Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-22-2022, 04:01 PM   #1
TextBook
TextBook began at the beginning.

Device: Basic Amazon Fire, Andriod
Bookmarks/Annotations Advice

Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice with "syncing bookmarks/annotations".

When an epub is sent to a device, I can then read and mark up with bookmarks, highlights etc.

How do I then get these bookmarks back into the calibre copy of the ebub?

Do I have remove the ebup held in the calibre library and replace with the marked up copy or can calibre itself do this? If so how do I set it up.

Thanks,

Kev.
TextBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 07:03 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sorry, but it's not possible to sync highlights between Calibre and any other program.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 10:29 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use the calibre content server and read in your browser on the device. If you setup user account sin the server then bookmarks/annotations/last read position will allsync automatically across all your devices, per user account.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 01:47 PM   #4
TextBook

kovidgoyal,

Thanks for the advice. Did not know highlighting was available in the content server until I tried it.

The problem I have is that the only computer running 24/7 is a Windows 2012 server and as you know to start the content server I need to log on as a user. This means that every time an update is installed the content server goes offline. I normally leave the server running without interference - provides email and web hosting as well.

It will only be on one device where there will be an ebook with highlighted text that I would wish to keep for future reference. I can do what I want manually.

1) Add the epub to the device.

2) Read and highlight selected text.

3) Delete the library copy.

4) Copy/Move the device version to the calibre library.

My original question was to see if this could be automated.

I have since I first posted been wondering if I could automate this by creating a plugin although the effort might not be worth it for the few books that I need to highlight.

Thanks again for the responce.

Kev.
Old 09-24-2022, 11:11 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You dont need to log on as a user, you should be able to create a wrapper for calibre-server.exe that starts it as a windows service. It's on my TODO list to add support for that myself, but given that I am not a windows dev its rather a low priority.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 07:39 AM   #6
TextBook

kovidgoyal,

Yes about 5 mins after I posted I realised that a "wrapper" was required to run calibre-server.exe as a service.

Luckily I am username TextBook for a reason. Self taught myself VB.net development so it was easy to create a calibre-service.exe as a wrapper for the calibre-server.exe. I have also written an interface should I ever need to change port or library folder or for an instant uninstall of the service.

If any other forum members are interested in my "wrapper" service I would be willing to post the binaries both in 32bit and 64bit together with the source code.

Kev.
Old 09-29-2022, 12:42 AM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TextBook View Post
If any other forum members are interested in my "wrapper" service I would be willing to post the binaries both in 32bit and 64bit together with the source code.
Add me to the list of those who would be interested in seeing the code.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 01:28 PM   #8
TextBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Add me to the list of those who would be interested in seeing the code.
You are the list!

I sort it out then.

Tags
bookmarks annotations