Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-11-2017, 11:54 AM   #1
bhyde
bhyde is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo Aura ONE
Kobo Price Match - does it work?

I have been trying to get the kobo price match on a book I bought, and I seem to be getting the run round. I've never tried this before, so I'm curious how it works out for other folks.

My case seems very simple to me. I bought the book, notice it's cheaper on Google Play. Submit my claim. So far they have claimed it's not cheaper; but it is and I can see that from various perspectives. So I send them a screen shot. They then claim it's a promotion and hence not covered under the "combination promotions" clause. But I certainly don't see anything that would suggest this is a either a promotion or combination promotion. It's frustrating and I get the impression they aren't actually reading my questions but rather just copy pasting from some canned but irrelevant set of responses.

Hence my puzzlement.

So, how's it work for other folks?
bhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:59 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moved out of the General Discussion Forum, which is for "General discussions about e-book reading not specific to a device, software or format."

Moved to the Kobo Forum, which is for........

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2017, 04:54 PM   #3
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
I used Kobo Price Match all the time, and they've ALWAYS come through with the store credit. Since books are generally cheaper on Google Books, I nearly always get a Price Match when I buy from Kobo.

Could you perhaps post the URL of the book on Google for us to look at and see if we agree with you or with Kobo?
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:24 PM   #4
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Have used Kobo Price Match two or three times when I noticed the book was cheaper on Amazon. Never had a problem.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:00 PM   #5
CmplxAdSys
Enthusiast
CmplxAdSys began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
I've used it several times, and never had an issue. You have to be careful with the fine print, though - for the price match to be valid, Kobo has to have the same ISBN as the book you found at another source for a lower price. This often means that Amazon prices don't apply, since Amazon doesn't use ISBN, but ASIN. You can also sometimes find a PDF for cheaper, but that won't apply since Kobo stocks ePubs only nowadays.

I usually use Google Books to find a lower price, but then buy it through Kobo. I copy-paste the ISBN from Google Books to Kobo's site and search based on that just to confirm that the ISBN is the same before I buy it.
CmplxAdSys is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2017, 06:25 PM   #6
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I got a price match today from Kobo. Yesterday, I bought a book for $4.99 that was a Kindle Daily Deal for 99 cents. Today, they refunded me $4.10 to bring the final price to 89 cents.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:27 PM   #7
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Moved out of the General Discussion Forum, which is for "General discussions about e-book reading not specific to a device, software or format."

Moved to the Kobo Forum, which is for........

Don
(Moderator)
I once again want to protest the moving of threads about the Kobo store or Kobo customer service to the Kobo device forum. You don't move threads about Amazon to the Kindle forum. The Kobo store is device agnostic - these threads do not belong in the device forums.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:52 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How is the question asked not a general question?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:35 PM   #9
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How is the question asked not a general question?
Because it concerns only Kobo.

Now as to the previous poster, I have seen many Amazon and Kindle threads be moved to either Kindle, Kindle Fire, Kindle Dev or in the case of the Echo all the way down to the lounge.

As to the OP, I hope the price difference is worth the trouble.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:39 PM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
I once again want to protest the moving of threads about the Kobo store or Kobo customer service to the Kobo device forum. You don't move threads about Amazon to the Kindle forum. The Kobo store is device agnostic - these threads do not belong in the device forums.
Oh yes they do. Seen it dozens of times.

Thanks for the reminder that I need to report two threads in the general discussion forum.
One to go here and one to go to Kindle.

Oh off topic, you might want to change your website since girlebooks is no longer working. I saw your available at girlebooks.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 10-11-2017 at 08:41 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:21 PM   #11
khalleron
Kate

Post deleted.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:29 PM   #12
khalleron
Kate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Because it concerns only Kobo.

Now as to the previous poster, I have seen many Amazon and Kindle threads be moved to either Kindle, Kindle Fire, Kindle Dev or in the case of the Echo all the way down to the lounge.

As to the OP, I hope the price difference is worth the trouble.
On the first two pages of General discussions, there are 4 threads regarding Amazon and 2 regarding B&N - on the principle that the store is the same thing as the device, those threads should also be moved.

Better move all the threads about Google to the Android devices thread, too.

It's just silly. The STORE is not the device.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:57 PM   #13
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
On the first two pages of General discussions, there are 4 threads regarding Amazon and 2 regarding B&N - on the principle that the store is the same thing as the device, those threads should also be moved.

Better move all the threads about Google to the Android devices thread, too.

It's just silly. The STORE is not the device.
I kind of wish we had a Google forum.

Well now, does Kobo sell anything but devices and ebooks for said devices?
That may be part of the reason.
Also moving this particular thread would get the OP better answers.

Now off topic, your book cover is gorgeous.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:27 AM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I kind of wish we had a Google forum.

Well now, does Kobo sell anything but devices and ebooks for said devices?
That may be part of the reason.
Also moving this particular thread would get the OP better answers.
Kobo sells ereaders and ebooks. Those ebooks can be downloaded and read on any device or app that can read epubs. And people here do buy ebooks from Kobo that do not have a Kobo device or use the Kobo apps.

Moving the thread where would get the OP better answers? If you were suggesting the "Deals, Freebies, and Resources" forum, I might agree. The OP is asking about a "deal". But, any mention of the Kobo store gets pushed here. Unlike any equivalent mention of the Amazon book store which get left wherever it is mentioned.

To the OP: Sorry for the sidetracking. As others have said, people are claiming and getting something from Kobo. There has been some discussion in the forum I mentioned above, especially in the Kobo coupons thread. The main complaint I can think of has been that it can take a few days, but most seem to get the desired result.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:54 AM   #15
bhyde
bhyde is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
I used Kobo Price Match all the time, and they've ALWAYS come through with the store credit. Since books are generally cheaper on Google Books, I nearly always get a Price Match when I buy from Kobo.

Could you perhaps post the URL of the book on Google for us to look at and see if we agree with you or with Kobo?
I'm delighted to hear the price match works well for folks.

Here the particulars for the book:

9780190217037 is the #

https://www.google.com/search?q=9780...#wptab=BookGet
bhyde is offline   Reply With Quote