Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-17-2022, 11:19 PM   #1
MikeJ024
MikeJ024 began at the beginning.

Device: FBReader/Android
Is there any way to use embedded fonts?

Hi, I'm new here & I would like to know the following: is there any way to use the embedded fonts when converting formats?
I.E. I create all starting e-book documents by scanning the book using Omnipage 18 & creating a .RTF document copy which I then format. I try to use a matching Font to the original book especially matching any chapter title fonts as close as possible. But when I add the book to Calibre & convert it to .epub or .mobi the fonts from word are all converted to Times New Roman (Ugh! which I hate). I know I can change the font family Calibre uses but I want to know if there is any way to use the actual fonts from the .RTF doucument when converting? please let me know.
MikeJ024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 12:31 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If you are using a recent edition of MS Word try saving the text as DOCX file and convert that, the built-in DOCX Conversion Input plugin is considerably more capable than the RTF equivalent - and it is actively maintained by the creator of Calibre.

See ==>> Format specific tips

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2022, 05:04 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
What BetterRed ^^^^^ writes.

Same applies to LibreOffice. Edit in odt format and do extra Save As in docx as the odt input plug-in isn't as good and won't be improved.
Don't convert on a different PC unless you know about embedding or copying fonts.

OpenOffice name is owned by Oracle, so that project is basically dead. All the main contributors moved to the LibreOffice fork.

I only use RTF as a last resort to import documents to LO Writer or MS Word, and then all the styles and links and headings need checked.

My odt with Save As to docx and then conversion to epub2 are all looking like the original. I then only use a checked epub2 as the source for all other conversions. Amazon KDP works best with epub2 upload anyway.

I only use PDF for upload to POD / paper publishing, though I have about 30 old scanned books as PDF unavailable even for money in any other format. Too much effort to OCR and proof unless I was publishing them.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 02:32 PM   #4
Moonbase59
Zealot
Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Tolino Vision 5, Tolino Tab 8"
Yup, it’s a shame that .odt isn’t held at the level of .docx (for Calibre). I (and many of my friends) ditched Windows in favour of Linux 10+ years ago, to happily never come back. So LibreOffice is the standard Office suite, of course. Many companies also use LO instead of the ever-changing MS Office, which often is not even backwards-compatible to its own documents.

Then again, maybe the sheer number (=market share) of MS Office users might have been the reason for that decision.

Took me a while to realize you’d have to save a LibreOffice Writer document in the ("foreign") .docx format instead of the native .odt to get full functionality.

Last edited by Moonbase59; 01-19-2022 at 06:16 AM.
Moonbase59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 02:22 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Save As also any time needing Calibre conversion! You still need the odt for full functionality of editing as opening a docx is a conversion! You don't 100% have what you exported with the Save As.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2022, 04:41 PM   #6
Moonbase59
Zealot
Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Tolino Vision 5, Tolino Tab 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Save As also any time needing Calibre conversion! You still need the odt for full functionality of editing as opening a docx is a conversion!
Yup, I know, but that is still an important tip for others!

(My e-books mostly originate from Markdown sources.)
Moonbase59 is offline   Reply With Quote