Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-02-2018, 06:42 PM   #1
Triumph65
Triumph65 began at the beginning.

Device: Iphone
Suspense/Spy/Thriller Series Recommendations?

I like reading & listening to suspense, spy & thriller series.

If that’s what you would call these:

David Baldacci:
- Amos Decker series
- John Puller series
- Will Robie series
Brad Thor:
- Scott Harvath series
Vince Flynn:
- Mitch Rapp series

Any other recommendations in this genre. I am happy to expand my horizons.

Thanks for any ideas.
Triumph65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:06 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I would definitely add the following authors:

Mark Greaney
Daniel Silva
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2018, 07:23 PM   #3
Triumph65

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
I would definitely add the following authors:

Mark Greaney
Daniel Silva
Thank You!!!
Old 10-02-2018, 08:03 PM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
There are a ton of older spy/thriller authors out there.

Tom Clancy - Hunt for Red October was his first and one of his best

Fredrick Forsyth - Day of the Jackal was his most famous, though I also liked The Odessa Files and Dogs of War

Alistair MacLean - The Guns of Navarone, Where Eagles Dare and Ice Station Zebra are his best known, but he wrote a bunch.

Barry Eisler is a more recent author that I like. He wrote the Rain series.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:20 PM   #5
Triumph65

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
There are a ton of older spy/thriller authors out there.

Tom Clancy - Hunt for Red October was his first and one of his best

Fredrick Forsyth - Day of the Jackal was his most famous, though I also liked The Odessa Files and Dogs of War

Alistair MacLean - The Guns of Navarone, Where Eagles Dare and Ice Station Zebra are his best known, but he wrote a bunch.

Barry Eisler is a more recent author that I like. He wrote the Rain series.
Thanks for the tips. I actually listened to all the Barry Eisler Rain series and loved them. He did the reading for all the audio books.

I’ll check out the others
Advert
Old 10-02-2018, 09:35 PM   #6
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Donald Hamilton's Matt Helm series.
The Shane Scully series by Stephen J. Cannell.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:39 PM   #7
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
The President is Missing by James Patterson and Bill Clinton is a super good book and the audiobook is done by Dennis Quaid and its top quality
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:58 PM   #8
Kiwisaurus
Member Retired
Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes.

Kiwisaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:34 PM   #9
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
British author Desmond Bagley.

Running Blind
The Freedom Trap

And one for Vulcanologists:

Hammond Innes: The Angry Mountain, 1950

In 1944 Innes was an anti-aircraft gunner at a temporary allied air base just south of Vesuvius when it erupted last, and saw it all close up. He used this experience for a novel just after WW2, with the goodies and the baddy trapped in a slowly reducing enclave between two converging lava streams.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:26 PM   #10
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I see some great suggestions. I’ll add Robert Ludlum (any, but you probably heard of his Bourne series), Brett Battles’ “Quinn” series, Stephen Hunter’s “Swagger” series (excepting maybe The 47th Samurai), and Eric Van Lustbader’s “Ninja” series.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:14 AM   #11
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Another good series is Mick Herron's Slow Horses books about the intelligence agents at Slough House in London. They've all been sent here because they've screwed up somehow and are assigned to tedious, donkey work and hope to get a chance to possibly redeem themselves.

http://mickherron.com/novels/slow-horses.html
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:10 PM   #12
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
Another series I would put in this category is "Sigma Force" by James Rollins. It features lots of fast-paced action!
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 04:28 AM   #13
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Arnaldur Indriðason is better known for crime fiction, but his Operation Napoleon is the best thriller I've read recently.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:30 PM   #14
McGonigle
Connoisseur
McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad 2018,
I recommend Adam Hall's Quiller series. 19 books about a secret service agent, uniquely told from that agent's perspective, directly to the reader. All books are immensely well crafted, told in wonderful prose, and full of memorable scenes and characters.

Also on my list is the books of Craig Thomas, with recurring characters; Spy-master Aubrey, agents Gant and Hyde, and the appearances of some real life people like Yuri Andropov. Definitely worth checking out.
McGonigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:21 AM   #15
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I've been slowly going through Ian Fleming's James Bond books. They are dated, but I'm surprised at how much I'm still enjoying them. I didn't appreciate how good a writer Fleming was when I read them 35 years ago. Bonus points for being in the public domain in Canada, at least until the USMCA kicks in.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote