Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-17-2018, 09:37 PM   #8101
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Good for you. You are supposed to be left in the dark. It is part of the attraction of the series. There is plenty blood and gore in the series, but not necessarily too disgusting. Cannot compare to GoT as I neither read nor watched any of it. In Alera the interesting part is not so much the blood and gore, but the relationships, fear, and suspension. And politics, but not too boring.
The politics is what makes me think of GoT. So many factions.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 01:09 PM   #8102
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Furies of Calderon (Codex Alera; Book #1)

Just finished Chapter 37. Talk about overwhelming!

I am feeling pretty sure about some things and very curious about others.

Spoiler:
I think I know who's at the gate. I hope I'm right, but I have no idea how they'll be heard before an unwanted bloodbath ensues. My guess is that they'll send Tavi (and possibly Kitai) forward first, and, if that's the case I hope Bernard sees who it is before arrows fly.
If I'm wrong, then ... Damn! This is going to get ugly quickly!!

I'm curious to know If & how Isana and Odiana will get involved; and what will happen to Kord. (I don't remember the last time I disliked a character as much as I hate him!)

I'm usually, firmly against "insta-love," but the current romance pairings are compelling and can be fun if handled correctly.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:55 PM   #8103
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post

[..]
Without spoiling it any more, all I can say is that you are right. It is overwhelming. And the first book is only the beginning. I would say that Codex Alera feels like one book/story chopped up into pieces similiar to how Lord of the Rings was initially released in separate parts.

For me the urge to get right into the next book after finishing one was even stronger than in Dresden Files.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:40 PM   #8104
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool The Jim Butcher Files: Dresden . Codex Alera . Cinder Spires & More

Quote:

Spoiler:
I think I know who's at the gate. I hope I'm right, but I have no idea how they'll be heard before an unwanted bloodbath ensues. My guess is that they'll send Tavi (and possibly Kitai) forward first, and, if that's the case I hope Bernard sees who it is before arrows fly.
If I'm wrong, then ... Damn! This is going to get ugly quickly!!

I'm curious to know If & how Isana and Odiana will get involved; and what will happen to Kord. (I don't remember the last time I disliked a character as much as I hate him!)

I'm usually, firmly against "insta-love," but the current romance pairings are compelling and can be fun if handled correctly.
Quote:
Without spoiling it any more, all I can say is that you are right. It is overwhelming. And the first book is only the beginning. I would say that Codex Alera feels like one book/story chopped up into pieces similiar to how Lord of the Rings was initially released in separate parts.

For me the urge to get right into the next book after finishing one was even stronger than in Dresden Files.
It's been almost 10 years since I read this 6 book series (back to back) because of this I'm really unable to enter into the specifics of the current discussion or I would have already jumped into it. Sorry about that! I was so enthralled with the story that like I said before, I read them all at once with no other books intervening. Interestingly though I've never had the desire to read the series again! Whereas I've read The Dresden Files 4 (as it existed at the time) times. And I believe that I will do so again.

Last edited by alansplace; 10-20-2018 at 03:43 PM.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:23 PM   #8105
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
It's been almost 10 years since I read this 6 book series (back to back) because of this I'm really unable to enter into the specifics of the current discussion or I would have already jumped into it. Sorry about that! I was so enthralled with the story that like I said before, I read them all at once with no other books intervening. Interestingly though I've never had the desire to read the series again! Whereas I've read The Dresden Files 4 (as it existed at the time) times. And I believe that I will do so again.

I've only read the first three Dresden books twice, and the rest of the series once (minus Skin Games which I still haven't read). I think I'm just waiting to be sure that the other books will indeed follow. I've had this irrational fear that the series will abruptly come to an end, instead of our getting the 23 books initially planned.

As for Codex... I took a long break and I'm now reading chapter 40. Things are not yet going as I expected. And damn that Kord!! Like really?
Spoiler:
They're heading for round two of a war and he's still trying to lock women up for his sick pleasure!?!
I hope a Gargant falls on his head!!
Old 10-20-2018, 05:56 PM   #8106
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I hope a Gargant falls on his head!!
That would be really bad for the Gargant. I would not wish that for any big cow.

As far as Kord is concerned maybe he wishes a Gargant would fall on his head to end him.

In Alera no good deed goes unpunished.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:05 PM   #8107
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
That would be really bad for the Gargant. I would not wish that for any big cow.

As far as Kord is concerned maybe he wishes a Gargant would fall on his head to end him.

In Alera no good deed goes unpunished.
lol

I finished the book about an hour ago, and I really liked it. GR Reveiw

I want to start the next one tonight, but it's already late.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:54 AM   #8108
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
lol

I finished the book about an hour ago, and I really liked it. GR Reveiw

I want to start the next one tonight, but it's already late.
I like the review. Seldom do I manage to do something as nice without spoiling too much.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:16 AM   #8109
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
I like the review. Seldom do I manage to do something as nice without spoiling too much.
Thank you!
Old 10-21-2018, 02:19 PM   #8110
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
I wish Fox21 luck. How many seasons are planned? How to split up a book, and how many books in each season. The big problem is going to be where to put the episode breaks. Realistically one book per season is going to make it waaay too long for television. A film series based on an already planned out gigantic book series. Supernatural runs for 13 seasons, maybe adds 14. Bones was done after 12 seasons. And those two are exceptionally long running shows that had a underlying story arc. Now they want an even bigger one with Dresden Files? I don't know, like I said, I wish them luck but won't hold my breath.
IDK...I remember the SciFi series was much-anticipated, but I really wasn't wild over Blackthorne (sp?) as Harry. He seemed too fine, in terms of bone structure. Tall, sure, but I always envisioned Harry a bit more Reacher-like; larger, bigger-boned, rangier. And there was just something off about it, beyond the physicality. I really intensely disliked the actress that they cast to play the woman cop. (Sorry, brain-farting; haven't read a new Dresden in at least a year, it feels like...). INTENSELY disliked her, and haven't seen her in anything else that changed my mind on that.

Well...given the way that network TV is going...well, I'll stop there. Suffice to say I fully expect that the series will be utterly ruined.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:00 PM   #8111
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
IDK...I remember the SciFi series was much-anticipated, but I really wasn't wild over Blackthorne (sp?) as Harry. He seemed too fine, in terms of bone structure. Tall, sure, but I always envisioned Harry a bit more Reacher-like; larger, bigger-boned, rangier. And there was just something off about it, beyond the physicality. I really intensely disliked the actress that they cast to play the woman cop. (Sorry, brain-farting; haven't read a new Dresden in at least a year, it feels like...). INTENSELY disliked her, and haven't seen her in anything else that changed my mind on that.

Well...given the way that network TV is going...well, I'll stop there. Suffice to say I fully expect that the series will be utterly ruined.

Hitch
Not many active authors get a 2nd shot at TV. I have to think Butcher wouldn't be jumping back into it unless he's thoroughly convinced they can make it work this time. How they'll manage that is anybody's guess, but they should at least benefit from today's more flexible streaming models - I assume it will stream on Hulu, and may get some additional syndication interest...
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 02:15 PM   #8112
zebradude
Addict
zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See Signature
So I guess we have a new TV show?

Ps. This was posted on Reddit
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3fgvjx5maku11.png
Views:	187
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	167222  
zebradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:30 PM   #8113
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Contests, Cons, and Collectibles!

Old 11-06-2018, 11:15 PM   #8114
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Cold Days (The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher Fan Teaser)

Old 11-12-2018, 12:30 PM   #8115
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool “Ask me a question.” Kim Harrison

“Ask me a question.” Kim Harrison

Last edited by alansplace; 11-12-2018 at 04:28 PM.

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy