Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 01-11-2014, 07:04 AM   #1
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Traditional Publishing Truth

Better read this fast, the original article was pulled, but Google still has it in cache...

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=uk

I think some will find that very eye-opening.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:11 AM   #2
Ranny
Connoisseur
Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Very interesting read and you can see why authors prefer selling ebooks.
Ranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2014, 07:14 AM   #3
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranny View Post
Very interesting read and you can see why authors prefer selling ebooks.
Quite true.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:20 AM   #4
Ken.Hagdal
Connoisseur
Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Thank you for the link. Sad that she felt she had to pull her post.
Ken.Hagdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:23 AM   #5
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.Hagdal View Post
Thank you for the link. Sad that she felt she had to pull her post.

As I understand it, most trad contracts have a "do not speak about the terms" clause in them. She might have gotten in trouble for violating that. That is just a guess though.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2014, 03:00 PM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
As a side note all 4 of her books are available as ebooks over at Amazon.
Click
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:43 PM   #7
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
All this makes me now much more willing to buy ebooks instead of pbooks.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:12 PM   #8
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I think that article was just whingeing. Surely all authors understand that an advance is an advance on royalties, not a gift. It's a bit like when I used to let rooms and took a month's advance rent plus deposit. The rent allowed them to live there for a month, then they'd pay me again to live there for another month. Likewise, advances on royalties, if £5,000 covers the first £5k of the royalties an author makes on the book, when that figure is exceeded, the author begins receiving royalty payments.

This is nothing new to anyone who has an interest in writing, so I felt she was just having a bit of a moan. Unless the piece was written for non-writers who have the mistaken impression that writers make lots of money when only a few do.

Last edited by BookCat; 01-11-2014 at 05:14 PM.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:54 PM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I think that article was just whingeing. Surely all authors understand that an advance is an advance on royalties, not a gift. It's a bit like when I used to let rooms and took a month's advance rent plus deposit. The rent allowed them to live there for a month, then they'd pay me again to live there for another month. Likewise, advances on royalties, if £5,000 covers the first £5k of the royalties an author makes on the book, when that figure is exceeded, the author begins receiving royalty payments.

This is nothing new to anyone who has an interest in writing, so I felt she was just having a bit of a moan. Unless the piece was written for non-writers who have the mistaken impression that writers make lots of money when only a few do.
How is it whingeing? She said several times that she wasn't bashing her publisher and that she wasn't complaining.
Quote:
I'm going to give you the lowdown. Get ready. (And please know that I am NOT bashing my publisher. They are a business, so it's safe to say their goal is to make money along with spreading the love of reading.)
Quote:
And I'm happy - so grateful. I truly am. Please, please don't think this post is about me complaining or being negative. I simply want to dispel the myth that all published authors are loaded with money. It's an unhealthy assumption that hurts and disappoints all involved.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:44 PM   #10
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Thanks for posting it, but that article's all information that is very readily available. If you're considering publication and don't know that, you haven't done your due diligence.

The other thing to remember is that while the average indie author starts getting paid faster and gets more money per book, the vast majority don't make $10,000 for their first book either, no matter how it gets spread out.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:26 PM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Thanks for posting it, but that article's all information that is very readily available. If you're considering publication and don't know that, you haven't done your due diligence.

The other thing to remember is that while the average indie author starts getting paid faster and gets more money per book, the vast majority don't make $10,000 for their first book either, no matter how it gets spread out.
And even authors who are big names now (like Stephen King for example) started out in exactly the same way.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:09 PM   #12
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
If you already have a following and a backlist, you'd be a fool to put it with a commercial house. However, if you're just starting out it's well worth the time to look at all your options and balance them out. Neither commercial nor indie publishing is right for everyone.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:49 PM   #13
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Surely all authors understand that an advance is an advance on royalties, not a gift.
She's a young adult author addressing her readers, especially ones who ask for freebees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
As I understand it, most trad contracts have a "do not speak about the terms" clause in them.
I don't think HarperCollins should do that. They should see themselves in the business of disseminating information, not suppressing it. They also are in the business of making money, but I can't believe there is solid evidence that such clauses increase publisher profits.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:54 AM   #14
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I imagine it's a negotiation thing.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:58 AM   #15
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
I imagine it's a negotiation thing.
I'd guess that negotiation comes later after someone has sold a number of books. What exactly would a novice writer have to negotiate with?