Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-05-2011, 03:19 PM   #46
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Or maybe some Kindle owners really don't care about other formats, as they are happy with the Amazon Store as it is. And, some iPad owners really don't care about Flash or miss it at all, despite what you might believe or find funny about either group. But I realize this might be difficult for you to understand.
I own both kindles and iOS devices and I for one certainly couldn't care less about flash or epub. besides, anyone with just a little bit of tech know-how will understand the work-a-rounds.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:00 PM   #47
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Or maybe some Kindle owners really don't care about other formats, as they are happy with the Amazon Store as it is. And, some iPad owners really don't care about Flash or miss it at all, despite what you might believe or find funny about either group. But I realize this might be difficult for you to understand.
bowsd is not exactly what you could call a fair observer, since anything that has not been produced by B&N cannot be good in his eyes.

I own an ipad and do not care for Flash. My husband does not own an ipad, does not want to, and still does not care for Flash. We both can buy in our selected online shops. Duh.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2011, 04:01 PM   #48
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
I own both kindles and iOS devices and I for one certainly couldn't care less about flash or epub. besides, anyone with just a little bit of tech know-how will understand the work-a-rounds.
my thougths exactly!
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:21 PM   #49
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Flash is one thing where i agree with apple.

ePub on this other hand, is a must have for my reader. Yes, i can understand the work aroud, but I don't want to. I want things that "just work". I want to read, that's all.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:28 PM   #50
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
I want things that "just work". I want to read, that's all.
That's exactly why so many people have bought Kindles, or use Kindle App on iPad and buy books from Amazon<shrug>
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2011, 06:23 PM   #51
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
What is the work-a-round for watching free Hulu on an iPad directly, i.e. not through connecting via VPN through another device? In case you don't want to spend a monthly fee for Hulu Plus?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:48 PM   #52
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
What is the work-a-round for watching free Hulu on an iPad directly, i.e. not through connecting via VPN through another device? In case you don't want to spend a monthly fee for Hulu Plus?
Not really caring about Hulu, I couldn't really say.
I can tell you that if Hulu blocks you from viewing on an ipad, it's not really a limitation of the ipad itself.
Flash will work using the skyfire app.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:00 PM   #53
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
A netbook
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:21 PM   #54
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not really caring about Hulu, I couldn't really say.
I can tell you that if Hulu blocks you from viewing on an ipad, it's not really a limitation of the ipad itself.
Flash will work using the skyfire app.
Hulu doesn't work with Skyfire, as do quite a lot of other sites, unfortunately. And Skyfire always takes time for converting everything; so it is not ideal. A lot better than no flash, of course.

But the whole thing really is the iPad's problem. Because I can watch the free version of Hulu on my phone right now. And it is also possible to do that in WebOS.

Last edited by HansTWN; 03-05-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #55
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Hulu doesn't work with Skyfire, as do quite a lot of other sites, unfortunately. And Skyfire always takes time for converting everything; so it is not ideal. A lot better than no flash, of course.

But the whole thing really is the iPad's problem. Because I can watch the free version of Hulu on my phone right now. And it is also possible to do that in WebOS.
Actually it isn't just the iPad's "problem", it is Hulu's intention.

Free Hulu is officially blocked on mobile devices-Flash has nothing to do with it. I realize people have found creative ways to hack around this limitation, but let's not pretend this is something Hulu is promoting-they would rather that Android and iOS users buy Hulu Plus on mobile. http://blog.hulu.com/2011/01/06/hulu...n-vizio-hdtvs/

But people will always try to find a way to get something for free if they want it badly enough
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:50 PM   #56
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
I know i guess I do find it difficult to understand why you wouldn't want to be able to surf the internet and use ALL websites and all it functionalilty with as much ease as you would your desktop or laptop without any interrpuptions or work arounds or blank screens

and I guess I do also find it odd to not want to be able to buy books from multiple websites to take advantage of sales, deals and promotions for across the web and the abilitly to check out library books.

Yeah I know I just can't understand

but i guess if that is what Steve O and Jeffy told you you should like and want, then I guess who am I to agrue.

Last edited by boswd; 03-06-2011 at 12:52 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:12 PM   #57
bZkindle
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
I know i guess I do find it difficult to understand why you wouldn't want to be able to surf the internet and use ALL websites and all it functionalilty with as much ease as you would your desktop or laptop without any interrpuptions or work arounds or blank screens

and I guess I do also find it odd to want to be able to buy books from multiple websites to take advantage of sales, deals and promotions for across the web and the abilitly to check out library books.

Yeah I know I just can't understand

but i guess if that is what Steve O and Jeffy told you you should like and want, then I guess who am I to agrue.
no no! steve O is the one who told me to electocute my testicles.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:33 PM   #58
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Actually it isn't just the iPad's "problem", it is Hulu's intention.

Free Hulu is officially blocked on mobile devices-Flash has nothing to do with it. I realize people have found creative ways to hack around this limitation, but let's not pretend this is something Hulu is promoting-they would rather that Android and iOS users buy Hulu Plus on mobile. http://blog.hulu.com/2011/01/06/hulu...n-vizio-hdtvs/

But people will always try to find a way to get something for free if they want it badly enough
True enough Hulu wants to make extra money this way -- but it is the iPad's lack of native flash support that makes it impossible to circumvent Hulu's restrictions except for streaming through a computer. Or rather, I was just asking if anyone has found/heard off a way.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:55 PM   #59
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
I was lucky enough to get a good try-out on an Ipad when they first came out, and although it is a really beautiful piece of tech, I couldn't really see it being a whole lot of practical use. I'm not really crazy about the way Apple locks you down into their sales world, but even leaving this aside, it is still a very small capacity device with a limited amount of power. The apps look good but most are just useless for any real work. Great for PDFs and this would be a big value for people who had to look up catalogs, legal stuff, but for most jobs you still need computer.
I am far too busy to spend all day watching movies or You Tube clips so that function is probably lost on me, along with a lost of gaming so I am probably just not the core market for this device. But hate it? No, it looks great and would probably own one if I had tons of money to spend.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:05 PM   #60
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
many online shopping site use flash and java scripts as well as many video's from with websites. I think if you had a flash tablet and an ipad and scoured the internet going to mulitple websites using both in a test you'll find out exactly what your are missing.

i always find it funny how iPad owners are with Flash as the same as kindle owners are with ePub. it's the whole " Who needs it" sorto of poo poo it when in fact Flash and ePub would be welcomed with open arms on the respective devices but since it's a feature you don't have the instictive defense mechanism always kicks in. ( I don't need it)
I thought i was pretty clear in my post that i had no idea what i was missing, as i was yet to miss anything when browsing so far.
Nothing to do with defensive or whatever else, i just literally have no idea what the fuss is about. I guess i'm just lucky that the websites i frequent aren't completely flash reliant.

But please, continue with the apple bashing bandwagon thing you've got going on...
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote