Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-04-2016, 06:21 PM   #16
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You don't actually need a program to help with firmware updates. You can use the following website to check for a new firmware version, download it, and install it.

http://kobofw.herokuapp.com/
I have made my own version of this tool. http://geek1011.github.io/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:52 PM   #17
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
delete post
What do you mean "delete post"?
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2016, 08:53 PM   #18
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Normally Jon means he said something and then changed his mind. He hopes a moderator might delete this post for him.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:39 AM   #19
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
What is not working about it? I can probably fix it. I'm also thinking of rewriting it in Python. I'm just waiting for an answer to: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3...abel-in-python
I'll be honest: I haven't tried it yet. But my experience is that usb device detection is usually different in FreeBSD then in Linux, and so software that tries to find a device usually needs to be tweaked.

I don't actually know what would need to be changed; finding out was going to be part of the fun.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:42 AM   #20
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
I'll be honest: I haven't tried it yet. But my experience is that usb device detection is usually different in FreeBSD then in Linux, and so software that tries to find a device usually needs to be tweaked.

I don't actually know what would need to be changed; finding out was going to be part of the fun.
I think it may just work as the script just checks the mount point rather than device name.
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2016, 03:47 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
What do you mean "delete post"?
MR has no delete option in the forum for all users. So in order to remove the text in a post I want to delete, I put in delete post to mean I deleted the post that was there. It's not the best solution, but it works.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:44 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have made my own version of this tool. http://geek1011.github.io/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html
It's broken. It only shows firmware updates for the Aura One and the Aura Edition 2. There are now firmware updates for most of the older devices.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:40 AM   #23
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
It's broken. It only shows firmware updates for the Aura One and the Aura Edition 2. There are now firmware updates for most of the older devices.
No, it is using an affiliate and/or coming from an IP address to which Kobo has not yet released the update.

Jon: You have been here long enough to know this. Yet you continuously made statements like this. Please think before you post.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:51 AM   #24
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
No, it is using an affiliate and/or coming from an IP address to which Kobo has not yet released the update.

Jon: You have been here long enough to know this. Yet you continuously made statements like this. Please think before you post.
But is it not expected to show some update file, even if it is not the hoped for? I just tried it, and for me it doesn't give any links to update files for any device. Or am I supposed to do more than just opening the linked page in the browser?

Last edited by tshering; 02-10-2017 at 05:57 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:06 AM   #25
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
But is it not expected to show some update file, even if it is not the hoped for? I just tried it, and for me it doesn't give any links to update files for any device.
When I tried it both now and when I replied to Jon, it has a download link for all devices. The details aren't updated at the same time, so maybe something timed out for you.

But, that's not how I interpret Jon's post. I'm pretty sure he was stating it was broken because it still shows links for 3.19.5761 for most of the devices.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:21 AM   #26
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
When I tried it both now and when I replied to Jon, it has a download link for all devices. The details aren't updated at the same time, so maybe something timed out for you.

But, that's not how I interpret Jon's post. I'm pretty sure he was stating it was broken because it still shows links for 3.19.5761 for most of the devices.
Just tried it with another browser (Windows explorer), and it works as expected. But on my outdated Opera browser, it shows in the colum "firmware version" only "connection error", and under firmware links only links to the calling page itself "http://geek1011.github.io/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html". So you are right, this is not what Jon was seeing.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:14 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Only the Aura One and the Aura Edition 2 show the new firmware. All the rest show 3.19.5761. I would expect to see new firmware for at least one older device. I have read of others getting the new firmware when syncing an H2O and an Aura HD.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:34 AM   #28
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Only the Aura One and the Aura Edition 2 show the new firmware. All the rest show 3.19.5761. I would expect to see new firmware for at least one older device. I have read of others getting the new firmware when syncing an H2O and an Aura HD.
Really? You haven't notice all the posts here for at least the last five years that Kobo does not release the firmware to everyone at the same time? That they release based on the affiliate and the IP address. And that it can take a month before everyone around the world will see the firmware update.

And just so you know:

The site makes no statement of the affiliate used, or the IP address used. Looking at the page code, it is using "Kobo" and "rakutenbooks" for the affiliate. Those are two of the later affiliates that get updates. And it is doing the check from your browser. Which means it is using your IP address. Or my IP address when I am visit the site. And based on past releases, that means I won't see the new firmware displayed on that page for three weeks.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:01 AM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

What affiliate does Kobo Utilities use when it checks for a new firmware? I'd like to keep tracks of these things to know what's what.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-10-2017 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:48 PM   #30
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
What affiliate does Kobo Utilities use when it checks for a new firmware? I'd like to keep tracks of these things to know what's what.
Based on what I have been saying, that should be easy to work out. But, in case the plugin can't find an affiliate on the device, or you choose the "Early adopter" option, it uses "whsmith".

Tags
firmware, kobo, update, upgrade