Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-21-2011, 02:33 AM   #31
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Well I hunkered down and finished "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest" while a good read, I'm glad it's done, I think it was a hindernance LOL, something lost in translation for that one or something.

I ended up reading through another book today as well (well, short story) called Killers (sequal to Serial) by Blake Crouch and Jack Kilborn, they each created a character in Serial and wrote separately, then came together to write when the characters met...and interesting venture. They did the same with this as well. NOT for the faint of heart, and violence for violence sake, but was a fun read!
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:51 AM   #32
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
hmm right now sort of going through a funk myself. paused 2 books and slowly reading a nice mystery.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2011, 05:16 PM   #33
ChipnDale
Rescue Rangers
ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad
Went through this a while back, just now getting back into the flow.
ChipnDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:28 PM   #34
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Several years ago one of the many "fad diet" books that came out was from a guy who 'almost' got through Med school. While he did not have credentials - he had some interesting and thoughtful advice.

One of his ideas is that we need to sometimes go on a "Information Fast".

The idea is this - all media (Internet, radio, magazines, newspapers and TV) tries to stimulate you. Eventually you get over-whelmed and need to fast.

His advice was that for one weekend you avoid the computer, TV, books, printed material, etc. Try to walk to the store and buy fresh food (not convience food) and spend time making meals. You can listen to light, inspirational music but thats about it.

I have done this and .. it's hard the first day. But by Monday - I am more relaxed and instead of being over-whelmed by un-read books, Netflix guilt, un-read emails, I have renewed interest in my hobbies.

Sometimes - you need a vacation from the things you love to appreciate them again.

Just an idea.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:47 PM   #35
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDog View Post
Several years ago one of the many "fad diet" books that came out was from a guy who 'almost' got through Med school. While he did not have credentials - he had some interesting and thoughtful advice.

One of his ideas is that we need to sometimes go on a "Information Fast".

The idea is this - all media (Internet, radio, magazines, newspapers and TV) tries to stimulate you. Eventually you get over-whelmed and need to fast.

His advice was that for one weekend you avoid the computer, TV, books, printed material, etc. Try to walk to the store and buy fresh food (not convience food) and spend time making meals. You can listen to light, inspirational music but thats about it.

I have done this and .. it's hard the first day. But by Monday - I am more relaxed and instead of being over-whelmed by un-read books, Netflix guilt, un-read emails, I have renewed interest in my hobbies.

Sometimes - you need a vacation from the things you love to appreciate them again.

Just an idea.
I like that idea. I do take "information beaks" from time to time, but I haven't done it in a while.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2011, 06:28 AM   #36
Frida Fantastic
SF/F book blogger
Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Other folks have called it a "media fast". It's actually a good stress reliever. Whenever I'm anxious or stressed about something, I don't read world or national news.

I also got really stressed reading through Ted Kaczynski's Technological Slavery and just had to put it down. The ideas were really compelling, but they're just really heavy and clearly asking for distroy-all-technology like the beginning of A Canticle for Leibowitz style. Interestingly enough, he mentioned the possibility of a new technological age rising out of the ashes of the grand plan anyway, but it ain't his concern. I really wonder if he's ever read Canticle. He should. Maybe it's not available in his prison. Anyway yes, insightful, but stressful!

I tend to get stressed by a lot of the nonfiction I pick out, which explains why I read a lot more fiction. Although some fiction will obviously lead you to not feeling much better. E.g. Canticle.
Frida Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:21 AM   #37
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashfulbanshee View Post
Other folks have called it a "media fast". It's actually a good stress reliever. Whenever I'm anxious or stressed about something, I don't read world or national news.

I also got really stressed reading through Ted Kaczynski's Technological Slavery and just had to put it down. The ideas were really compelling, but they're just really heavy and clearly asking for distroy-all-technology like the beginning of A Canticle for Leibowitz style. Interestingly enough, he mentioned the possibility of a new technological age rising out of the ashes of the grand plan anyway, but it ain't his concern. I really wonder if he's ever read Canticle. He should. Maybe it's not available in his prison. Anyway yes, insightful, but stressful!

I tend to get stressed by a lot of the nonfiction I pick out, which explains why I read a lot more fiction. Although some fiction will obviously lead you to not feeling much better. E.g. Canticle.
Been there, done that, (each of those) and got the t-shirts.

I love Canticle for Leibowitz and have gone through my own hating technology and being re-born to use it as as a tool to better understand humanity phases.

Still the idea of a break or management is a great one. I personally avoid all the prime-time krap on tv, watch only the daily news from BBC and local and science/history type programs mostly.

I try to stop and meditate for a half hour or longer each day....

We must all manage our technology usage (I'm way too addicted to internet forums but am working on it) and our tendency to get caught up by the mass media.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:36 PM   #38
Frida Fantastic
SF/F book blogger
Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
We must all manage our technology usage (I'm way too addicted to internet forums but am working on it) and our tendency to get caught up by the mass media.
Same here. Sitting around consuming media is just so easy compared to doing other kinds of activities. While I still love books and comic books and other sorts of geekery, I've been making an effort to pursue hobbies that actually take me outside or at least moving.

I don't do it anymore, but as a lifelong geek, I was surprised to discover that one of the most exhilarating experiences possible is boxing. There's nothing that beats the adrenaline and the focus of assessing your opponent, dodging their punches, and feeling all your punches connect. That kind of tactile feedback can't be beat. While I love books, seriously, there's nothing that beats the oh-god-I'm-alive whole body experience of combat sports.
Frida Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:33 PM   #39
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashfulbanshee View Post

I don't do it anymore, but as a lifelong geek, I was surprised to discover that one of the most exhilarating experiences possible is boxing. There's nothing that beats the adrenaline and the focus of assessing your opponent, dodging their punches, and feeling all your punches connect. That kind of tactile feedback can't be beat. While I love books, seriously, there's nothing that beats the oh-god-I'm-alive whole body experience of combat sports.
As said by Bashful Frida!
Old 04-23-2011, 10:34 AM   #40
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
I find it has a lot to do with how much energy I have When I am very tired, I go for escapist reading, often rereading. When I'm a bit more energetic I prefer something with more mental muscle. I always have multiple books on the go and this predates my Kindle by decades.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:15 PM   #41
Assassin
Connoisseur
Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: kindle
Guess I'm different.
If I don't get into a book in the first forty or fifty pages I admit I made a mistake and I'm done with it. With a good read I can't wait to finish and spend all my free time and late into the night to learn the ending.
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:24 PM   #42
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
Guess I'm different.
If I don't get into a book in the first forty or fifty pages I admit I made a mistake and I'm done with it. With a good read I can't wait to finish and spend all my free time and late into the night to learn the ending.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:59 AM   #43
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I definitely go through reading funks - for various reasons. I know I was very disappointed in myself that I couldn't bring myself to finish Midnight's Children for example.

It was clearly great writing and I've read and enjoyed the author before. But I just couldn't bring myself to finish.

I had problems before with Iain M Banks and Use of Weapons. For me it's not been the book at the time, it's just been where I was personally at that time. Sometimes I just don't get into reading.

At that time, I just need to get my head out of the problem and look to any of my other interests like movies, music, computer programming or my recent odd hobby of making cordials and jams.

Maybe next time this happens I could actually do something that involves going outside.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:03 PM   #44
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Anyone else get into one of these?
Absolutely. For me it's been about half a year, and it's only very recently I've started to read for fun again. Looking back, I think it was a combination of stress and lack of time. The feeling that you have all these things to do, and when you finally settle down to read, you can't concentrate. I watched a bit of TV instead, to relax, but I'm really glad to be back to reading.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:08 PM   #45
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
I burned out after like one month on the 100 books for 2011. Iv'e picked back up again but Im not even keeping track now.
BenBanned is offline   Reply With Quote