Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-20-2018, 04:57 PM   #736
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
Readeriq says it's $1.99 at Amazon US.

For your problem, the price can also be found under Kindle Edition near the center of the page.
I knew about the first one. Thanks for the information about the second one.

I mentioned that I couldn't readily find the price. That was my way of saying that I was too lazy and too tired to look it up . Thanks for doing what I failed to do.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:46 PM   #737
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Most Recent NIV Edition--99 Cents at ChristianBook.com.

If you want a copy of the 2011 revised edition of the New International Version, this might be the least expensive one that you can get right now. It's currently 99 cents at Christianbook.com.

It is marketed by Zondervan as the Lifehacks Bible: Practical Tools for Successful Spiritual Habits. You may not be interested in the additional, "Lifehacks" features of this special edition, but you will have the newest edition of the NIV.

The initial edition of the NIV was published in 1984. A revision in 2005 (complete Bible), called Today's New International Version, made several changes, most notably, perhaps, the inclusion of gender-neutral language. The edition was not particularly well received, and in 2011 a new edition was released. In some ways it was a step back toward the original, 1984 edtion, most notably in dropping the gender-inclusive language introduced with the TNIV.

The link.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:03 AM   #738
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

A Couple of Exceptionally Good Books for Exceptionally Good Prices, at ChristianBook.

I have vetted both of these, and they both have excellent ratings at the 2 or 3 places that I checked for each one (Christianbook, Amazon and/or GoodReads).

Both have a substantial number of pages.

I won't have to tell you what a great bargain that each is--you can see that for yourself. They've been sharply reduced in price.

1) Clout: Discover and Unleash Your God-Given Influence, by Jenni Catron. 99 cents. DRM Protected ePub.

2) Tongue Pierced: How the Words You Speak Transform the Life You Live, by Nelson Searcy. 79 cents. DRM Free ePub.

And if you have a little bit more money to spend, here's a third one that I recommend:

3) Wired That Way: The Comprehensive Personality Plan, by Marita Littauer; Florence Littauer. $2.39. DRM Protected ePub.

I've put my money where my keyboard is--I purchased all three tonight.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:19 PM   #739
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

FREE ePub and mobi of The Legacy of Luther, by R.C. Sproul and Stephen J. Nichols.

The 500th anniversary of the start of the Reformation Movement (the beginning date being considered the date, in 1517, that Martin Luther nailed his 95 theses on the door of the Wittenberg church) came and went in 2017. However, the observation of that anniversary seems to have continued on to a great degree.

Ligonier Ministries, an organization of the "Reformed" movement, is offering via Reformation Trust, its publishing arm, a free download of The Legacy of Luther. Reformation Trust say that they are doing this in honor of Reformation Week. The blurb:
In this volume, R.C. Sproul, Stephen J. Nichols, and thirteen other scholars and pastors examine his life, teaching and enduring influence. Meet Martin Luther, the mercurial Reformer who, out of love for the truth and the desire to bring it to light, set the world ablaze.

The download is 31 pages long. Ordinarily I consider 50 pages the minimum to be considered a "book," (vs a "booklet") and might not post information about it. However, you get both the ePub and mobi versions in the download--that's 62 pages, so I'll consider these booklets to meet my stringent requirements. .

I suppose that if you have read this far, you would like to know where to point your browser in order to download the two booklets. It's here. You'll have to surrender some personal information, but we're all used to that, aren't we?

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 10-23-2018 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:42 PM   #740
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Scott Hahn, scholar and Catholic apologist, presents The Fourth Cup: Unveiling the Mystery of the Last Supper and the Cross for $2.99.

This is a Great on Kindle book. So if you have any GoK credits, you'll see it under the 1-click button. You'll also gain 25% GoK credits for the purchase of this book.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:28 AM   #741
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Warren Wiersbe's Be Responsible study of First Kings is free. I didn't already have this one in Calibre, so it might not be a repeat.

B&N
Kobo
Amazon
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:05 PM   #742
gluejar
Ungluer-in-Chief
gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: all (Marvin)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
I've posted books from unglue.it before.

I'm still trying to figure out what the people who "unglue" books and run the website are actually doing. Here's how it appears to me now. In a nutshell, unglue.it appears to be the website of the Free Ebook Foundation, an organization that tries to make ebooks Open Access that are not currently Open Access. Practically speaking, that means to make ebooks free that are not currently free. It appears that all of the necessary expenses of accomplishing that are borne by donations under the crowdfunding model, or something similar to it. When a book becomes open access, they refer to it the book as being "unglued." Get it? *

The most recent book that has become unglued (therefore, again, free) is
Tales of Darkness and Light: Soso Tham’s The Old Days of the Khasis, by Soso Tham; Janet Hujon (translator).

Remember that Open Access books tend to be 1) esoteric, 2) scholarly, and 3) academic, probably in about that order. For those reasons, I'm throwing out of the window some of my criteria (e.g., minimum number of posts, ratings) for posting them. And, in case of this ebook, it was published just this year; there are no ratings at Amazon or GoodReads, and it is not even listed yet at GoodReads.

Here are a couple of descriptions of this most recently "unglued" book: Soso Tham was an Indian poet who worked at a time when English was slowly effacing the nuances of ancient Indian culture. Now, however, in Janet Hujon’s valuable translation, English is the very medium that enables Tham’s poetry to reach a wider audience. Hujon draws on parallels from the Romantic imagination and other sympathetic literary traditions of Myth to illuminate and contextualise Tham’s work for an English-speaking audience. This translation will contribute to giving Soso Tham the wider recognition he deserves as a poet, and more generally to introduce Western readers to the rich literary traditions of northeast India.—Dr Vayu Naidu, SOAS, University of London

Poet of landscape, myth and memory, Soso Tham paid rich and poignant tribute to his tribe in his masterpiece The Old Days of the Khasis. Janet Hujon’s vibrant new translation presents the English reader with Tham’s long poem, which keeps a rich cultural tradition of the Khasi people alive through its retelling of old narratives and acts as a cultural signpost for their literary identity. This book is essential reading for anyone with an interest in Indian literature and culture and in the interplay between oral traditions and written literary forms.
This edition includes:
• English translation
• Critical apparatus
• Embedded audio recordings of the original text

Recently, I have become very interested in the subject of orality, how oral traditions end up being written down, and how written forms are transmitted once that they are put in a written form. I am especially excited to see that to see in one of the descriptions that there are embedded audio recordings of the original text of this book (I hope that that applies to this "unglued" ebook, and not just to ones for sale).

One of the wonderful features of "unglued" ebooks, is that unglue.it always, in my experience with them, provide their books in mobi, ePub, and/or PDF formats. And that is the case with this ebook under discussion now.

In case you're interested, Amazon apparently doesn't sell a digital version of any kind of this book. However, you can get it in paperback for $19.95, or in hardback for $36.95!

Unglue.it always posts its most recent unglued book on its homepage.

* I'm one of those who doesn't get it. I ran two small used book businesses in the past, in which I wore the mantle of owner, manager, chief cook, and bottlewasher (i.e., I did it all). If someone talked about a book becoming "unglued," I would immediately think of it as a book that has been destroyed or damaged, and either needing to be thrown away or repaired. This organization seems to be doing almost the opposite of that.
Hi! I'm a co-founder of the Free Ebook Foundation, and I run Unglue.it.

The site does two sets of things.
1. We do crowdfunding campaigns for authors/publishers who want to make their ebooks free. In all, we've contributed to the "ungluing" of about 20 books.
2. We build a catalog of free and open licensed ebooks. This catalog is used by New York Public Library and the Digital Public Library of America. This catalog is now at 7,000 open licensed and 57,000 public domain ebooks.

Glad you like the "deal of the day" specials - they've slowed down because of recent major catalog augmentation, but they'll speed up soon.

The Foundation also runs "GITenberg" and the Free-Programming-Books repo on github.

Eric
gluejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:55 PM   #743
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

It's great to get authoritative answers to some of my questions.

Personally, I hope that you weigh in more often, especially with relevant and current information.

I might be wrong, but my instinct is that open access is only going to increase in the foreseeable future.

Since this is the "Christian Interest" subforum, I will add that books about that subject are also available free via open access. However, from what I've seen, that is not one of the major subjects represented.

Thanks.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 11-05-2018 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:39 AM   #744
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Ebook by Albert Mohler about Serving God in Different Stages of Your Life--FREE!

Get a free book, of some 91 pages I believe that it is, of the book Life in Four Stages. It is written by Albert Mohler.

Mohler is the current president of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary and an affiliated school, Boyce College (there seems to be a definite move by the Seminary to drop the denominational label, "Baptist," and for it to call itself, simply, the "Southern Seminary"). Mohler has written several other books, all of which, I believe, have been well received.

Here's the description for the book:

Human life inevitably progresses through four stages: the wonder of childhood, the energy of youth, the endurance of adulthood, and the glory of age. If each stage of life comes as a gift from God, then Christians must embark on the worthy task of thinking biblically about life’s progression. What are we to think of this? What would the Bible have us to understand about the distinctive features of these stages? The God of the universe fashioned each stage of life with precious glory. The Bible summons its readers to not only recognize the stages of life, but to live in them as God intended for his glory. In this new book, Albert Mohler explores these four stages and what it looks like to live for the glory of God in every stage of life.

You can get the free ebook at albertmohler.com/fourstages. It is available in PDF.

With this freebie is that you don't have to fill out a form, possibly do a "capcha" (sometimes more than once), go to your inbox, sometimes wait for the message to arrive, find the download link, click on it . . . . well, you know the hassle. You just simply give your name and email address, and you can then immediately download the ebook from the same page. Cool.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 11-06-2018 at 03:51 AM.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:10 AM   #745
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

This sounds like a weird book:

In Rules for Reformers, Douglas Wilson poaches the political craft of radical progressives and applies it to Christian efforts in the current culture war. The result is a spicy blend of combat manual and cultural manifesto. Rules for Reformers is a little bit proclamation of grace, a little bit Art of War, and a little bit analysis of past embarrassments and current cowardice, all mixed together with a bunch of advanced knife-fighting techniques. As motivating as it is provocative, Rules for Reformers is just plain good to read.
Thanks to Saul Alinsky's Rules for Radicals: A Practical Primer for Realistic Radicals -- a book well-beloved by Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, and many others -- for much of the shrewd advice, and for none of the worldview.

It's one that I might easily pass over, except for two things--it's got fantastic ratings (4.2 stars (11) at Amazon; 4.36 (142) at GoodReads. The free price "seals the deal."

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SNSG7AS.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 11-06-2018 at 05:50 AM.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:03 AM   #746
TrevorViking
Wizard
TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Another freebie at wipf and stock; The Hermeneutical Spirit.
https://wipfandstock.com/the-hermene...eid=8c26184096
TrevorViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 02:48 PM   #747
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorViking View Post
Not in the US that I can see.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:47 PM   #748
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Not in the US that I can see.

Dale
The book, yes. "Free", no. It lists at $31.20.
Which I'm sure is what Dale said; I'm just elaborating on what we see.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 04:59 PM   #749
TrevorViking
Wizard
TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
When you add it to your cart it becomes free. W&S does it like that every time iirc.
TrevorViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 06:18 PM   #750
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
When you add it to your cart it becomes free. W&S does it like that every time iirc.
Okay, I wrote a message and it disappeared. When I do that, the message has a penchant for showing up in duplicate. But, I'll try again . . . .

The Wipf and Stock ordering system is very unforgiving. Punch the wrong key just once, and you can spend a long time trying to get it straightened out. The last time that I tried to order one of their free books, I literally spent an hour and a half trying to straighten things out, and never did get the book! I wrote Wipf and told them that i was unsubscribing from their newsletter so that I would never, ever be tempted to order one of their freebies again. They haven't unsubscribed me.

Unless you want to be a daredevil, live dangerously, and throw all caution to the wind, I suggest that you read and follow the directions carefully. Before you do anything, check to see that you're doing the right thing. Then, check again. Like the old rule of carpenters says, "measure twice, and cut once."

I noticed that Kindle, at least, has the ebook for only $2.99. I'm going to pull the trigger on that one, and save some of what little sanity that I have left.

I'll save some of you some trouble: Christianbook doesn't have the ebook at all. Google Play has it, but you really don't want to know what price it is. I couldn't find it at Kobo.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 11-07-2018 at 07:14 PM.