Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-20-2018, 01:42 AM   #1
jlemonde
Enthusiast
jlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Add library books onto a e-reader device using Linux? (bypass Adobe Digital Editions)

I have tried to install Adobe Digital Editions through wine, but was unsuccessful due to a compatibility issue with Microsoft's .NET framework.

However, I was able to install the Kobo Desktop software through wine, but it does not seem to recognise the Kobo device when it is plugged in through USB; nevertheless I don't think it is the right software to do so anyway.

I guess Calibre is not going to do that neither, even if my device has been authorised by Adobe Digital Editions (installed on another computer).

Can you think of a solution? Are there other ways? (Or have you successfully installed ADE in linux?)
jlemonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:55 AM   #2
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
If you have a recent Kobo device, and your library uses Overdrive, you can download books directly onto the device, without using ADE.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2018, 06:01 AM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
These are just guesses ...

Try cloudLibrary (the desktop version).
Try installing an Android development environment and an app that supports the Adobe DRM
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:26 AM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
I use Linux, but I don't have ADE installed. (I have a Windows partition on a laptop that I use when ADE is necessary, almost never since the Tolino and my Sony devices have ADE built-in.) But I do know that ADE can be made to work under Wine, though I think you have to use version 2.01.

Here's a "howto" website for installing ADE under Wine. (This information is available -- somewhere -- on these forums but this is the first link that came up when I did a Google search.)

https://patdavid.net/2018/05/install...nux-with-wine/

Others (those who've got ADE working under Linux) should be able to give more and better help here. But it can be done. (I see the article links a Mobileread Wiki.)

Last edited by rcentros; 10-20-2018 at 07:30 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:33 PM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlemonde View Post
Can you think of a solution? Are there other ways?
As Murray mentioned, on your Clara HD you can borrow from Overdrive directly without having to plug into a computer at all. Just make sure your firmware is updated as it was added just recently.

Here are some instructions from OverDrive's website: How to use OverDrive on your Kobo ereader

I don't borrow books from the library, but I'm happy to see Kobo rolling it out on all their newer readers.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 10-21-2018 at 01:38 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2018, 10:53 AM   #6
raintr33
raintr33 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Touch, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Aura HD, Boox Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
As Murray mentioned, on your Clara HD you can borrow from Overdrive directly without having to plug into a computer at all. Just make sure your firmware is updated as it was added just recently.

Here are some instructions from OverDrive's website: How to use OverDrive on your Kobo ereader

I don't borrow books from the library, but I'm happy to see Kobo rolling it out on all their newer readers.
Hi Zod and Murray,
I had been reading and re-reading the news about the new Overdrive functionality on Kobo, but it seems to me:
1) you can only borrow books that exists in Kobo.
2) Only libraries in a few countries are supported.
I wish I was totally wrong but the Overdrive support in Kobo looks limited and does not work like a Overdrive apps in Android or IOS devices.

Can anyone help to clarify if this is the case?
Would I be able to use the Kobo Overdrive to borrow books in non-supported countries?
raintr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 02:17 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raintr33 View Post
Would I be able to use the Kobo Overdrive to borrow books in non-supported countries?
I don't have a Kobo model that supports Overdrive, so this is "off the cuff."

I'm guessing you live in a country where Overdrive on the Kobo is not supported? If so, I don't think there's any Overdrive support on the Kobo (limited or otherwise).

If you do live in a country that supports Overdrive (and have one of the supported Kobo models) then it's just a matter of logging into your library – the books available in the library will show up in your Kobo Store for free borrowing. (At least that's the way I think it works.)

Hopefully someone with experience (who owns one of these Kobos and knows the facts) can give you better help.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:00 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
If you do live in a country that supports Overdrive (and have one of the supported Kobo models) then it's just a matter of logging into your library – the books available in the library will show up in your Kobo Store for free borrowing. (At least that's the way I think it works.).
One nit is that the book in the Kobo store and in the library catalog have to be the same version (ISBN matches) for it to be available. I've had this happen a couple of times when I've borrowed a book on the library website. Back to ADE and manual labour if so.

Select search with OverDrive, enter your search term and you will see books that are available either with Borrow or Place a hold. With my library, I have automatic borrow when a hold becomes available so I'll see the book on my Kobo after the next sync.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 12:14 PM   #9
raintr33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
One nit is that the book in the Kobo store and in the library catalog have to be the same version (ISBN matches) for it to be available. I've had this happen a couple of times when I've borrowed a book on the library website. Back to ADE and manual labour if so.

Select search with OverDrive, enter your search term and you will see books that are available either with Borrow or Place a hold. With my library, I have automatic borrow when a hold becomes available so I'll see the book on my Kobo after the next sync.
Sigh, I have given up hoping for the day when I can download a Overdrive book using the Kobo browser from the Overdrive website which the Sony T1 was able to do many many years ago.

I have set my sight on the new Onyx Boox Nova device, which should be able to restore my easy access to Overdrive.

Goodbye, kobo...
Old 11-02-2018, 01:18 PM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Sigh, I have given up hoping for the day when I can download a Overdrive book using the Kobo browser from the Overdrive website which the Sony T1 was able to do many many years ago.

I have set my sight on the new Onyx Boox Nova device, which should be able to restore my easy access to Overdrive.

Goodbye, kobo...
I don't use Overdrive. (For that matter, I don't buy my books from Kobo). But the newer Kobos that allow for direct Overdrive access seems like a much easier solution for the majority of readers than having to access a browser on e-ink to download.

Sure, the ISBN's have to match. But how often would that not be the case. I honestly can't say, but I would bet it is the exception, rather than the rule.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:18 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Goodbye, kobo...
On the Kobo device, you don't use the browser -- unless you are a masochist, using a web browser on an eInk device is not an enjoyable experience. Instead you go into search, select OverDrive and any book that are available for on-device borrowing will show up as Borrow or Place a hold. As usual, you can search for the book you want.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:20 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Basically, you can't borrow from a non-supported country. If you are in a non-supported country, you can change your country at Kobo and then configure to borrow from a library in a supported country (the person who originally did this procedure is living in Europe but borrows from the Free Library of Philadelphia located in the USA).
Old 11-02-2018, 08:03 PM   #13
raintr33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Basically, you can't borrow from a non-supported country. If you are in a non-supported country, you can change your country at Kobo and then configure to borrow from a library in a supported country (the person who originally did this procedure is living in Europe but borrows from the Free Library of Philadelphia located in the USA).
Hi David,.

Thanks for clarifying how the Overdrive works in Kobo.
It's unfortunate the Overdrive implementation by Kobo has multiple restrictions, I guess its to avoid adding ADE in their ereader which was what the Sony devices had.

Cheers
Old 11-02-2018, 09:21 PM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Hi David,.

Thanks for clarifying how the Overdrive works in Kobo.
It's unfortunate the Overdrive implementation by Kobo has multiple restrictions, I guess its to avoid adding ADE in their ereader which was what the Sony devices had.

Cheers
The Tolinos work like the Sony T1 did (and the T2 and T3 still do) for books borrowed from Overdrive. You can still download books via the browser, and the Tolino device (itself) will "certify" (whatever it's called) and open the book since it has ADE built-in. And the Tolino Shine 3 is just another Kobo Clara HD (well the hardware is, software is obviously Tolino). (Logging in to Overdrive via the Tolino browser takes patience, however.)

Last edited by rcentros; 11-02-2018 at 09:24 PM.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:22 AM   #15
raintr33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
The Tolinos work like the Sony T1 did (and the T2 and T3 still do) for books borrowed from Overdrive. You can still download books via the browser, and the Tolino device (itself) will "certify" (whatever it's called) and open the book since it has ADE built-in. And the Tolino Shine 3 is just another Kobo Clara HD (well the hardware is, software is obviously Tolino). (Logging in to Overdrive via the Tolino browser takes patience, however.)
I found out about Tolino Shine 3 recently but I had been unable to escape the many attractions of Boox Nova. The possibilities are endless with a Android device even though it would most likely end up distracting me from reading...