Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-30-2022, 04:28 PM   #91
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
That first article seems a bit outdated:

"Alexa shows no sign of slowing down."
"We're so bullish on voice as the future. "

Maybe now, not so much....
Isn't it wild how many digital Potemkin villages there are? There's older ones I've already forgotten, but currently there's Alexa, FTX and soon enough the Metaverse. Though the Metaverse never even gave the illusion of being successful.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 06:22 PM   #92
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
... and soon enough the Metaverse. Though the Metaverse never even gave the illusion of being successful.
Oh, please don't say that! I've just spent my life savings on an ice cream truck at a busy intersection!
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 06:56 PM   #93
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
No, it's abusive
That's your opinion. It was not my opinion. Or my moms opinion. Or my sisters opinion. Or the memory care facility staffs opinion. Or her physicians opinion. Or Hospice care's opinion.
Quote:
and my mother couldn't have used it.
Sorry to hear that. My mom was able to, up until the last few days before her death.

We were lucky that she never forgot our names (me and my sister). Or Alexa's name, for that matter. She might have been slow to recall Alexa's name at times, but she would remember after a while. Just like telephones with large buttons and speed dial are of use for a while before they become too confusing, so was Alexa. There will come a time when those telephones can no longer be used, and when Alexa can no longer be used. My mom lost the ability to use a telephone to contact us, but could still use Alexa to contact us. We consider that a blessing, even if you don't. Eventually, mom would have lost the ability to use Alexa. But she died before that happened.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 09:42 PM   #94
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Oh, please don't say that! I've just spent my life savings on an ice cream truck at a busy intersection!
There's a busy intersection in the Metaverse
Old 12-01-2022, 09:55 AM   #95
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
That's your opinion. It was not my opinion. Or my moms opinion. Or my sisters opinion. Or the memory care facility staffs opinion. Or her physicians opinion. Or Hospice care's opinion.

Nor mine, nor my mom's, when she used it for the last couple of years before passing away at 89.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 09:58 AM   #96
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
So long as Alexa is doing what it currently does, most users will likely be fine.

So long as. I already see signs of her degrading, and if Amazon doesn't support and maintain the infrastructure, most users will maybe have a Bluetooth speaker and nothing more. Fingers crossed.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 11:26 AM   #97
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
So long as Alexa is doing what it currently does, most users will likely be fine.

At least Google Assistant and Siri make sense. They have a home on millions of phones. Alexa was the off one, yet for a while there seemed to be the most popular.

My brother who uses this stuff way more than I do and has used all three said Alexa was the best. He tried moving to Google Assistant when he was mad at Amazon about something or other, but said it just didn't compare.

For me, I like using my Google speakers to set alarms and timers, tell me the weather, maybe play some news podcasts in the morning or play music throughout the day. For my needs that is all they need to do.
I’ve tried them all (Alexa, Google and Siri). I feel as thought the Google assistant is the smartest and most capable. However my set up is 100% Apple. I know that they do work with my Apple devices but I’m missing out on features because I don’t use android devices. So in the end I settled with HomePods mostly for music, speakers for my Apple TVs and to set reminders that go directly to my phone or adding events to my calendar. I also have a large number of echo devices and those are to control my lights, cameras, doorbell and other smart devices. I also use them for timers. I know I could run my smart home from my HomePods but I’ve never found HomeKit to be intuitive and devices tend to be more expensive and more smart devices work with Alexa. I also like the fact that Amazon offer smart speakers with displays, which I find great for displaying pictures, visual timers, visual calendars, watching content when I’m in the kitchen for example.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:34 PM   #98
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
I also like the fact that Amazon offer smart speakers with displays...
Google does too. I have an Amazon one (my only Alexa) that I was given as a gift. I would SO much rather have a Nest Hub. But I don't want to be an unappreciative jerk.
Old 12-02-2022, 08:08 AM   #99
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Google does too. I have an Amazon one (my only Alexa) that I was given as a gift. I would SO much rather have a Nest Hub. But I don't want to be an unappreciative jerk.
The Amazon assistant stuff seems a lot cheaper than the Google assistant stuff. At least for the things I've seen. May not be true for everything.

I have an Android phone, so I have the Google assistant with that. I've given that limited use, because it doesn't do nearly as well (for me) as Alexa. It seems to be much slower to respond. I suppose that could have something to do with my smart phone. It's mid-range, not high end. However, you would expect a $350 smart phone to be able to run circles around a $20 Echo Dot. But it doesn't, in my case. My wife has an iPhone 11. When she talks to Siri, that assistant gets much more confused than Alexa does. But my experiences are based on one Android phone, one iPhone, and seven (?) Echo Dots. Not a huge sample size. In general, I don't like things that rely on third party servers out there in the cloud. But for these voice assistant things, I acknowledge that this reliance is an absolute necessity.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 09:37 AM   #100
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
The Amazon assistant stuff seems a lot cheaper than the Google assistant stuff. At least for the things I've seen. May not be true for everything.
I recently picked up an Echo Flex for £10 (https://www.amazon.co.uk/amazon-echo...dp/B07PDJ9JFF/) just for voice control of the heating, lights etc. It's very quiet and not brilliant sound quality but perfectly OK for voice control purposes.

And Echo Dots good enough for music are only £17 at the moment (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Echo-Dot-3r.../dp/B07PJV3JPR).

Andrew
andyh2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 02:31 PM   #101
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I was comparing it to Apple’s offerings. I’ve had a Google nest hub speaker before. Lovely bit of kit but as I use Apple stuff (phone, tablets, computer, streaming box) Amazon’s offerings were more platform agnostic. I also have HomePods but they don’t have displays.
Old 12-02-2022, 02:33 PM   #102
shanghaichica
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
I recently picked up an Echo Flex for £10 (https://www.amazon.co.uk/amazon-echo...dp/B07PDJ9JFF/) just for voice control of the heating, lights etc. It's very quiet and not brilliant sound quality but perfectly OK for voice control purposes.

And Echo Dots good enough for music are only £17 at the moment (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Echo-Dot-3r.../dp/B07PJV3JPR).

Andrew
I think Google go have sales but I don’t think as much as Amazon. I would have to go out of my way ie go to the Google store page which I rarely every do to know if they were having any sales. However I’m always on Amazon’s page buying other things so notice when they go on sale.
Old 12-02-2022, 03:47 PM   #103
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I have an Android phone, so I have the Google assistant with that. I've given that limited use, because it doesn't do nearly as well (for me) as Alexa. It seems to be much slower to respond. I suppose that could have something to do with my smart phone. It's mid-range, not high end. However, you would expect a $350 smart phone to be able to run circles around a $20 Echo Dot. But it doesn't, in my case... But my experiences are based on one Android phone, one iPhone, and seven (?) Echo Dots. Not a huge sample size.\
I have had the opposite experience and also the opposite sample size: Seven Google/Nest speakers plus multiple Android phones and tablets vs. only one Alexis device which is left in the kitchen. I really dislike Alexa vs. Google, but I suspect it is which one you get used to and how you use it.

As mentioned, my brother preferred Alexa to Google. Funny enough, he's an Apple guy but has never mentioned using Siri/whatever Apple's home stuff is called for his house. Apple was the first to roll out a voice assistant. It looks like they were wise (or it was just dumb luck) not to go all in on Apple Home stuff.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 12-02-2022 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-03-2022, 05:51 PM   #104
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
The thing that annoys me about Alexa is that I have to remember the names of specific skill sets many times, in order to open them first before telling them what to do. And many of the skills, such as the ambient sound ones, have similar-sounding names.

I can say to Alexa, "Play All-Classical Portland on Tune-In" and she does that. But if I say, "Play Gentle Baroque on Calm Radio", she'll tell me that she's unable to do that. I have to first say, "Open Calm Radio", then she welcomes me to it and asks me what channel I want to play. I then say "Gentle Baroque" and it plays.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 10:11 PM   #105
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Are we certain it's the Alexa devices division which has had annual losses of up to $5 billion annually in some recent years?

I'm reading this a little bit differently:

I'm reading that to say that Amazon devices unit in general had an operating loss of more than $5 billion a year. Wouldn't the Amazon’s devices unit include all Kindle readers, tablets, Firesticks/cubes, Echo, Ring, glasses, earbuds, etc... ?

I still don't know what the answer is, but I'm just thinking that the $5 billion loss is not being attributed directly to the Alexa unit itself, but rather the whole of the Amazon devices unit (of which Alexa is a part).
Frankly that number is ridiculous; more in line with a space shuttle to the moon.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote