Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-19-2011, 02:18 AM   #1
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
In a serious funk.

Anyone else get into one of these?

I don't think I've finished a book in a month! I started reading The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets nest, and just kind of stopped reading! The book is great though, which is weird. I only have about 120 pages left.

I think maybe I went to hard too fast into the whole read 100 books in 2011 thing, and read 30 books in the first 2-3 months and just got burnt out.

I'm sure once I get something that I really want to read again it'll start back up....but man, I was thinking about this, and thought..wow I haven't read an entire book in a month!
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:36 AM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Everyone has periods where they don't do things they usually do for fun. Whether it's watching movies, listening to music, reading, etc. Sometimes for no reason the interest drops for a bit. I wouldn't worry too much as long as the disinterest doesn't spread to life in general or continue for a prolonged period of time.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:07 AM   #3
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I go through periods of not finishing any book I start. I have a collection called "not finished" eventually I get back to them.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:38 AM   #4
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Actually, I go through reading slumps pretty often. Not really stop reading, but nothing seems to hold my interest. Pop from one book to another trying to find something that clicks. Kind of in one now, though I did finish a short T.A. Pratt book this morning - The Bone Shop.

I don't worry too much about it. Always manage to find something to re-spark my interest.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:41 AM   #5
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Even my reading has slowed way down; and I'm one of those people who always has a book in my hand (well okay, these days it's my Sony). But between a writing intensive English class this term and us just being so danged busy, I haven't read nearly as much as I've intended to, lately.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:47 AM   #6
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
I go through periods too where it's hard for one book to capture my interest. Sometimes, I solve the problem by reading multiple books at the same time (like I'm current doing), sometimes I solve it by reading bits of book, putting it down and then picking it up again after some time and then sometimes I solve this issue by just realizing that some books aren't interesting or good enough to keep my interest for 300 or more pages and I consider it done. I usually try to read at least 100 pages before giving up on a book. Life's too short to stick with uninteresting books just so I can say that I read every page.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:57 AM   #7
rogerVA
Connoisseur
rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite & Kindle 3
When I'm feeling down and depressed I can't concentrate on the page much, so I'll keep reading the same page a couple times to get it's meaning. That's when I know it's time to put off reading until later. Not saying you're suffering from depression, but that's sometimes my excuse.
rogerVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:18 PM   #8
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Anyone else get into one of these?

I don't think I've finished a book in a month! I started reading The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets nest, and just kind of stopped reading! The book is great though, which is weird. I only have about 120 pages left.

I think maybe I went to hard too fast into the whole read 100 books in 2011 thing, and read 30 books in the first 2-3 months and just got burnt out.

I'm sure once I get something that I really want to read again it'll start back up....but man, I was thinking about this, and thought..wow I haven't read an entire book in a month!
Maybe it is something with that book. I hit a wall with it too. I mean, great book and I enjoyed it, but just kinda lost my zeal to read for a bit. I finished it though, and back on the reading wagon.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:01 PM   #9
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I trade off hobbies. I also do charity knitting, and I am in a serious funk over not getting that done (I did 500 hours last year, but am only doing 100 this year. I am about half done). This 100 book challenge really got me going for the year. But it also forced me to finish some books I really didn't want to. But I hurried with those, so I could get to the next book i wanted to read.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:03 PM   #10
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
This happened to me at the end of February, which is why I'm a little behind now. In my case, my brain was restless - I was immersing myself in the creations of others, and the answer was to do my own creating. I worked on an ongoing music project for about a month, then I was able to go back to reading with no problem.

So, maybe it's possible that your subconscious is saying, "Hey, I wanna do something else for a while!" but you haven't discovered what it is yet. Or, maybe the book was good, but not engaging enough to keep you in it. That's happened to me, and I needed a "break" after before I could get into anything else.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:09 PM   #11
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Ditto!

I have 30 books on my Sony, couldn't get interested in any, so added a few more books, and even then I'd either decide I didn't care for the book at all (deleting it from Calibre entirely), or would delete it from the device, leaving it at Calibre to try again later.

Right now I'm reading an ebook that's okay, but not great.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:43 PM   #12
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
I go those funks myself. Like others above, I either read several different books until one catches my attention or I start reading short stories. I have a ton of short stories stashed away for when my attention wanes and I can't figure out why.

Of course, there's always Angry Birds. And Diablo.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:50 PM   #13
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Slightly off topic: Stieg Larson and Dr. Atkins prove my point that in order to be famous in our society one has to die. No one ever heard of Stieg Larson until he died then all of a sudden every one is reading his books. No one ever heard of Atkins until he died then every one is doing the diet. Thus the formula for sucess is:

Great Idea + Death = Stardom and Great idea ≠ Stardom.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:56 PM   #14
jkeene
Connoisseur
jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Kindle 3
I used to have those never finishing a book stretches. But so far, my new strategy is working. I have three books going at once, one non-fiction (usually history), one short story collection, and one novel length fiction.

Quote:
Of course, there's always Angry Birds. And Diablo.
Get back, you hellspawn! Diablo 2 put some serious hurt in my wrists, back in the day. And to think I'll have to face down the temptation of Diablo 3 in the near future.
jkeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:59 PM   #15
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Actually, Atkins diet was popular before he died. The no carb diet started taking off in 2002, picking up with the 2002 edition of his book New Diet Revolution. I remember when he died in '03, it hurt the popularity of the diet, because people suspected that his health issues, weight issues, and death were related to the diet.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote