Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-28-2019, 06:38 AM   #46
celinego
Enthusiast
celinego began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 7; Kindle Fire HD10; iPhone5s; Windows 10 HP Pavilion; Nexus 7
[/QUOTE=JSWolf;3908876]If you don't care to listen and try what we say, then hy should we try to help you?[/QUOTE]

Ouch! If I don't care to listen? I have listened, tried and responded to everything suggested, including telling you several times that I CAN email a RAR/Zip file via my webmail/emClient and it arrives (to my webmail/emClient). And that I can't send a RAR/ZIP file OUT from Calibre because it automatically wants to convert all files to mobi before sending, and if I decline this, it simply cancels the send. So the last time you asked me that, I replied nope, sent mobi files, because I assumed you'd already read what I'd said about sending RAR/ZIP.

[/QUOTE] I've emailed some eBooks to a friend via Gmail and they did not work. When I used ZIP or RAR to send, they sent no problem.[/QUOTE]

Well, mine is working with my gmail. I've sent mobi files to my own kindle and three different friends' kindles, from Calibre, via gmail, and all have arrived on their kindles. I did have to remind them though to add my gmail address to their PDOCS safe sender list on their Amazon account first though.

[/QUOTE] So just try it. You ISP is not going to make it so eBooks are allowed to be sent. Now if you sent the ZIP or RAR file and that failed, then I would go to your ISP and say there is a problem. But for now, there is no proble that they will fix.
.[/QUOTE]

I have tried it and reported back on it. My ISP have been allowing me to send ebooks for 3 years till a fortnight ago. I also said when I first contacted my ISP and they were looking into it. And that I'd called them back for an update and was told there was a problem with the server which they're trying to fix.

So where have I not listened? I'm very grateful for all suggestions and DO try them all, including uploading logs ... and some of my own including reinstalls of emClient, even changing it from POP3 to IMAP and back again, using different outgoing ports, different security checks etc, because I want the problem fixed. For now, it's fixed using gmail but this is slower than via my ISP directly.

And to get the problem fixed, or at least try and pinpoint exactly what the problem is to fix, I DO listen and I DO try. I'm sorry if you think my best efforts aren't good enough. I'll understand if you don't want to help any further and thank you for your suggestions so far (all of which I HAVE tried, unsuccessfully).

Last edited by celinego; 10-28-2019 at 06:46 AM.
celinego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:01 AM   #47
celinego
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
A quick Google search came up the the following link: POP, IMAP, and SMTP settings for Outlook.com

Going to outlook.com and looking under Settings/Mail/Sync Email came up with the same settings. See the attached images.
Thank you David. Slightly different to my results (see file attached).
Also, I don't have Office365. My outlook.com emai is from my Microsoft account webmail rather than the Office Suite.

That said, I did login via outlook.com, found settings/mail and it does show me that pop3 is disabled and that it's now imap, with the same settings that you showed in your pic. So perhaps that why my outlook settings in calibre didn't work ... because I've thought it was pop3 and not included office365 as part of the address. I'll try those now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	outlooksets.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	174581  

Last edited by celinego; 10-28-2019 at 07:07 AM. Reason: more info
Old 10-28-2019, 01:36 PM   #48
celinego
Enthusiast

DAVID .....

Thanks again for the Outlook settings. I have tried them and they DO work so I can now also send mobi files out of Calibre using the outlook settings too. Have sent a couple to myself and friends via outlook and they all worked.

So now I can send via outlook or gmail, both of which work for me and none of them generated the email from Amazon asking me to Verify the send first. So it seems I only get that email when it's via my own ISP webmail and emClient but not when it's via Calibre when I don't get the email or the mobi file. Which again points to my ISP being the problem.

But at least now I can successfully resume sending the files to my book group via Calibre (albeit using gmail and outlook) until my ISP sort their server issue. Thanks again.
Old 10-28-2019, 02:59 PM   #49
celinego
Enthusiast

UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE3

Just had a breakthrough! Although my ISP have not contacted me yet, having configured Calibre to send via gmail and outlook successfully, I thought I'd go back and try my ISP configuration again.

It wouldn't work on their advised smtp setting of mail.btinternet.com (which is the same as their incoming server and which it was at and worked prior to 2 weeks ago). I changed that bit only to smtp.binternet.com AND also changed to the same in my emClient ..... (still on port 25 for both though) .... sent a Test email, which came through WITHOUT me having to run the Diagnostics tab on my emClient to get the Test Email.

AND I have just sent myself and a friend a mobi file via those ISP settings too! Several times! Going through my ISP does still generate the Verify email from Amazon before the book is actually received onto the device though.

So, either my ISP changed from incoming mail.btinternet.com to smtp.btinternet.com (which it actually was before a year or so ago) and haven't told anyone

OR

they've temporarily switched the server to smtp.btinternet.com because it wasn't working via their advised mail.btinternet.com setting

It'll be interesting to see what they have to say.

Furthermore, it now leaves me with the following options via Calibre:
1. Send via my ISP but everyone I send to will receive a Verify email from Amazon and will have to click Verify within in within 48hrs of generation to actually get the file onto their kindle (otherwise, they won't and they'll have to tell me so I can re-send it)

2. Send via gmail and book arrives without having an Amazon email to verify first (in which case I'll have to tell all my group members and friends to add my gmail address to their Personal Doc Settings/Safe Sender

3. Same as 2 but with my outlook.com address.

So I will also be able to question my ISP and Amazon on why the Amazon verify email is required when a file is sent out via my ISP but not via gmail or outlook.
AND
Why the Amazon email only allows a 48hr window in which to respond or it blocks it from the device it was sent to

I'll update again if anything changes again.
Old 10-28-2019, 03:39 PM   #50
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Incoming servers CAN be different than OUTGOING servers.
You want the OUTGOING server.

the server name varies by ISP
My Incoming is pop.myisp
My outgoing is mail.myisp
I had one that was smtpauth.myotherisp
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 05:11 PM   #51
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Good to hear it's working for you. Ain't it fun when they change settings without informing the end user?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 11:53 AM   #52
celinego
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Incoming servers CAN be different than OUTGOING servers.
You want the OUTGOING server.

the server name varies by ISP
My Incoming is pop.myisp
My outgoing is mail.myisp
I had one that was smtpauth.myotherisp
Thanks the ducks. Yes I know, because a while back my ISP changed the settings for my pop3 mail FROM incoming pop.btinternet.com and outgoing smtp.btinternet.com .... to BOTH being mail.btinternet.com.

The reason it stopped working is they've change pop3 outoing BACK to smtp.btinternet.com ... just didn't tell anyone .... or update the help all over the internet!!
Old 10-29-2019, 12:28 PM   #53
celinego
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Good to hear it's working for you. Ain't it fun when they change settings without informing the end user?
Indeed! Nor is it helped when, at the end of my call to renew my contract with them today, the guy said "oh, I see there's a complaint ticket open regarding your mail. Let me just put you on hold and call them for an update".

He came back and said I'm just putting you through to the email team for their update. And I got what I can only call a jobsworth who said the usual script (about if webmail works then it ain't their problem). He also told me there was no record of me calling on the 24th and being told by the lady then that she'd spoken to the email tech team and they said yes, there was a problem with the server still so all callbacks promised had been delayed until they fixed it but I would get one when it was fixed.

For half an hour he just kept repeating wasn't their problem ... even when I kept repeating go listen to the call on the 24th. So he then switched to "even if I do, she's just told you the wrong information because it's not something we would even look into"!!!! I also pointed out that the help online had the wrong settings on it. Asked him what the pop3 server settings were. He had to google it! So got the same WRONG ones as me. I also pointed out to him that he was giving me IMAP settings, not POP3 so he found the pop3 incoming but couldn't give me the outgoing setting and said he would have to ask someone else for it. When I asked to speak to his manager he put me on hold and came back and said he'd spoken to him and asked if I was a residential or business customer. I said residential. He said his manager suggested I give the Business section a ring!!!! I asked why and he said "because, even though it wasn't their problem either (if my webmail worked), they might be able to help me with the more advanced configuration my programs actually need"!!! I said I didn't need help with configuration, that I knew the configuration, but it wasn't working because they'd already admitted to having a problem with the server I had configured them all to. I asked again about three times if I could speak to his manager. He said he'd just tell me the same thing. So I said then I'd like to hear it from his manager and not him. So he told me to hold on .... then cut me off!! A 1hr 20 minute call!! (although 20 mins at the beginning was with someone else, renewing my contract). He'd also said during the call that he'd worked there for months and would know if there was a problem with email and he hadn't heard of any. I dared to say "maybe that's because you don't seem to listen very well"!!

He didn't call back so I rang again. Got the first agent who said there definitely WAS a record of my call on the 24th and I was due a callback. This guy also couldn't understand the technicalities of it so actually put me through to a member of the email support team. He was astounded when I told him of my previous convo with Mr Hung Up!

So HE talked to the email team and said they've just told me they fixed the problem about 20hrs ago (which is why it started working for me again about 5.15pm yesterday). He also confirmed there was a record of my call on 24th, said he was going to listen to it and send it to Mr Hung Up's manager and get him to listen to it too. And this guy also said, yes sorry, whether your webmail worked or not, if it's a problem with our server, which there was, it IS our problem to help you with it. We have fixed it by switching back to smtp as outoing so that will now be a permanent setting. I told him they need to update their help and he googled it and agreed yes, we do cos they're wrong on there!

I also mentioned the Amazon verification email that is ONLY generated if sending book files via them (it not gmail, not outlook). He said he personally wasn't aware of it but would also raise that with the team because that would indicate some sort of link or agreement with Amazon if it only generated via their servers. Also told him Amazon are also working on it for me and will be pleased to hear at the ebook files are arriving on designated devices (but not without the Amazon email being verified first).

So, progress again. Now the only problem left is if I have to send multiple book files. I, or the designated recipient, will get an Amazon email for each file, which they have to verify within 48hrs otherwise they don't get the file. Also that the email says if they don't want to have to verify in future, to edit their device's email address, which of course I've done several times in testing, but each time it STILL generates the email.

Anyone else experiencing this email when sending a book file to their kindle?

Last edited by celinego; 10-29-2019 at 12:35 PM.