Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-07-2009, 10:02 AM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Now the fun begins... winner... consumer. :)

Now that the nook reviews are out and units will be in consumer hands starting today, we're in for a lively time in e-ink world.

I (I can only speak for myself), consider the nook to be the first real competition for the Kindle. I'm really looking forward to seeing what the next generation Kindle will bring (though I still want a PL Que and/or Alex). K3 could be out in the next 2 to 6 months (a total guess).

I don't need the whiz bang of the LCD screen (cool as it is). I hope the new Kindle brings much better book organization be it folders or tags, Maybe some non-DRM ePUB support. A better PDF feature with dictionary look-up and notations.

So let's all sit back, relax, let the Titans fight it out (we don't need to fight each other), and reap the rewards of the battle.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:05 AM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
as I've said over in the nook forum, this is exciting, kind of a Christmas morning sort of feel, waiting for all the nook buyers to open up their new toys and share with us!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2009, 10:09 AM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Great point, Duck.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:10 AM   #4
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
. . . (though I still want a PL Que and/or Alex). . .
Daffy, are you definitely buying a PL Que when it is released or are you just anxious to see the reviews?
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:38 AM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Daffy, are you definitely buying a PL Que when it is released or are you just anxious to see the reviews?
I am going to wait for reviews before I buy. I figure it's going to cost a big chunk of change and I don't want to spend the money on something that's just "okay".
Advert
Old 12-07-2009, 11:23 AM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
I am going to wait for reviews before I buy. I figure it's going to cost a big chunk of change and I don't want to spend the money on something that's just "okay".
And how do you feel about your Asus netbook?

Still lovin' it?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:26 AM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
And how do you feel about your Asus netbook?

Still lovin' it?
Still mostly lovin' it. I use it a lot. I still have the same issue I've had from day 1, with the the cursor jumping around when I type. It's still too easy to brush the touchpad accidentally and have whatever I'm typing jump to a place I don't want it. I think I'd have the same issue with any netbook.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:03 PM   #8
Dr. Wily
We Are In Control
Dr. Wily doesn't litterDr. Wily doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2 International
I have an Asus netbook. An eee PC. I love it, and use it for all my graphic design work.

However, the mouse has messed up. Right click stopped working, so I used the touchpad. Now the touchpad doesn't click when I tap it. I've only had it since the summer.

I hope they don't bring out a Kindle 3. Well, I shouldn't say that. It's just I only just got a Kindle 2, and if they get a Kindle 3 with loads more dfeatures, where does that leave us Kindle 2 owners?
Dr. Wily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:12 PM   #9
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Still mostly lovin' it. I use it a lot. I still have the same issue I've had from day 1, with the the cursor jumping around when I type. It's still too easy to brush the touchpad accidentally and have whatever I'm typing jump to a place I don't want it. I think I'd have the same issue with any netbook.
I have an Acer netbook and found the touchpad so annoying that I bought a miniture wireless mouse. It was SOOOOO worth it.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:31 PM   #10
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Wily View Post
I have an Asus netbook. An eee PC. I love it, and use it for all my graphic design work.

However, the mouse has messed up. Right click stopped working, so I used the touchpad. Now the touchpad doesn't click when I tap it. I've only had it since the summer.

I hope they don't bring out a Kindle 3. Well, I shouldn't say that. It's just I only just got a Kindle 2, and if they get a Kindle 3 with loads more dfeatures, where does that leave us Kindle 2 owners?
the same place it left K1 owners when K2 came out. and just think about the international folks that had bit the bullet, bought the standard K2, and then the international came out! change and progress are inevitable. at some point you get left holding the bag of old tricks. you can smile and march on thinking about how many improvements are coming your way until you can afford the next upgrade. or you can be Mr. Kauffman
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:35 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Wily View Post
eBay!
Old 12-07-2009, 03:37 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I have an Acer netbook and found the touchpad so annoying that I bought a miniture wireless mouse. It was SOOOOO worth it.
Yes, I have one as well and use it when I start to get too annoyed but I need to turn off the touch pad (which I haven't done).
Old 12-07-2009, 04:00 PM   #13
xianfox
Ebook Addict
xianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
If you're still using XP, I used to use a little program called TouchFreeze (open source) that helped a lot. It didn't completely solve the problem, but reduced it about 80%.

Unfortunately, it's not updated for Windows 7 yet and that's what I'm running on my ASUS.

http://code.google.com/p/touchfreeze/

Update: It looks like it may be working for some under Windows 7. I'll have to give it a try again myself.

Last edited by xianfox; 12-07-2009 at 04:03 PM.
xianfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:15 PM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by xianfox View Post
If you're still using XP, I used to use a little program called TouchFreeze (open source) that helped a lot. It didn't completely solve the problem, but reduced it about 80%.

Unfortunately, it's not updated for Windows 7 yet and that's what I'm running on my ASUS.

http://code.google.com/p/touchfreeze/

Update: It looks like it may be working for some under Windows 7. I'll have to give it a try again myself.
Oooh thanks! I am running Windows 7 Professional so I do XP mode if I have to. I'll give it a try!
Old 12-07-2009, 04:36 PM   #15
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I (I can only speak for myself), consider the nook to be the first real competition for the Kindle.
In the category of EInk ebook reader with an "Over The Air" ebook store, there are three players in the US now: a) Amazon, b) B&N, and c) Sony. I'm still not entirely sure that Sony is going to make its ePub ebooks available to everyone, but if they do then they have a chance of competing against Amazon and B&N on ebook price (if they want to). They also need to get the Daily Editions price down to compete directly with the Kindle 2 and the Nook.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote