Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-27-2022, 07:39 PM   #46
Gaqs
Enthusiast
Gaqs began at the beginning.

Device: KT4, PW3
Okay, despite my nervousness a shaky hands I managed to do the jailbreak after 10 or so tries, thanks everyone in the thread and @mreader123 for the help.

So, my process was pretty much how mreader123 described, but I'll try to go into minute detail. This was done on the PW3.

EDIT with the details:

1. downloaded and open ygjsz's MfgTool.exe
2. connected kindle with USB, eject the kindle but keep the USB connected(so you can click "yes" when it's time to restart)
3. went to the restart prompt at settings/device options/restart ("no/yes" buttons--but don't restart yet)(you can also do this before connecting USB)
4. Connected CR501 to TP508 with a paperclip(or wire), you can see the location on luketheluke's comment(CR501 to TP1706 didn't work for me either)
5. while holding the pins, pressed "yes" on the restart prompt
6. kept holding until I saw the "No Device Connected" on MfgTool change to something else, which should probably be "HID device" but it wasn't "HID device" on my PC, but I don't remember what it was. The image on the kindle screen at this point was of the kindle boy under the tree, with some text(I think it was "Please wait a moment while your Kindle starts up.)
7. After seeing the "No Device Connected" change, I stopped holding the pins, and pressed "Start" on MfgTool.
8. Waited for it to install, at some point the popcorn image appeared and the jailbreak started installing, wait for it to do its thing and reboot.
9. After it rebooted I was able to install the NiJule hotfix on the Snapshots thread.

The only thing to note is that my screen displayed the boy under the kindle screen instead of "the same screen as it was before rebooting." as luketheduke described, not sure why, so I relied on looking at MfgTool to see when it worked.

Also, I believe that when entering SDP mode fails, the kindle reboot progress bar comes up, and when entering SDP mode works there's no reboot progress bar, is that right? I wasn't paying attention when I managed to do it. Every time it got to the progress bar I kept holding the clip in place because I thought it entered SDP mode after the progress bar, but now I'm thinking that's not the case, if anyone can corroborate that.

Last edited by Gaqs; 10-27-2022 at 08:54 PM.
Gaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 06:19 AM   #47
katadelos
rm -rf /
katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5, KT, KT2, KT3, KT4, KV, PW2, PW3, PW4, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaqs View Post
Also, I believe that when entering SDP mode fails, the kindle reboot progress bar comes up, and when entering SDP mode works there's no reboot progress bar, is that right? I wasn't paying attention when I managed to do it. Every time it got to the progress bar I kept holding the clip in place because I thought it entered SDP mode after the progress bar, but now I'm thinking that's not the case, if anyone can corroborate that.
IIRC you can't tell whether you're in SDP mode by what's displayed on the screen - this mode is entered directly from the bootrom and the display is only brought up once the custom bootloader is loaded via imx_usb/MfgTool.
katadelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 10:53 AM   #48
Gaqs
Enthusiast
Gaqs began at the beginning.

Device: KT4, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by katadelos View Post
IIRC you can't tell whether you're in SDP mode by what's displayed on the screen - this mode is entered directly from the bootrom and the display is only brought up once the custom bootloader is loaded via imx_usb/MfgTool.
But could one be on SDP mode while the booting loading bar is on the screen and continuously filling up? Or does entering SDP mode happen "before" the point in which the loading bar starts filling?
Gaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 01:15 PM   #49
luketheduke
Connoisseur
luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.

Device: PW3, PW2, KT2, 2xKT, 2xK3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaqs View Post
But could one be on SDP mode while the booting loading bar is on the screen and continuously filling up? Or does entering SDP mode happen "before" the point in which the loading bar starts filling?
When I performed this on my PW3, the backlight turned off then on and it remained on the "USB Storage" while in SDP mode.
luketheduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 08:23 PM   #50
cococode
cococode doesn't littercococode doesn't littercococode doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Smile

Verified working on 5.14.3.0.1!!!
cococode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 11:49 AM   #51
justvisiting
justvisiting began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Managed to get this working on my 5.14.3.0.1 PW3 using MacOS Mojave... then it somehow grabbed my wifi and updated to 5.15.1 and now it doesn't seem seem to work
justvisiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 01:23 PM   #52
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Restart Kindle twice then reinstall JB Hotfix
mergen3107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 09:53 AM   #53
justvisiting
justvisiting began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
Restart Kindle twice then reinstall JB Hotfix
That did the trick, thanks!
justvisiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 07:07 AM   #54
Jingyu233s
Jingyu233s began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Hi, thank you for your effort on this!
I am a new kindle owner from China, my device is KPW3, version number is 5.15.1, it has never been jailbroken before. Can I jailbreak with this program?
Please forgive me as a beginner with almost complete ignorance. Do I need a TTL-USB conversion tool? Very grateful for your help.
Oh, and also, if you need translation or reading work in Chinese, you can contact me, although my English is not very good
Jingyu233s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 05:38 AM   #55
hanakomisa
Neon, she/her
hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2,3,5, Fire HDX 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingyu233s View Post
Hi, thank you for your effort on this!
I am a new kindle owner from China, my device is KPW3, version number is 5.15.1, it has never been jailbroken before. Can I jailbreak with this program?
Please forgive me as a beginner with almost complete ignorance. Do I need a TTL-USB conversion tool? Very grateful for your help.
Oh, and also, if you need translation or reading work in Chinese, you can contact me, although my English is not very good

Yes, it does work on 5.15.1, and no you don't need a serial adapter. Just use something like a tweezer, plug in the device, short TP508 and CR501's right pad (the lone one on the right side that are slightly more rectangular than the others), hold the power button for 15+ seconds while keeping those pins shorted. then you should be able to use either Ygjsz's Windows tool or do it from Linux.
hanakomisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 01:49 PM   #56
QRAK_
QRAK_ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW 3 (Black+White), Kindle PW5
Same happened to me. Unfortunately when I copy Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.16.N_install.bin to the root of the Kindle it deletes it and I can't apply the hotfix. How did You managed it?
QRAK_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 01:50 PM   #57
QRAK_
QRAK_ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW 3 (Black+White), Kindle PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by justvisiting View Post
Managed to get this working on my 5.14.3.0.1 PW3 using MacOS Mojave... then it somehow grabbed my wifi and updated to 5.15.1 and now it doesn't seem seem to work
Same happened to me. Unfortunately when I copy Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.16.N_install.bin to the root of the Kindle it deletes it and I can't apply the hotfix. How did You managed it?

Last edited by QRAK_; 12-28-2022 at 01:53 PM.
QRAK_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 01:16 AM   #58
bbm21
bbm21 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw3
Quote:
Originally Posted by QRAK_ View Post
I'm having this problem as well trying to jailbreak 5.15 on a PW3. Jailbreak runs as expected but kindle complains about the hotfix being invalid and deletes it. I have successfully used this jailbreak for past versions, not sure what I am doing wrong.
bbm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 01:44 PM   #59
katadelos
rm -rf /
katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5, KT, KT2, KT3, KT4, KV, PW2, PW3, PW4, PW5
Updated to add support for KT3, is it possible for the thread title to be edited to reflect this?
katadelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 07:18 PM   #60
ygjsz
ygjsz shines like a glazed doughnut.ygjsz shines like a glazed doughnut.ygjsz shines like a glazed doughnut.ygjsz shines like a glazed doughnut.ygjsz shines like a glazed doughnut.ygjsz shines like a glazed doughnut.ygjsz shines like a glazed doughnut.ygjsz shines like a glazed doughnut.ygjsz shines like a glazed doughnut.ygjsz shines like a glazed doughnut.ygjsz shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: KPW3 KT2 KT3 KV Boox Nova3
Popcorn Jailbreak for KT3 Windows version
link:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xGo...usp=share_link
Happy Hacking!
ygjsz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak, popcorn