Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-07-2011, 10:08 AM   #61
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_steve View Post
I thought i was pretty clear in my post that i had no idea what i was missing, as i was yet to miss anything when browsing so far.
Nothing to do with defensive or whatever else, i just literally have no idea what the fuss is about. I guess i'm just lucky that the websites i frequent aren't completely flash reliant.

But please, continue with the apple bashing bandwagon thing you've got going on...
Hi digital Steve have you seen this video yet? Do you think there is a hint of truth to it?

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/gadgetrevi...nt-video/22845

Last edited by boswd; 03-07-2011 at 11:18 AM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #62
Caltsar
Zealot
Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: nook Touch, iPad, iPhone
The link you gave is broken.

I've personally been using flashblock for several years now. For a while I had to unblock elements to view video, but now most places let me avoid flash altogether for that. There are a few sites I still need flash for video.

Of course, games and such will still require flash, but ever since I blocked flash, ads are way less annoying, and I'm part of the crowd that's happy iOS doesn't have flash support. If you need flash, by all means go buy yourself an android tablet and stop pretending that we buy iOS stuff not knowing the consequences of having no flash support.
Caltsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2011, 01:13 PM   #63
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltsar View Post
The link you gave is broken.

I've personally been using flashblock for several years now. For a while I had to unblock elements to view video, but now most places let me avoid flash altogether for that. There are a few sites I still need flash for video.

Of course, games and such will still require flash, but ever since I blocked flash, ads are way less annoying, and I'm part of the crowd that's happy iOS doesn't have flash support. If you need flash, by all means go buy yourself an android tablet and stop pretending that we buy iOS stuff not knowing the consequences of having no flash support.

sorry about that looks like the closed down the blog, upset Steve Jobs pulling in some censorship? j/k

here try this link

http://www.webpronews.com/2011/03/04...nan-treatment/

but you see with other devices you do get the option to block Flash. Key word here is YOU . Apple is telling you what's good for you. that's one of the big issues many people have with Apple. If I don't want to see flahs content, let ME decide that. with the iPad and iPhone, iPod touch, Apple has made the decision for you.

Last edited by boswd; 03-07-2011 at 01:15 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:38 PM   #64
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
I'd say that if you need flash and know that the iPad doesn't have it, then why buy it?

I'm confused about the whole thing really.
The only thing i see here i apple bashing for the sake of it, which is fine if you're that way inclined (you won't hear me singing apple's praises, but i like some of their products), but this just seems like whinging for the sake of it.

As i said, i still have no idea what i'm supposedly missing out on with the absence of flash. It must simply be, to my benefit, that i don't frequent sites with wads of flash content.
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #65
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20040008-17.html

IMO, this is one of the biggest issues with using an ipad as an ereader.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2011, 08:09 PM   #66
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post

ah, all that light. we've started putting cardboard behind our window blinds because there's a bright light outside every night. my sister, the nurse, wants complete darkness so we can produce more melatonin or something like that, and reduce the risk for disease.

problem is, i'm scared of the dark
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:32 PM   #67
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post

????? Really? You are blaming the iPad for sleep disruption? Not buying it. No different than watching your LCD TV and then going to bed. Frankly I'm more likely to have bad dreams from the shoot it up crime drama I watched than by reading a book on iPad or Touch.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:39 PM   #68
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAstoria View Post
????? Really? You are blaming the iPad for sleep disruption? Not buying it. No different than watching your LCD TV and then going to bed. Frankly I'm more likely to have bad dreams from the shoot it up crime drama I watched than by reading a book on iPad or Touch.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/tech...ook-sleep.html
Not me... only sleep researchers. what do they know right?
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:11 AM   #69
saykhong
saykhong began at the beginning.

Device: none
Personally I feel, there is not need to go to the extent of hating your ipad. I mean you agree to pay that much to get such a item already, Why regret only when you have it. Just enjoy what it has to offer.
saykhong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:32 PM   #70
Catz2.0
Catz2.0 began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital E Reader, iPhone 4
How could anyone hate it? I think its much more user friendly when compared to other tabs.
Catz2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:35 AM   #71
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
The absolute only thing so far I've found that I wish my iPad 1 did that it doesn't do is play the browser version of Entanglement. Yes, I know there's an iOS version of the game but the browser version is much, much, more aesthetically pleasing.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:25 AM   #72
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
The absolute only thing so far I've found that I wish my iPad 1 did that it doesn't do is play the browser version of Entanglement. Yes, I know there's an iOS version of the game but the browser version is much, much, more aesthetically pleasing.
Well, you can still play the browser version. I just got mine today and it seems that CourseSmart and VitalSource are better when used via the browser.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:07 AM   #73
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
Well, you can still play the browser version. I just got mine today and it seems that CourseSmart and VitalSource are better when used via the browser.
Uh oh. I haven't tried those on the iPad. I have VitalSource for ebooks for school.

I tried playing the browser version of Entanglement on the iPad, (using Safari) with little to no success. It lags, badly. I may end up breaking down and buying the app anyway, because I really like the game... but I really wish they'd redo it to incorporate the browser version's graphics and music.

Last edited by phenomshel; 03-15-2011 at 03:08 AM. Reason: typo monster
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:52 AM   #74
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Uh oh. I haven't tried those on the iPad. I have VitalSource for ebooks for school.

I tried playing the browser version of Entanglement on the iPad, (using Safari) with little to no success. It lags, badly. I may end up breaking down and buying the app anyway, because I really like the game... but I really wish they'd redo it to incorporate the browser version's graphics and music.
At 3:30am I have discovered why everyone complains about no Flash player. I went on Blackboard, for school, to view my prof's chapter review power points, which is, essentially, everything that we need to know. After nothing came up, I remembered that iPad doesn't support Flash. I wonder how they expect to become a staple for education if students, like myself are finding so many snags after owning it for less than 24hrs?
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:52 AM   #75
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
I wonder how they expect to become a staple for education if students, like myself are finding so many snags after owning it for less than 24hrs?
Easy; Apple expects the world to conform to their platform. Blackboard is the one out of step; not Apple.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote