Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Offline > Kindle Books (offline)

Notices

Old 04-08-2008, 10:35 PM   #1
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Aristophanes: Lysistrata, v.1, 9 April 2008.

An illustrated play. The illustrations are by Norman Lindsay and the introduction and translation is by Jack Lindsay.

First performed in 411 BCE, this is a comedy.
Lysistrata, an Athenian woman, is fed up with the Peloponnesian war. So she summons a council of women from all the Greek states and persuades them to go on a sex strike until peace is agreed.

Found on PG. The file is big because of the pictures.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:33 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This is a wonderful play! I've read the Greek original - extremely rude and very funny .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2008, 04:36 PM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I too had to read it when I was learning Greek, many years ago (It's amazing how quickly one can forget it). I remember causing a small riot when translating a passage from the Lysistrata in class. The verb Bineo was used. The dictionary said that it was a colloquial verb for sex, so I translated it with an anglo-saxon colloquialism.
After that, the teacher moved us to Demosthenes Against Neaira, for weeks.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:23 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I remember causing a small riot when translating a passage from the Lysistrata in class. The verb Bineo was used. The dictionary said that it was a colloquial verb for sex, so I translated it with an anglo-saxon colloquialism.
Lidell and Scott (the "standard" Greek dictionary, for those unfamiliar with it) is very "Victorian" and coy about verbs like that . Your translation was spot on, I'd say.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote