metadata later (title, author, series), you won't have to delete and resend the books. Calibre will automatically update the metadata on your Kobo the next time you connect it. Calibre will also sort the books on your Kobo into collections, you won't have to do it manually on the device.

Of course, if you don't use Calibre to manage your library, then there won't be any difference whether it's a Kindle or a Kobo. Dragging and dropping via the file explorer works the same way on both. But you cannot change the book data on the device without deleting and re-copying the files.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 04:57 AM   #125
Aleron Ives
Wizard

Thanks for the help. Since I only have one book, I didn't know what Collections were, so I found Kobo's help page for that. I guess my library has a ways to go before I'd need to consider organising it with Calibre.
Old 09-13-2022, 08:45 AM   #126
Colonel Cathcart
Addict
Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
not only collections, but also series.
Colonel Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote