Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-11-2017, 06:08 PM   #1
Jlangston
Jlangston began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Best device for reading and annotating PDF files?

I am in the middle of a PhD and I am over run by articles; I print them out as I can't read them off a computer screen or tablet. I love my first generation kindle for reading but I can't read pdf files on it as they are the wrong size. So I started to look at ereaders, in particular the Sony digital paper series but that isn't going anymore and wasn't in the uk.

I use a mac, iPad, iPhone (can't read off them, it gives me a head ache).
I'm in the uk.
I don't want it to do anything but pdf files, I don't want a tablet, email, apps etc.
It can't have the glare and shine of a tablet or screen, the paper white of the kindle is perfect.
I want to be able to annotate pdfs, generally I highlight and make margin notes.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
Jlangston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:18 PM   #2
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
For reading PDF, I would recommend a larger screen. As you're in the UK, that expands your horizons a bit. I understand the Onyx e-ink readers are easily available there.

For more mainstream, I'd recommend the Kobo Aura One or Aura H2O.

Not sure about annotations. Haven't tried annotating PDFs. However, both the Onyx and Kobo readers are somewhat flexible; it's possible one of the alternative PDF readers out there like Koreader would do the job.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2017, 05:48 PM   #3
Jlangston
Jlangston began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thank you!

I've been looking at the Kobo but the youtube videos show it to be hard to read pdfs when they are two columns.

Will have a look at the Onyx e-ink too. Thank you.

If only the remarkable tablet was out...
Jlangston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:32 PM   #4
allochi
Connoisseur
allochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Aura
I use Sony DPS-1, it's perfect, Onyx Max seems to be nice, I didn't try it, but I did order remarkable tablet for the following reason:

- Higher DPI = Sharper Darker Text
- 10" seems to be easier to carry and handle + I always end up with margins on the 13"
- The software seems to be well taken care of, I don't want a buggy version of android
- For me using DPS-1 means I can't use EBUP, but with remarkable I will be able
- the company is in Norway, so it's in Europe

The software, the software, the software, you can have something packed with hardware, but the software can't run it and then it end up useless, my I had some other models before and they had some version of android, which sounds nice on paper, but then it turned out to be unstable experience.

I would recommend getting the remarkable since they have 40% discount including all the accessories, Sony seems to be silent on a follow up model for DPS-1, although they did update the software like a month or two ago.
allochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 01:55 AM   #5
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
In my opinion the ReMarkable is a huge gamble until you see how good the software actually is.
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2017, 02:55 AM   #6
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
Since this question comes up a lot and in my opinion all 6" readers are not really equipped to show pdf's well, I was astonished how good my Pocketbook reader is doing this.

Here is a link to a videotest of Pocketbook TL3 performance on pdf's.
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:50 PM   #7
Bookchin
Connoisseur
Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
What is the best minimum screen size for reading pdf's?
Bookchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:28 PM   #8
Amiieey
Connoisseur
Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Likebook Mars, Kindle Fire HD 8
I saw the Jing Page X someone mentioned on this site before, 9.7" screen and you can use a pen to annotate. There's also a version without the pen functionality which is cheaper. I really don't know how good it is though because nobody here has one but just thought it was worth a shot
Amiieey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:35 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookchin View Post
What is the best minimum screen size for reading pdf's?
If they are page-scanned PDFs, I'd say 9.7" as a minimum, and ideally 13". I bought the 12.9" iPad Pro specifically for reading PDFs and it's far better at it than my older 9.7" iPad Air 2. The larger screen means I can read any PDF at its original page size with no zooming or scrolling.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:49 AM   #10
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
If you go with a large screen, Onyx is definitely the most tested device. It runs Android so you can install PDF reader apps, and it comes with its own software. I suggest you read about it in the Onyx sub-forum.

The only other reliable alternative is the big Sony PDF reader, but that will be hard to find at the moment, and they are releasing a new one soon.

Using a smaller device is possible, but difficult. If you try to use a small device, I suggest you look at kpdfopt

http://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=144711

This will reformat a PDF to fit a 6" screen.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:52 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
If you go with a large screen, Onyx is definitely the most tested device. It runs Android so you can install PDF reader apps, and it comes with its own software. I suggest you read about it in the Onyx sub-forum.

The only other reliable alternative is the big Sony PDF reader, but that will be hard to find at the moment, and they are releasing a new one soon.
Onyx are also releasing a new version of the Max, but it's always advisable to treat announced release dates as "hopes" until the device actually appears. I agree that Onyx are the best option for large-screen eInk devices at present.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:54 AM   #12
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Onyx are also releasing a new version of the Max, but it's always advisable to treat announced release dates as "hopes" until the device actually appears. I agree that Onyx are the best option for large-screen eInk devices at present.
The new Onyx Max is supposed to be released on April 20th, I believe.

On another note, the 9.7" is half the price of the 13". If you have the money for the Max, then it is the ideal solution. But the 9.7" version should be adequate to read PDFs on. But again, use the Onyx sub-forum to make sure.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:58 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
The new Onyx Max is supposed to be released on April 20th, I believe.

On another note, the 9.7" is half the price of the 13". If you have the money for the Max, then it is the ideal solution. But the 9.7" version should be adequate to read PDFs on. But again, use the Onyx sub-forum to make sure.
Agreed, and good advice .
Old 04-14-2017, 06:29 PM   #14
Bookchin
Connoisseur
Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If they are page-scanned PDFs, I'd say 9.7" as a minimum, and ideally 13". I bought the 12.9" iPad Pro specifically for reading PDFs and it's far better at it than my older 9.7" iPad Air 2. The larger screen means I can read any PDF at its original page size with no zooming or scrolling.
Thanks. Are there types of PDFs which are not page scanned?
Bookchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:03 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Certainly, yes.