Notices

Old 03-09-2019, 05:01 AM   #601
Vaibhav sharma
Vaibhav sharma began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Version 1.28.0 - 02 Mar 2019

Add metadata (asset_id) required to allow Vocabulary Builder to work with sideloaded KFX books.

Preserve publication date metadata during conversion.

Detect Previewer versions up to 3.29.2.
How do I allow vocabulary builder on earlier kfx files? or i will have to reconvert all books?
Vaibhav sharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:25 AM   #602
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaibhav sharma View Post
How do I allow vocabulary builder on earlier kfx files? or i will have to reconvert all books?
You will have to reconvert any books that you want to work with vocabulary builder.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2019, 11:33 AM   #603
WuTangSword
WuTangSword began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle iOS app
Thank you for the plugin. I've successfully converted a book from epub to kfx in calibre, and it opens fine in Kindle Previewer, but I can't seem to transfer it to the Kindle app for iOS. When I try to export the file from Dropbox to Kindle, I get an error that says "incompatible document type" and "the document you tried to send is not of a compatible format." I get the same error when trying from the calibre companion app. I'm using version 6.16 of the Kindle Reader app. I was under the impression that kfx is a compatible format for the Kindle Reader for iOS. Any suggestions? Thank you!
WuTangSword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:48 AM   #604
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuTangSword View Post
Thank you for the plugin. I've successfully converted a book from epub to kfx in calibre, and it opens fine in Kindle Previewer, but I can't seem to transfer it to the Kindle app for iOS.
As far as I know the only way to transfer a book in KFX format to the Kindle for iOS app is to use iTunes. That allows you to transfer any file type whether or not the app has registered to accept it.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:27 PM   #605
WuTangSword
WuTangSword began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle iOS app
Quote:
As far as I know the only way to transfer a book in KFX format to the Kindle for iOS app is to use iTunes. That allows you to transfer any file type whether or not the app has registered to accept it.

This worked well, thank you!
WuTangSword is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2019, 07:01 PM   #606
adamYUKI
adamYUKI began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi @jhowell - thank you so much for a great plug-in! I've been able to convert most everything flawlessly, but just this morning I got this error when converting a book from epub to kfx:

From the very long error log, a few snippets:

Kindle Previewer error: Error:E00826: Indent value for list is either greater than 5 em or less than 0.5 em.", "level": "error", "det_msg": ""}

ET Error: Indent value for list is either greater than 5 em or less than 0.5 em.
Source File: ..\text\part0012_split_015.html (Line 12)
Recommended Fix: To ensure that content is rendered correctly across platforms, the accepted range for list indents is 0.5 em to 5 em. Change the code to provide values within this range.

Any advice on how I can proceed? Thank you in advance for your help with this!
adamYUKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 05:23 AM   #607
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamYUKI View Post
Hi @jhowell - thank you so much for a great plug-in! I've been able to convert most everything flawlessly, but just this morning I got this error when converting a book from epub to kfx:

From the very long error log, a few snippets:

Kindle Previewer error: Error:E00826: Indent value for list is either greater than 5 em or less than 0.5 em.", "level": "error", "det_msg": ""}

ET Error: Indent value for list is either greater than 5 em or less than 0.5 em.
Source File: ..\text\part0012_split_015.html (Line 12)
Recommended Fix: To ensure that content is rendered correctly across platforms, the accepted range for list indents is 0.5 em to 5 em. Change the code to provide values within this range.

Any advice on how I can proceed? Thank you in advance for your help with this!
The Kindle Previewer used by this plugin for KFX conversion has strict, mostly undocumented, requirements for formatting allowed in the book to be converted.

If you have good knowledge of HTML/CSS you may be able to fix the problem by editing the source file you are trying to convert using the calibre editor. This will take some trial and error. You would have to examine and modify the styles related to lists to prevent that particular error.

If not then you could try converting first to an e-book format that has simpler HTML coding, such as MOBI, and then converting the result to KFX. This will cause some loss of the book's original formatting, but may allow conversion to complete.

If that does not work then I recommend converting to and using AZW3 format for that book. Some books cannot be converted to KFX format.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:35 PM   #608
adamYUKI
adamYUKI began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
The Kindle Previewer used by this plugin for KFX conversion has strict, mostly undocumented, requirements for formatting allowed in the book to be converted.

If you have good knowledge of HTML/CSS you may be able to fix the problem by editing the source file you are trying to convert using the calibre editor. This will take some trial and error. You would have to examine and modify the styles related to lists to prevent that particular error.

If not then you could try converting first to an e-book format that has simpler HTML coding, such as MOBI, and then converting the result to KFX. This will cause some loss of the book's original formatting, but may allow conversion to complete.

If that does not work then I recommend converting to and using AZW3 format for that book. Some books cannot be converted to KFX format.
Thank you so much for your help! Converting first to MOBI and then to KFX did the trick. There are minor issues with conversion, as you mentioned, but it's great overall!
adamYUKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 10:26 AM   #609
lovingfriendstar
lovingfriendstar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Version 1.28.0 - 02 Mar 2019

Add metadata (asset_id) required to allow Vocabulary Builder to work with sideloaded KFX books.

Preserve publication date metadata during conversion.

Detect Previewer versions up to 3.29.2.
How on earth did I miss this? I've always wanted Vocabulary builder to work with KFX books because I'm learning English... Now all my dreams are coming true! Thank you so much for this!

EDIT:
Quote:
Would this method work for Android app too? Will it sync last read position to my Kindle?

Last edited by lovingfriendstar; 04-06-2019 at 10:40 AM.
lovingfriendstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 11:01 AM   #610
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingfriendstar View Post
Would this method work for Android app too?
You can sideload books in KFX format to Kindle for Android using the instructions in the first post of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingfriendstar View Post
Will it sync last read position to my Kindle?
No. Sideloaded KFX books will not sync reading position or annotations with your Amazon account or between devices.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:21 PM   #611
VovoKrall
VovoKrall began at the beginning.

Device: Moon Reader (Moto G)
Hi Jhowell. I want to congratulate you for this plugin. It has improved my readings a lot.

But I'm having some issues with hyphenation and there's a possibility it's a kfx format issue (not your plugin's). My Kindle PW3 is not separating the syllables correctly and there's still hyphenation on left align view. Do you know something about this?

The issue about not separating the syllables correctly only happens in english books, but the portuguese ones are perfect - all books metadatas are correctly set on Calibre. The hyphenation on left align view happens on both languages.
VovoKrall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:49 PM   #612
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VovoKrall View Post
But I'm having some issues with hyphenation and there's a possibility it's a kfx format issue (not your plugin's). My Kindle PW3 is not separating the syllables correctly...
Hyphenation is performed by the reading device using a hyphenation dictionary for each supported language. I have also seen that English words are occasionally split at incorrect locations. It is up to Amazon to fix that.

The best you can do is to make sure that you have the correct language specified in both the OPF metadata and the HTML content of your book.

Quote:
... and there's still hyphenation on left align view.
Choosing left alignment does not prevent hyphenation. It will still be used to prevent unusually short lines of text.

If you are familiar with how the edit the source files you are converting, you can turn off hyphenation completely in all or part of the text using CSS. The property to set for this is:

-webkit-hyphens: none
Old 04-16-2019, 08:31 AM   #613
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Version 1.29.0 - 16 Apr 2019

Detect Previewer versions up to 3.30.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:55 PM   #614
VovoKrall

Quote:
Hyphenation is performed by the reading device using a hyphenation dictionary for each supported language. I have also seen that English words are occasionally split at incorrect locations. It is up to Amazon to fix that.

The best you can do is to make sure that you have the correct language specified in both the OPF metadata and the HTML content of your book.
At least to me, it's happening all the time, as you can see on the attached photo.

Sadly, Amazon takes a lot of time to fix some issues. The weird is some people don't seem to have the same problem with their Kindles: https://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comm...s_hyphenation/

Can it be an issue with the english hyphenation dictionary? The portuguese kfx books are perfect.

Quote:
Choosing left alignment does not prevent hyphenation. It will still be used to prevent unusually short lines of text.

If you are familiar with how the edit the source files you are converting, you can turn off hyphenation completely in all or part of the text using CSS. The property to set for this is:

-webkit-hyphens: none
I like hyphenation, specially in kfx files, but it makes no sense to hyphenate once the text is left aligned.

Sorry for venting about those issues. It's Amazon responsibility.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190416-183833.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	170738  
Old 04-16-2019, 06:14 PM   #615
VovoKrall

Quote:
At least to me, it's happening all the time, as you can see on the attached photo.

Sadly, Amazon takes a lot of time to fix some issues. The weird is some people don't seem to have the same problem with their Kindles: https://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comm...s_hyphenation/

Can it be an issue with the english hyphenation dictionary? The portuguese kfx books are perfect.

I like hyphenation, specially in kfx files, but it makes no sense to hyphenate once the text is left aligned.

Sorry for venting about those issues. It's Amazon responsibility.
Oh boy, it seems that I'm the one separating syllables incorrectly. Can someone confirm me this? xD

Tags
kfx, linux, wine