Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-30-2022, 10:34 AM   #1
FelixKrull
Enthusiast
FelixKrull is clearly one to watchFelixKrull is clearly one to watchFelixKrull is clearly one to watchFelixKrull is clearly one to watchFelixKrull is clearly one to watchFelixKrull is clearly one to watchFelixKrull is clearly one to watchFelixKrull is clearly one to watchFelixKrull is clearly one to watchFelixKrull is clearly one to watchFelixKrull is clearly one to watch

Device: none
You cannot set time without WLAN? Unbelievable..

Just figured out that I cannot set my kindle time without Wlan...and we all know what happens if a kindle is connected to the mothership.

Really Amazon? Really?

Is there any way to set the time without Wlan, or do I have to stay on daylight saving time the next 6 months?

Getting really sick of this kind of behaviour...

Last edited by FelixKrull; 10-30-2022 at 10:41 AM.
FelixKrull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 10:55 AM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixKrull View Post
Is there any way to set the time without Wlan, or do I have to stay on daylight saving time the next 6 months?
No point in engaging in hyperbole; standard time lasts for less than five months. And with the permanent shift to DST in Europe, you’ll never have to change it again once you muscle through until next March.

Sorry, I don’t have the answer but I couldn’t resist.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2022, 11:05 AM   #3
FelixKrull
Enthusiast
FelixKrull is clearly one to watchFelixKrull is clearly one to watchFelixKrull is clearly one to watchFelixKrull is clearly one to watchFelixKrull is clearly one to watchFelixKrull is clearly one to watchFelixKrull is clearly one to watchFelixKrull is clearly one to watchFelixKrull is clearly one to watchFelixKrull is clearly one to watchFelixKrull is clearly one to watch

Time for abandoning DST altogether...

Well I will create a dummy file with consumes almost all remaining storage space on my kindle so friggin Amazon won't be able to smuggle another annoying update on my device.
Old 10-30-2022, 11:08 AM   #4
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
...and we all know what happens if a kindle is connected to the mothership.
We all self-destruct? ah, I see, the updates! Well, it is still very over the top language to use, even for an annoying software update.

Last edited by Pjama; 10-30-2022 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Updated after update post by OP
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 11:10 AM   #5
FelixKrull
Enthusiast

I guess you didn't understand. Should have made it a bit clearer ….

It is not about privacy, it is about forced updates.

Last edited by issybird; 10-30-2022 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Language.
Advert
Old 10-30-2022, 12:22 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Just figured out that I cannot set my kindle time without Wlan...and we all know what happens if a kindle is connected to the mothership.

Really Amazon? Really?

Getting really sick of this kind of behaviour...
Really bad if the battery is completely flat because instead of using the last database time stamp it reverts to 1970 and much is "broken" till it resets. Some Kindles are Mobile/Cell only and in some countries the compatible signals have been turned off.

I suspect inability to set date is some misguided idea that people could cheat on loans by turning back the date. Amazon ought to issue a FW update to ALL Kindles to allow user to set the date.
Some models old accepted a ;date command in search. Some models do allow time to be set, but not date in Settings.

If your Kindle can be jailbroken, or serial terminal added, or USB networking patched on jailbroken, then you can set the date and time via a command line.

Amazon's Kindle is too Amazon Server centric. You can't easily over-ride incorrect or missing Series data. Collections work better on older Kindles. They expect you to use it purely as a terminal to their server, so called cloud, hence the invasive way Kindle Unlimited works. Even bought books they monitor your usage. It's unacceptable behaviour for something you own.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 12:32 PM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
And with the permanent shift to DST in Europe, you’ll never have to change it again once you muscle through until next March.
Was supposed to happen years ago, but UK Government blocked it. Even after Brexit there is STILL a UK Veto because we can't be having two time zones across the British-Irish border in Ireland.

Irish Standard Time is GMT+1 = Central Europe (Standard Winter) time (CET). So If the clock dance was abolished then only Ireland, UK and Portugal would be on DST (=Summer time). So in Winter, technically Ireland is on IST -1. Spain is due south of UK & Ireland, but I think Franco switched them from GMT to CET. I think the UK is vetoing it because they "invented" the twice yearly change, or they don't want to be "European".

It was 1st invoked in WWI UK to supposedly help the war effort. Germany adopted it soon after and it spread then to the rest of the world. Not used in far north or south, because the day/night changes too much and not used in a band a bit larger than the Tropics (depending on country) as it pointless.

The twice a year change causes accidents and human stress. There is little evidence that this only 105 year old practice actually has any advantage. EU countries each did a poll which came out in favour of scrapping it. Not another Brussels plot as claimed in Westminster. I think most UK is also in favour of scrapping it, but reliable figures are scarce. It's irrelevant to farmers as they can milk when ever suits them.

We could have no time zones at it would work. People would just get up and go to bed at different times, as they do now.

Last edited by Quoth; 10-30-2022 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-30-2022, 12:39 PM   #8
FelixKrull
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post

I suspect inability to set date is some misguided idea that people could cheat on loans by turning back the date. Amazon ought to issue a FW update to ALL Kindles to allow user to set the date.
Some models old accepted a ;date command in search. Some models do allow time to be set, but not date in Settings.

Though one has to say that it is not about the date but about the time. On my older PW2 (which has never ever seen an Internet connection) correcting the time is possible offline without any problems.

I am sure those wise guys at Amazon force Wlan to steal data and force unwanted updates...("back button" gone...)
Old 10-30-2022, 12:40 PM   #9
FelixKrull
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Was supposed to happen years ago, but UK Government blocked it. ..
If they force DST as a standard here in Germany I go nuts...
Old 10-30-2022, 12:51 PM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
If they force DST as a standard here in Germany I go nuts...
The majority in Germany voted to end the clock changes. You'd be on CET (i.e. the Winter time), not DST (which was the +1 summer time, not Winter time.). CET is the original proper year round time in Germany, as is used in Winter before the German Imperial Government copied the British scheme in 1917.

Before railways people used local Solar Time. 12 noon = GMT in Greenwich, England. Each 15 °E is one hour earlier for noon and 15 °W is one hour later for noon, compared to Greenwich. But literally towns could have noon minutes apart. Clockwork timepieces were synchronised to a local sundial any time there was enough sunshine. They'd drift by minutes a day. At the start of mechanical clocks in Europe they only had an hour hand as the accuracy was too poor to make a minute hand worth while.

Originally people called GMT the "Railway time" in England. I think for a while after railways Dublin Time might have been 15 minutes behind GMT. Not sure.

Berlin 13°24′18″E
Vienna 16°22′E
So CET Noon = Solar Noon is a north-south line a bit west of Vienna and a bit east of Berlin.

Last edited by Quoth; 10-30-2022 at 12:59 PM. Reason: More
Old 10-30-2022, 03:30 PM   #11
tabascosw
tabascosw began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
On a PW3 with the latest firmware you can easily change the clock in the settings, even if you are in flight mode. Takes less than 10sec. Strange that you can't do it on a Kindle.
tabascosw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 03:50 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabascosw View Post
On a PW3 with the latest firmware you can easily change the clock in the settings, even if you are in flight mode. Takes less than 10sec. Strange that you can't do it on a Kindle.
The PW3 is a Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 06:31 PM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The PW3 is a Kindle.
Yes. Also you can change time, but not date on a Kindle Keyboard 3 (Last FW 3.4.3), but neither on a Kindle DXG. Presumably the DX is the same (Both last FW 2.5.8).

Last versions vs Kindle model:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...MQC26VQQMM8XSW

I think PW3 = Kindle Paperwhite (7th Generation), last FW: 5.15.1

See https://www.androidauthority.com/whi...-have-1073996/

Amazon official naming is confusing, and @FelixKrull didn't write which model it is, though he has an older PW2 also.

Last edited by Quoth; 10-30-2022 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-30-2022, 07:25 PM   #14
monophoto
Connoisseur
monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Amazon Fire HD8 (2020)
I suggest chilling a bit.

There are probably several million Kindles out there, and a significant number are in the hands of little old ladies who have to rely on their teenage grandchildren to set up their devices for them. My guess is that someone at Amazon realized that there would be fewer user hassles and complaints if they simply retrieved a time signal from the WiFi connection rather than try to explain to users how to find and use a time setting.
monophoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 07:58 PM   #15
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by monophoto View Post
I suggest chilling a bit.

There are probably several million Kindles out there, and a significant number are in the hands of little old ladies who have to rely on their teenage grandchildren to set up their devices for them. My guess is that someone at Amazon realized that there would be fewer user hassles and complaints if they simply retrieved a time signal from the WiFi connection rather than try to explain to users how to find and use a time setting.
Doesn't seem like a logical conclusion? Make setting by wifi the default, and setting manually as an option. After all, we all know little old ladies don't have wifi?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote